Arrive in Finland with tourist visa and apply for RP?

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
Tarja2905

Post by Tarja2905 » Fri May 15, 2015 4:47 pm

Hello everybody!

My question is as in the topic name: is it possible to apply for RP in Finland with tourist visa?

We got married two years ago but we only stay in Asia as my husband mostly works in Asia. He is now back in Finland to work and I will move to live there. My husband is Finn.

He asked the local immigration office/police service point and was told that I could come with tourist visa and apply for rp in Finland. However I've heard from some people that it is not allowed.

Has anyone here got tourist visa changed to rp based on family ties? Any source specifically confirming this is a great help!

Thank you!

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Rip

Re: Arrive in Finland with tourist visa and apply for RP?

Post by Rip » Fri May 15, 2015 5:09 pm

It is legally perfectly permissible (Aliens Act 50 §). While the residence permit is pending you're just on a tourist status here - no right to work, can't do degree studies and you're outside the local social security/health insurance system, although nowadays they retroactively extend the coverage to the date of you entered the country after your permit has been granted.

(My wife did not actually need a visa to enter here, but otherwise once did that.)

I would not want guess how long the application processing (if applied here) takes. I think I have heard about (basically uncomplicated cases) that have taken anything between few weeks to about half year during the past few years, depending on application time and location.

Tarja2905

Post by Tarja2905 » Fri May 15, 2015 7:04 pm

Thank you for your reply!

At least it is confirmed that I don't need to apply for rp from home country, as I can see that it normally takes much much longer than in Finland.

I need visa to enter Finland and I think I will take Finnish language course asap. One friend of mine applied last year and got the card after 7 weeks. I just hope that it won't take so long as 9 months :(
Last edited by Tarja2905 on Sat May 16, 2015 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tarja2905

Post by Tarja2905 » Sat May 16, 2015 9:06 am

Thanks for your suggestion Tummansininen! Will ask my husband to look for some course there. By the way, hygiene & first aid certificate is quite great idea :thumbsup:

Flossy1978

Post by Flossy1978 » Sat May 16, 2015 9:42 pm

Usually it takes a lot less time to apply outside of Finland. Took me two weeks when I applied outside of Finland.

But anyway, you know your system in your own country :)

Good luck :)

Tarja2905

Post by Tarja2905 » Sun May 17, 2015 9:01 pm

Flossy1978 wrote:Usually it takes a lot less time to apply outside of Finland. Took me two weeks when I applied outside of Finland.

But anyway, you know your system in your own country :)

Good luck :)
Thank you! And yes yes I know, that's why I prefer doing it in Finland ;)