Tulli advice?

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
misu

Tulli advice?

Post by misu » Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:35 am

I ordered some supplements and cosmetics from the US and I had to fill out online customs declarations for the items. Now they've asked for more info and my husband thinks it's because a couple of the items are on the pharmaceutical forbidden list (he looked them up after the fact). Honestly, I didn't know about this huge list of random trivial crap you can't import (melatonin, herbal supplements, etc.). Yes, I know not knowing is not an excuse, etc. Lesson learned. I just want my package of stuff, they can confiscate or take whatever they want if it's forbidden but I had other stuff like cosmetics. My husband is convinced I'll be in trouble (600e fines! Prison sentence!) and isn't being very helpful about the process. Anyone know what happens in this situation if Tulli finds that I've bought forbidden supplements? Is it a serious offense to buy herbal supplements and whatnot? Can't I just tell them to keep any forbidden items and toss it and let me have the rest of my stuff? Wow, what a hassle. I'm never ordering anything outside the EU again.

Tulli advice?

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

ilikepeanutbutter

Re: Tulli advice?

Post by ilikepeanutbutter » Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:37 am

Maybe you can call them and say you didn't know what was on the list of stuff you can't order. You're not a native Finnish speaker. I haven't ever done that though, just a thought. My mom sent me some vitamin C once and Customs kept it, saying it was too high a dose. :roll: Kiitos Isoäiti lol.

The stores called Life here have some stuff that you can't find in pharmacy but it's slim pickens.

I didn't even know there is a list online on forbidden stuff! Do you have a link?

I have no experience in it, just wanted to say I hope it works out!

Kat

FinnGuyHelsinki

Post by FinnGuyHelsinki » Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:43 am

Why not ask Tulli? http://www.tulli.fi/en/contact_us/Questions.jsp Or if there already is someone handling your case, contact him/her. Even from within EU, one cannot import just anything, so you have to be aware of the regulations regardless of the origin.

Beep_Boop

Post by Beep_Boop » Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:00 am

If the item is fully forbidden from being imported to Finland, then it doesn't matter if it's from inside or outside EU (though some restrictions only applies to items from outside EU).

Another thing is that they cannot separate the offending items from the non-offending ones until the case is resolved. The whole package came in your name, so they cannot just send you the good stuff and keep the bad one before the investigation is over. Expect to hear from Tulli or the poliisi (depending on where you live, sometimes they share offices) about this. It's very likely that they'll ask you to come for an interview.

An acquaintance was in a similar situation once. He contacted a lawyer and she told him this: "Deny deny deny. The package isn't yours. Addresses are public and anyone could have ordered it in your name". He did that, and the problem went away after a couple of interviews with Tulli and the police.

The issue in your case is that you accepted the package admitted it's yours by declaring the items and paying the tax. I'm afraid that there will be legal consequences if Tulli want to pursue the case. This can range from a small fine, to a large fine, to a short jail time. In your case, I highly doubt there will be anything more than a small fine because you didn't order large amounts and you're only ordering for personal use.

This issue is serious. I'm not a lawyer, and neither 99.999% of the people on the internet. So please contact a lawyer ASAP and ask for advice.
Every case is unique. You can't measure the result of your application based on arbitrary anecdotes online.

Upphew

Post by Upphew » Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:15 am

http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.

Rip

Post by Rip » Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:22 am

Unless there are narcotics on the list, it seems safe to say that jail sentence is out of the question (this is Finland, after all). A few dozen "päiväsakkoa", I'd guess . How much do you make, will a lawyer have realistic chance to earn his fee?

misu

Post by misu » Wed Feb 18, 2015 2:07 pm

Rip wrote:Unless there are narcotics on the list, it seems safe to say that jail sentence is out of the question (this is Finland, after all). A few dozen "päiväsakkoa", I'd guess . How much do you make, will a lawyer have realistic chance to earn his fee?
No narcotics, it's an herbal liquid supplement for "women's issues", i.e., menstrual cycle regulation. I don't have an income/am unemployed and currently on maternity leave from jobseeking.

Beep_Boop

Post by Beep_Boop » Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:35 am

tummansininen wrote:I'd second the advice to just call them and tell them it was an honest mistake, and ask what to do about it. I doubt you will be speaking to an ogre. They deal with this stuff all the time.
I highly recommend she doesn't do that until she talks to a lawyer. Admitting it's an honest mistake changes nothing really, and she'll be charged with a crime and admitting it will make the result guilty, but of course the punishment will just be a petty fine in her case. Nevertheless, it will be on her criminal record "Importing restricted goods".
My friend has dealt with a very very similar case and that's pretty much what the lawyer told him.

If it's a case with one police officer who is willing to let it go (simple jaywalking or a not-so-serious speeding ticket), yes admitting it's an honest mistake is a good thing. But in this case, the items were logged in the system and an case officer might already be assigned to her case. The officer has a superior for reporting about the case and the bells and whistles that come with that.

Honestly, OP, just give a call to a lawyer you know.
Every case is unique. You can't measure the result of your application based on arbitrary anecdotes online.

Rosamunda

Post by Rosamunda » Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:11 am

Just call Tulli. No one is out to get you (unless you already have a criminal record). They speak English and will give you honest answers. Sooner or later you are going to have this conversation with them anyway, so it is probably to your advantage that you pre-empt their summons!

People turn up at the airport with all kinds of stuff crammed into their luggage and it just gets confiscated and they might get a fine. You are not expected to know the "banned" list off by heart and, to be honest, the US website should not be sending you the stuff anyway. There are similar rules with seeds/plants. The UK website where I buy most of my fruit & veg seeds flags up the items which it cannot ship outside the UK (eg all seed potatoes).

At a minimum, you will be charged VAT on the whole delivery, whether they confiscate it or not.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:36 pm

misu wrote:
Rip wrote:Unless there are narcotics on the list, it seems safe to say that jail sentence is out of the question (this is Finland, after all). A few dozen "päiväsakkoa", I'd guess . How much do you make, will a lawyer have realistic chance to earn his fee?
No narcotics, it's an herbal liquid supplement for "women's issues", i.e., menstrual cycle regulation. I don't have an income/am unemployed and currently on maternity leave from jobseeking.
When you don't have income, you qualify for state legal aid:

http://www.oikeus.fi/oikeusapu/en/index ... fices.html

naga21

Post by naga21 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:10 pm

Hello I have a question? I make a big mistake and order some pills from internet I did not know it was illegal to order of such types of pills.What can I do now?

No one to give me any advice please some body to help me :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: