Hello

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Wed May 12, 2004 5:09 pm

SeanK wrote:LOL... as long as the busses are heated! :shock:
What about bus stops? :mrgreen:

Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

SeanK

Post by SeanK » Wed May 12, 2004 5:32 pm

Eeeek.... niiiiiiiiiiiice. :(
I am new here.

Caroline

Post by Caroline » Wed May 12, 2004 8:30 pm

SeanK wrote: The reality is that people have done it, and many of you are living proof.

One little point to keep in mind though, is that it is very easy to do it, but not everyone who moves here is happy. Back when I was learning Finnish and trying to sort out immigration bureaucracy and figuring out how things are done here, I went through a lot of headaches. But now I realize that that was the easy part. The hard part is missing your family and trying to build a relationship with your in-laws. Trying to rebuild your national identity. Trying to sort out which of your customs you should keep and which ones to leave behind. In many ways, Finland has a much lower standard of living than the USA (low purchasing power, cramped homes, expensive car maintenance), so you'll probably need to be prepared to live very differently here than you have been in Arizona.

Anyway, keep us posted on how plans are coming!
Former expat in Finland, now living in New Hampshire USA.

SeanK

Post by SeanK » Wed May 12, 2004 8:57 pm

Thanks for the great viewpoint Caroline. My wife suffers much in the same way here in the states. She misses her family and friends, her home, cultural events like sauna, etc. Over time, it has gotten better... but I do not feel that she will ever stop missing the home that she knows as home.

I was in the Navy. I did six years away from home. I missed my family a bit, but I don't know... maybe it is just different for a guy, or maybe it is just different for me; It wasn't terribly difficult to be away. A phone call here, a phone call there. That was sufficient. I have only my immediate family (Mom, Dad, Sister) to call as I never really had an extended family.

The way I look at it is that I have had my turn. I got to be in Arizona to see my sister get married to a great guy... I got to spend some time with my parents, and they got some time to see their grandchildren. Now it is my wife's turn... and I have a responsibility to do everything in my power to make it a reality... even if I am powerless when I get there.

And besides, with all you guys/gals as my friends how can a man go wrong!? :D
I am new here.

strawberry

Post by strawberry » Wed May 12, 2004 10:21 pm

SeanK wrote:The way I look at it is that I have had my turn. I got to be in Arizona to see my sister get married to a great guy... I got to spend some time with my parents, and they got some time to see their grandchildren. Now it is my wife's turn... and I have a responsibility to do everything in my power to make it a reality... even if I am powerless when I get there.
Oh Sean, what can one say... It will probably not be easy but you are one wonderful person for loving your wife and children that much!! :rose: Boy oh boy, it's great there are some decent men still roaming this globe! :D Sorry about that comment, I do have to try and keep my recently acquired man-basher image up, thou... :wink: Although, I DO think it is great and admirable, really. I sincerely wish you all the very best in your endeavours - you'll do grrreat!

Oh, PS: It really is quite possible to manage without a car within city limits (even in Tampere :wink: ) but not really outside cities = no decent public transport. However, I must say, being the single mum of three, that even within the reach of Helsinki underground, there are many a times I wish I could afford wheels of me own... I.e. if you are used to having a car, you may as well prepare for withdrawal symptoms, even with excellent public transport... :lol:
"Sitaatti on älyn säihkyvä korvike" (Jukka Virtanen)

Richard

Post by Richard » Wed May 12, 2004 10:56 pm

strawberry wrote:Boy oh boy, it's great there are some decent men still roaming this globe! :D Sorry about that comment, I do have to try and keep my recently acquired man-basher image up, thou... :wink:
Carefull strawberry you might go and loss it after all that work :wink: :lol:
Last edited by Richard on Thu May 13, 2004 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

SeanK

Post by SeanK » Thu May 13, 2004 12:50 am

Hey... thanks strawberry. That is quite a compliment, but I think everybody has their days. My wife would say that you caught me on a good one! :wink:
I am new here.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Thu May 13, 2004 8:50 am

Caroline wrote:cramped homes
Naah, just too much crap to clutter them up.

"American king size bed for two - takes the space of a Finnish livingroom"
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

strawberry

Post by strawberry » Thu May 13, 2004 11:03 am

Richard wrote:
strawberry wrote:Boy oh boy, it's great there are some decent men still roaming this globe! :D Sorry about that comment, I do have to try and keep my recently acquired man-basher image up, thou... :wink:
Carefull strawberry you might go and loss it after all that work :wink: :lol:
Gosh, you're right.. Duhh, can't even remove my post now, Richard... :wink: :lol:
"Sitaatti on älyn säihkyvä korvike" (Jukka Virtanen)

Juha H.

Post by Juha H. » Fri May 14, 2004 7:35 pm

SeanK wrote:Juha,

That sounds great... I'll buy you a Karjala, Lapin Kulta, Karhu or other beer of your choice! (that is of course if I have a job :wink: )
Accepted. There are some American beers for you, but you may not like them any more after you've become a connoisseur of the Finnish ones. Years ago in the States the only American beer that was good in my mind was Meister Bräu.

By the way, is Joona Puhakka, the new European swim jumping champ, now popular in Phoenix? That's where he lives I understand.