Obtaining Finnish residence permit

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
sublimation

Post by sublimation » Thu May 13, 2004 11:55 am

This is my situation. I'm an American citizen who is seeing a Finnish citizen. We would like to live together. He has to stay in Finland for awhile to do the obligatory service. I have applied to a Finnish university as a visiting student, but my grade point average at my home university sucks, and it's very possible that I won't be accepted.

If that fails, what other choices are available to me? (Marriage is not an option for him and me.) Also, I don't necessarily want or need to work while I stay in Finland.

Thank you for your time.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

PeterF

Post by PeterF » Thu May 13, 2004 12:03 pm

You are in Finland I asume..not in USA and about to come here with Boy Friend who is about to disappear into the forest for his one year military service.
So assuming you are here...
what type of visa did you use to come here?
valid for how much longer?
have you traveled here before in the last six months.?

Alicia

Post by Alicia » Thu May 13, 2004 2:15 pm

If you are both blokes you can have a commitment ceremony and that is the Finnish version of same sex marriage?

Just a thought.

The other idea is to drop your Uni in USA and apply for an English program in Finland. You'll get in if you have English as your native language. No study fees and then you get your residence in Finland and get to live with your man.

sublimation

Post by sublimation » Thu May 13, 2004 8:55 pm

I am still in the US. He's visited me here. I've never been on Finnish soil. If I can't get there, he's going to disappear into the woods for a year with the army. If I can get there, he says he'll take the civil service alternative. (Are there any negative consequences for doing civil instead of military service, by the way?)

What exactly is an English program? Is it a regular course of studies, except taught in English? Or is it something to do with learning to teach the English language? Which institutions have these English programs?

Again, thank you for your time.

Mook

Post by Mook » Thu May 13, 2004 10:54 pm

sublimation wrote:Are there any negative consequences for doing civil instead of military service, by the way?
It takes a lot longer. I believe that weekends, etc. don't count as "time" when doing civil service. So it could take almost twice as long to complete.

Willeke

Re: Obtaining Finnish residence permit

Post by Willeke » Thu May 13, 2004 11:11 pm

The civil service takes 13 months. 1 month longer then the max. time in the army.
Why dont you take a job as an aupair? Ones you are here its easyer to get a studyplace or work and see how it is to live in finland.

PeterF

Post by PeterF » Fri May 14, 2004 8:36 am

sublimation wrote: What exactly is an English program? Is it a regular course of studies, except taught in English?
The answer is Yes..there are sevearl Univ/Tech/Busuines course which are run in English.
Depends where and what you want to study.
You then can get a students visa valid for the period of the course.
A normal tourist Visa is only valid for 3 months and you have to wait 6 months before coming back a second time.
A longer visit/visa needs a work permit that means you need a job.

sublimation

Money question

Post by sublimation » Wed Jun 16, 2004 4:39 am

To my pleasant surprise, I actually got accepted. However, I'm a little confused by the conflicting instructions between the university guidebook and the Finnish consolate website.

The guidebook says that I have to deposit a sum into a Finnish bank account, but doesn't specify when. Since I apparently have to be in Finland to do that, I assume that I deposit it after I arrive.

The Finnish consolate's website says that I have to send them a letter from my bank stating that I have some certain amount in my account. Because I have to do that to get my permit, I assume that I have to have it before I arrive in Finland.

If that's the case, then who do I have to show my bank statement to after I arrive there and deposit the money?

I'm sorry for all the dumb questions, but this is very confusing to me. I'd ask the consolate directly, but I can't afford to call them this week. Will someone with some experience with this please help me understand what's going on? Thanks again.

P.S. The reason I'm asking is that I'm wondering just how long I have to scrape this money together.

Dan

Post by Dan » Wed Jun 16, 2004 8:42 am

The Finnish Consulate will want to see your U.S. account balance when you apply. The Finnish university will want to see your Finnish account balance after you arrive. One option is to borrow the money and have it transferred into your account. After your permit is issued you can return the loan. Keep in mind one fact, the requirement for having a certain amount of money in your account during your stay is to protect both you and Finland.

Congratulations on your acceptance.