Help me move to Finland II

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
Kössi K

Re: Help me move to Finland II

Post by Kössi K » Sun Sep 20, 2015 3:19 pm

Indeed ^^^what Betelgeuse and the others said.
Also many people don't know that if you do not have a degree of some sort (finished studies in vocational, uni, applied sciences, etc.), you will not be eligible for even the lowest basic labour market subsidy until 21 weeks/5 months from applying (for which you need the rights to even apply). There is a waiting period for people entering the job market, those who do not have some completed vocational training or other degree in their home country.
The TE-toimisto workers will decide which ones are applicable, or equivalent to local ones - so, e.g. half a year or 1 year of studies or some minor certificate isn't enough.

If you have work experience in Canada already, why not go there again? Much easier to integrate with those language skills and previous experience. I certainly wouldn't rule it out.

Joha mie sanoi, vaikken mittää virkkant.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

pazzo50

Post by pazzo50 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:21 am

Thank You, guys , for your kind replies. I really appreciate it. Immigration to Canada is points based, one applies outside of the country to a consulate, gets evaluated, gets an interview within a year, and if accepted, gets landed immigrant status, the equivalent of permanent residence(green card in the USA). Now, most points are rewarded for PhD, and years of experience in intended occupation in Canada. I don't score many points in this regard, so Canada is not an option for me. The reasons I got interested in moving to Finland are: I want to learn a new language and experience a new culture, the uniqueness of Finnish nature, the Finnish attitude - humble, honest and fair, I know one of the official languages(Swedish), which I believed would help me integrate/find job(but from what I learn in this forum thats not much of an advantage here, they say). So the main questions for me to clear are: will I get successfully registered as self supporting EU migrant, will I get an integration plan from TE and/or will I find a job within a reasonable time frame, will I adapt and integrate in society? Is it really so impossible to find a job, any job without the Finnish language?
Last edited by pazzo50 on Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

rinso

Post by rinso » Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:32 am

will I get successfully registered as self supporting EU migrant,
I doubt it
will I get an integration plan from TE
maybe, but the plan is often not more than being on the waiting list for a free language course.
will I find a job within a reasonable time frame
no
will I adapt and integrate in society?
if you live in a Swedish speaking part of the country it is quite possible.
Is it really so impossible to find a job, any job without the Finnish language?
You have three handicaps; your age, no language and being a foreigner. What do you think?

pazzo50

Post by pazzo50 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:12 am

Thanks, Rinso. The real picture is slowly starting to sink in on me:

1) In the first 3 months - chance of finding a job without Finnish language close to 0%.
2) After 3 months - registry as self supporting EU migrant with 12K E - at discretion of poliisi, chance 50%/50%.
3) Even if registered, integration plan in most cases nothing more than being put on a waiting list for a Finnish language course, waiting period up to a few years. No KELA benefits or labor market subsidy.
4) Even after learning some basic Finnish, chance to find a job at 50+ - close to zero.
5) Spending most of the 12K in a year or so, then having to choose from:
a) joining the homeless bums on the street
b) leaving the country
Last edited by pazzo50 on Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

rinso

Post by rinso » Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:48 am

Thanks for waking me up from my dream(illusion) of the good life in Finland. God bless You.
I'm sorry I shattered your dream but it is better to wake up now than end up in a nightmare.

The "do not come to Finland" advice from the regulars in this forum might seems harsh but it is often a good advice. The American dream; "if you try hard enough you'll succeed" doesn't work in Finland. Some will succeed but many won't.

esox

Post by esox » Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:09 am

As usual people painting a bad picture of things here which as all ways, is really ironic for a forum of foreigners. If you are willing to do anything it will be fine, the agencies will employ you at least in kitchens and if you do get on the free language course kela does pay out enough to scrape by on anyway. Then you can dig into savings as well. If you are already here then its a lot easier to find work.

What is really annoying is of you claim asylum here you have everything for free including clothes and food, with little background checks and passport not required. eu citizens are treated like criminals and you have to really try to be allowed in.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:37 pm

tummansininen wrote: Benefits are for taxpayers, for Finns and people here for family reasons. Not for EU / economic opportunists.
You have a wrong understanding of the Finnish social security system. The Finnish system is based on residence, not work.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:07 pm

tummansininen wrote:
betelgeuse wrote:
tummansininen wrote: Benefits are for taxpayers, for Finns and people here for family reasons. Not for EU / economic opportunists.
You have a wrong understanding of the Finnish social security system. The Finnish system is based on residence, not work.
You can't just walk in as an EU resident then hold out your hand to Kela for cash, and you know it.

Kela is not a free cash service for everyone in the EU who thinks Finland looks like a nice place to live!
Yes you can if your bank account is healthy enough to register. The Finnish legislation puts the hurdles in the Aliens Act. Once you get residence, then you are entitled to Kela. Income support from municipalities is the main deportation criteria but with money for EU registration it's not available any way:
have for themselves and their family members sufficient funds and, if necessary, health insurance so that, during their time of residence, they do not become a burden on Finland’s social security system by resorting repeatedly to social assistance provided in the Act on Social Assistance or other comparable benefits or in some other similar manner
I don't know where the courts draw the line for deportation. Certainly not for things like child benefits.

pazzo50

Post by pazzo50 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:51 pm

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Last edited by pazzo50 on Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:03 am, edited 2 times in total.

pazzo50

Post by pazzo50 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:02 pm

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Last edited by pazzo50 on Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:02 am, edited 2 times in total.

pazzo50

Post by pazzo50 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:48 am

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa