How would you translate Maapallomallia.

Learn and discuss the Finnish language with Finn's and foreigners alike
rserrano

Post by rserrano » Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:26 am

Hi. I liked a translation in Finnish for a company I'm starting, but I want to be sure that it means what I think it means. So what does it mean Maapallomallia?

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

FinnGuyHelsinki

Re: How would you translate Maapallomallia.

Post by FinnGuyHelsinki » Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:25 am

"Maapallo" = the globe, "malli" = model, "Maapallomallia" depends on the context, on its own one cannot say what it might be referring to

rserrano

Post by rserrano » Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:39 pm

How would you say Model of the Earth, Earth as in Planet Earth.

FinnGuyHelsinki

Post by FinnGuyHelsinki » Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:04 am

What kind of model? The word "model" has various meanings, in order to get an exact translation, you need an exact definition. A globe is "karttapallo". A globe, a mathematical weather model or whatever else, it depends on the context.

Beep_Boop

Post by Beep_Boop » Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:50 am

Also, a bit off-topic, but related, "Maapallomallia" is an awful name for a company.
Every case is unique. You can't measure the result of your application based on arbitrary anecdotes online.

Upphew

Post by Upphew » Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:35 pm

adnan wrote:Also, a bit off-topic, but related, "Maapallomallia" is an awful name for a company.
Indeed. Stick to the base word, Maapallomalli, but even that is so-n-so name for company. Imho. Too long, too descriptive. Also remember that you might target customers outside of Finland and then you have the choice to translate the name if it is descriptive.
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.

rserrano

Post by rserrano » Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:53 pm

Ohh, the name would be Mapalomalia, (no double letters), It's a service to make geological 3D models. I find it more universal than an English name, kind of Wikipedia.

FinnGuyHelsinki

Post by FinnGuyHelsinki » Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:00 am

rserrano wrote:Ohh, the name would be Mapalomalia, (no double letters), It's a service to make geological 3D models. I find it more universal than an English name, kind of Wikipedia.
"Mapalomalia" doesn't mean anything in Finnish, no-one would understand it as a "play" on words, it's just gibberish, so I don't see how that would be more universal. For a universal name, I'd go for something derived from the lingo familiar to the field.

AldenG

Post by AldenG » Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:04 am

FinnGuyHelsinki wrote:
rserrano wrote:Ohh, the name would be Mapalomalia, (no double letters), It's a service to make geological 3D models. I find it more universal than an English name, kind of Wikipedia.
"Mapalomalia" doesn't mean anything in Finnish, no-one would understand it as a "play" on words, it's just gibberish, so I don't see how that would be more universal. For a universal name, I'd go for something derived from the lingo familiar to the field.
At least it sounds Hawaiian. That could be something, I guess. Maybe add a grunt-apostrophe or two and it could be a winner.
As he persisted, I was obliged to tootle him gently at first and then, seeing no improvement, to trumpet him vigorously with my horn.

Tiwaz

Post by Tiwaz » Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:46 am

AldenG wrote:
FinnGuyHelsinki wrote:
At least it sounds Hawaiian. That could be something, I guess. Maybe add a grunt-apostrophe or two and it could be a winner.
Why the hell would company want to sound Hawaiian? "What? You mean you are not selling surfboards?"

Name is long and awkward, but tag in slogan to logo and everyone in English like "Modelling the globe" or whatever describes business idea in short phrase and you have something that should be within grasp of everyone without relying on gibberish.

Jukka Aho

Post by Jukka Aho » Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:49 pm

“Pear-shaped”.
znark