Is this right?

Learn and discuss the Finnish language with Finn's and foreigners alike
cssc

Is this right?

Post by cssc » Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:26 am

fly with the clouds= lentääpilvien
Not that I trust googletranslate or anything. I would have put 'kanssa' in there.

Is this right?

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

AldenG

Re: Is this right?

Post by AldenG » Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:33 am

First off, what does 'fly with the clouds' mean in English? You can translate the individual pieces 'correctly' and still end up saying something quite different.
As he persisted, I was obliged to tootle him gently at first and then, seeing no improvement, to trumpet him vigorously with my horn.

cssc

Post by cssc » Sun Jun 21, 2015 12:00 am

It's a feeling I guess. If i'm on the swing looking up while listening to epic music, I feel like I'm flying with the clouds. But the point is, is it correct in Finnish to combine a noun with a verb like that to say something is 'with' that verb???

AldenG

Post by AldenG » Sun Jun 21, 2015 6:08 am

The trouble with lennän pilvien kanssa is the same as I'm flying with the clouds in English, only moreso: it's grammatically possible but semi-implies the clouds are performing a deliberate act of flying, and you're doing it along with them.

Lennän pilvissä (I'm flying in clouds) sort of gets where you're trying to go, if you're determined to link your mood to clouds, but it can also sound like a non-technical but nonetheless factual description of your flight status.
Maybe Liitelen pilvissä (I'm soaring/gliding in clouds) does it better. It would clarify your intent to say Mieleni lentää pilvissä or Mieleni liitää pilvissä or Mieleni liitelee pilvissä. Then it's definite that you're talking about your spirits/mood.

Just be careful not to say something like Olen pilvessä, as that says you're high in a different way.

Lennän pilvien korkeudella (I'm flying at the height of clouds) would be a more prosaic way of reporting your altitude with reference to clouds if you were not talking about your mood.

Being somewhat conservative in a spirit of mistake-avoidance, I would probably choose something like Mieleni riemastuu or Olen riemuissani. Riemu is a spirit of elation or exhilaration.

Someone will probably come along and say that sounds like Sinuhe, but that's my 2 cents.

I don't really associate clouds with elation or exhilaration. To say what you're saying in English, I would just say my spirits were soaring or I was elated. The usual cliché is for spirits to soar like an eagle or a hawk. So you could choose a different bird and say you your spirits were soaring with skylarks or some such.
Last edited by AldenG on Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
As he persisted, I was obliged to tootle him gently at first and then, seeing no improvement, to trumpet him vigorously with my horn.

AldenG

Post by AldenG » Sun Jun 21, 2015 6:10 am

P.S. Google Translate is not only poor at producing Finnish, it will leave you worse off than you probably were in the first place. AldenG Translate is not native level, but at least it's not Google Translate.

Jukka Aho

Post by Jukka Aho » Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:41 pm

AldenG wrote:Lennän pilvissä (I'm flying in clouds) sort of gets where you're trying to go, if you're determined to link your mood to clouds,
Sounds fine to me. I could easily imagine lyrics to a pop song containing that phrase verbatim with the suggested meaning. Especially if the context supports the interpretation that it is about a blissful mood or a mood with a particularly good "flow" to it.
znark

Kayttaja1

Post by Kayttaja1 » Sun Jun 21, 2015 2:24 pm

Water under the bridge = Menneen talven lumia :roll:

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Sun Jun 21, 2015 6:56 pm

Jukka Aho wrote: I could easily imagine lyrics to a pop song containing that phrase verbatim with the suggested meaning

"By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes."

cssc

Post by cssc » Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:57 pm

Thanks guys. I did mean that I feel like I'm physically up there, among the clouds & moving with them.
I googled alden G & nothing came up. ??

AldenG

Post by AldenG » Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:52 am

cssc wrote: I googled alden G & nothing came up. ??
Oh well, it has probably been discontinued or something.