Both Parents Are Finish....Do I qualify???

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
niceguy40

Post by niceguy40 » Sun May 31, 2015 4:07 am

Hello, both my parents are from Finland. They both moved to Canada as young adults. Met in Canada, and got married. So I'm a Canadian Citizen. But my understanding is I should qualify in some way to get my Finish Citizenship since both of my parents are from there.

Can anyone give me some advice or suggestions? How do I get started? :o

(I don't speak Finish btw)

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Rip

Re: Both Parents Are Finish....Do I qualify???

Post by Rip » Sun May 31, 2015 6:42 am

You can definitely get at least a residence permit:
http://www.migri.fi/remigration/descend ... sh_citizen

While it seems likely, you don't really supply enough information if you can get citizenship directly:
http://www.migri.fi/finnish_citizenship ... sh_citizen
(You don't tell if you parents are still Finnish citizens or if they were at least when you were born)

onkko

Post by onkko » Sun May 31, 2015 2:15 pm

Question is were they finnish citizen when you were born + some other formalities.
Caesare weold Graecum, ond Caelic Finnum

niceguy40

Post by niceguy40 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:16 am

What I've been told by my parents is that at the time they came to Canada in the late 50's there was no "dual citizenships". So they had to give up there fin citzship. So when I was born in the 70's I'm pretty sure neither had there Fin citz. But I talked to the embassy, they told me that they could get there fin citz reinstated very easy. But they told me that for some reason that would not help me.

So I would qualify for a residency permit? I'll have to look into that.

Any other info you can provide would be helpful. Thank you.

Upphew

Post by Upphew » Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:25 am

niceguy40 wrote:What I've been told by my parents is that at the time they came to Canada in the late 50's there was no "dual citizenships". So they had to give up there fin citzship. So when I was born in the 70's I'm pretty sure neither had there Fin citz. But I talked to the embassy, they told me that they could get there fin citz reinstated very easy. But they told me that for some reason that would not help me.
Them getting citizenship wouldn't change the fact that they were not citizens when you were born.
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:27 am

niceguy40 wrote:What I've been told by my parents is that at the time they came to Canada in the late 50's there was no "dual citizenships". So they had to give up there fin citzship. So when I was born in the 70's I'm pretty sure neither had there Fin citz. But I talked to the embassy, they told me that they could get there fin citz reinstated very easy. But they told me that for some reason that would not help me.
It doesn't help you because Finnish nationality act doesn't provide any special treatment in your situation. For residence permit purpose your parents don't need to be citizens at the time of application. This means your parents should only apply for Finnish citizenship now if they want it for themselves.
niceguy40 wrote: So I would qualify for a residency permit? I'll have to look into that.
yes

niceguy40

Post by niceguy40 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 6:08 am

How long would I have to live in Finland before the residency switches into a citizenship? Someone told me 4 years? Or is there a certain number of years before a resident becomes a citizen? Or how does that work? Thank you.

Upphew

Post by Upphew » Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:44 am

niceguy40 wrote:How long would I have to live in Finland before the residency switches into a citizenship? Someone told me 4 years? Or is there a certain number of years before a resident becomes a citizen? Or how does that work? Thank you.
http://www.migri.fi/finnish_citizenship ... quirements
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.

onkko

Post by onkko » Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:57 am

niceguy40 wrote:How long would I have to live in Finland before the residency switches into a citizenship? Someone told me 4 years? Or is there a certain number of years before a resident becomes a citizen? Or how does that work? Thank you.
Both parents finnish, you will get citizenship with declaration "yes im a finn" "ok". There were old rules but current says that if you came from finnish mother then you are a finn or if you came from finnish father then if agreed that its your father then you are a finn.

Old rules had "no double citizen" stuff but current says you are a finn by law if your info was correct.

So you have just declare that you are a finn in finnish embassy if you arent already. Bring all papers like your birth certificate and your parents certificates etc. In finland you get those in local maistraatti where all born/death is registered. For example my show "boy from xxx xxx and xxx xxx born in 22.03.1977 name xxxx" And these papers go 1800s.
Caesare weold Graecum, ond Caelic Finnum

caster

Post by caster » Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:15 am

It takes approx 5-7 months depending your declaration form is complete by all means and verifiable as said above.
I'm gonna make him an offer he can't refuse. I'm gonna grant him all my old underwears that fit his head helping his nose stays in place

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:18 am

onkko wrote:
Both parents finnish, you will get citizenship with declaration "yes im a finn" "ok". There were old rules but current says that if you came from finnish mother then you are a finn or if you came from finnish father then if agreed that its your father then you are a finn.
The OP commented in this thread that neither parent had Finnish citizenship at the time of birth so declaration is not possible.

AldenG

Post by AldenG » Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:59 am

I'm sure you're a nice guy and all that, but I'm curious: what makes you want to leave Canada for Finland?

In some ways, Finland is like Canada only without most of Canada's magnificent scenery and with far less elbow room and less opportunity - plus not many native English speakers become fluent enough in the language to talk about deeper ideas or feelings. Indeed many have trouble just buying stuff from the window at a kiosk.

Have you successfully learned a second language to a conversational level in the past?
As he persisted, I was obliged to tootle him gently at first and then, seeing no improvement, to trumpet him vigorously with my horn.

niceguy40

Post by niceguy40 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:14 am

If I try and do a "Finish Declaration" and for some reason that isn't successful, can I still apply for a residency permit?

niceguy40

Post by niceguy40 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:17 am

AldenG wrote:I'm sure you're a nice guy and all that, but I'm curious: what makes you want to leave Canada for Finland?

In some ways, Finland is like Canada only without most of Canada's magnificent scenery and with far less elbow room and less opportunity - plus not many native English speakers become fluent enough in the language to talk about deeper ideas or feelings. Indeed many have trouble just buying stuff from the window at a kiosk.

Have you successfully learned a second language to a conversational level in the past?
Sorry I can't go into details. But the main reason is I just want to try something new in life before I get to old to take a chance.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:30 am

niceguy40 wrote:If I try and do a "Finish Declaration" and for some reason that isn't successful, can I still apply for a residency permit?
yes