Does knowing Finnish guarantee anything?

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
Hyyrynen

Post by Hyyrynen » Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:23 pm

So, I've been studying Finnish for some years now out of pure hobby and I'm able to hold a conversation without any problems with Finns. I never really thought about moving to Finland, but, since I was able to learn the language, I wonder if there's anything that I can gain from this as far as moving to Finland is concerned? Are there government programs for foreigners who already know the language? Is there a different process for those like me? Is is possible to, for example, gain citizenship (I know it's a stretch) or something like that just by knowing the language? I'm just curious. I'm 23 and I'm from South America..

Thanks.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Beep_Boop

Re: Does knowing Finnish guarantee anything?

Post by Beep_Boop » Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:12 pm

Knowing the language, by itself, guarantees nothing like you're describing. However, it can give you a good advantage. For example, if you have marketing/sales degree (or work experience) and you apply for a position at company looking to expand/internationalize, knowing 3 languages (with Finnish one of them) can look very attractive.

After you've moved to Finland and lived here for 4-5 years, then you can apply for a citizenship. Knowing the language at that point makes things easier for you because knowing the language is a requirement for citizenship.
Every case is unique. You can't measure the result of your application based on arbitrary anecdotes online.

Hyyrynen

Post by Hyyrynen » Mon Sep 14, 2015 5:45 pm

adnan wrote:Knowing the language, by itself, guarantees nothing like you're describing. However, it can give you a good advantage. For example, if you have marketing/sales degree (or work experience) and you apply for a position at company looking to expand/internationalize, knowing 3 languages (with Finnish one of them) can look very attractive.

After you've moved to Finland and lived here for 4-5 years, then you can apply for a citizenship. Knowing the language at that point makes things easier for you because knowing the language is a requirement for citizenship.
That's too bad. Thanks.

AldenG

Post by AldenG » Tue Sep 15, 2015 4:10 am

I've heard there's some kind of honorary "Speckled Loony" award given to certain English speakers outside Finland who manage to teach themselves passable Finnish. There's no cash with it, just a wooden decoy of some kind.
As he persisted, I was obliged to tootle him gently at first and then, seeing no improvement, to trumpet him vigorously with my horn.

David Junior

Post by David Junior » Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:31 am

It should in theory... it definitely shoud.

Considering the never ending cerebral "onanism" about the supposedly essential role of finnish proficiency.

Put it simple, having some more or less influential next of kin "guarantees" you a lot more
than knowing how to say "Yksi kieli ei ikinä riitä" for example.

On the other hand knowing how to pronounce correctly greetings and salutations in the local language
is certainly helpful to make a good impression socially speaking and also it shows a dutiful respect
to the people you are talking to while your in-laws introduce you.

:-)

Hyyrynen

Post by Hyyrynen » Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:02 pm

David Junior wrote: having some more or less influential next of kin "guarantees" you a lot more
than knowing how to say "Yksi kieli ei ikinä riitä" for example.
Haven't got any. Which is why I wanted to know whether the proficiency itself could be enough for something.

David Junior

Post by David Junior » Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:29 pm

Dear Hyyrynen,

Starting from the general premise that nothing can be guaranteed 100% in this world
the circumstance of being proficient in Finnish will help you significantly on many levels.

(1) Socially, will help you get into more circles than it would be possible if you didn't
and possibly also get yourself to more easily meet your significant other in the near future
and be accepted by society at large which in turn might bring useful connections.

(2) It "debunks" the only legal requirement that anyone can officially state for you not getting
into a specific position without breaking any anti-discrimination law. It is called the "language" excuse.

(3) To put it differently : Rasismi on täällä ongelma, ei kielitaidon puute.
Kielitaitoa käytetään tekosyynä, todellinen syy on väärä ihonväri tai kansallisuus.

(4) Remember to have your finnish language tested and CERTIFIED and bring it with you at all times
together with a conveniently positioned audiorecorder, one of those pocket-size that you can bring incognito
without being noticed than look for a good labor law expert to assist you (työlainsäädännön asiantuntija)
and have fun.

Apart from that you can think to open an independent activity of your own.
Which is always highly advisable.

Best Regards

:-)

Hyyrynen

Post by Hyyrynen » Sun Sep 20, 2015 11:30 pm

These tips have no use for me. I'm not in Finland and I have my own life here in my home country. I made this thread just out of curiosity. You understood it all wrong.

David Junior

Post by David Junior » Sun Sep 20, 2015 11:51 pm

Hyyrynen wrote:These tips have no use for me. I'm not in Finland and I have my own life here in my home country. I made this thread just out of curiosity. You understood it all wrong.
Ahhhhhhhh....

Just... out of curiosity ....

OK then

Just out of curiosity ... you get ... nothing

simple

:D

cors187

Post by cors187 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:49 am

Knowing finnish language gives you opportunity to apply for those daily jobs that never get you anywhere in life.

masao

Post by masao » Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:04 pm

Hi.
Well said, Cors 173.
Everything has its price, just like the old Million Dollar Man used to say.
Knowing Finnish has its cost. Not knowing it also has its cost as well.
Comparing the two, I sincerely think that it's no use spending your precious time learning the language.

Finland is a second division country whose welfare depends totally on Russia (used to be Soviet Union).
It is located in the west, but like a little dog, its ears are turned to the East, trying not to miss a single word
Putin says. :shock:
I've seen Kekkonen and up to Niinistö, too. Nothing changes.

t, masao
Bone, Thugs, 'n' Harmony

Hyyrynen

Post by Hyyrynen » Sat Nov 14, 2015 4:29 am

Hello,

I'm bumping my thread because I have a new question. In addition to what I said in the original post, what would it be like if I also held a EU/Schengen passport? How many doors would open? What would it be like?

Thanks.

rinso

Post by rinso » Sat Nov 14, 2015 7:06 am

Hyyrynen wrote:Hello,

I'm bumping my thread because I have a new question. In addition to what I said in the original post, what would it be like if I also held a EU/Schengen passport? How many doors would open? What would it be like?

Thanks.
Being a foreigner is a disadvantage. Being EU is slightly less of a disadvantage than being of a country with a more questionable reputation.
Accept that you face an uphill struggle, even with (some) Finnish and a EU-passport.

Rosamunda

Post by Rosamunda » Sat Nov 14, 2015 11:03 am

Hyyrynen wrote: What would it be like?
What would what look like?

There is no point coming here (or anywhere else) without some kind of a plan or a personal goal. People come here to study (ie to get a degree at a relatively low cost), others come here because they have met someone they would like to live with and/or raise a family. And there are many others reasons.

Of course, speaking the language is a huge plus. But living here is about much more than the language. What do you want to do here? What are your skills, or what skills do you want to develop and what kind of lifestyle are you looking for? We can't answer those questions for you.

tuttu

Post by tuttu » Sat Nov 14, 2015 11:53 am

hyyrynen,
what sort of answers are you looking for? what doors? what possibilities?
just any job, your area of expertise, making new social contacts with people, finding a partner?
there's so much you're not clarifying.

fwiw,
my experience is that many finns are happy to speak english to a foreigner, and build a friendship based on that, but when a foreigner speaks passable finnish and is more or less integrated, it rather confuses them.
not all finns, no. esp. in the capital region things are a little more open. but you might encounter this.
i'll never forget how i once talked to a friend, who had another guy with him, who was speaking broken english to me. so my friend says: "you know, tuttu also speaks finnish very well!", and to confirm i started speaking finnish. after that the other guy hasn't said a word...