Are the mosquitos really bad in Finland?

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
Jukka Aho

Re: Are the mosquitos really bad in Finland?

Post by Jukka Aho » Sun Sep 27, 2015 3:03 pm

Tekniikan maailma reviewed mosquito traps in a past issue (22/2011).

Here's a teaser article of that review. The actual, full review has pictures and the results, but the archived digital version is only available to subscribers. Or you could maybe find it in the local public library.

I do not have that issue at hand and cannot recall which one of the reviewed products was determined to be the best, but they got noticeable results for their test environment (a 3000 m² detached home lot in Tuusula.) The traps are basically little genocide machines for the local mosquito population.

znark

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Upphew

Post by Upphew » Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:00 pm

Jukka Aho wrote:Tekniikan maailma reviewed mosquito traps in a past issue (22/2011).

Here's a teaser article of that review. The actual, full review has pictures and the results, but the archived digital version is only available to subscribers. Or you could maybe find it in the local public library.

I do not have that issue at hand and cannot recall which one of the reviewed products was determined to be the best, but they got noticeable results for their test environment (a 3000 m² detached home lot in Tuusula.) The traps are basically little genocide machines for the local mosquito population.
The test was in 11/2011, not 22 that you linked. All models did what they advertised. Skeeter also got other stuff that Mosquitos didn't, but it wasn't as effective and used more gas. TM speculated that the other two might have taken some mosquito from the Skeeter's area. Prices: 525-995. Plus the gas bottle, composite ones go for a 100€. So you better hate those buzzing insects a lot.
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.

Piet

Post by Piet » Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:00 pm

Upphew wrote:
Jukka Aho wrote:Tekniikan maailma reviewed mosquito traps in a past issue (22/2011).

The test was in 11/2011, not 22 that you linked. All models did what they advertised. Skeeter also got other stuff that Mosquitos didn't, but it wasn't as effective and used more gas. TM speculated that the other two might have taken some mosquito from the Skeeter's area. Prices: 525-995. Plus the gas bottle, composite ones go for a 100€. So you better hate those buzzing insects a lot.
Wonderful machines but not really convenient when you go hunting or picking berries in the forest..Image
If god would give us the source code, we could change the world

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:48 pm

"By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes."

Jukka Aho

Post by Jukka Aho » Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:12 pm

Is it just me or have these embedded YouTube videos stopped working on this forum? Your message above shows as blank when viewed normally. (I quoted it and removed the embed codes in the quote so people can at least see the naked URL.)
znark

Upphew

Post by Upphew » Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:15 pm

Jukka Aho wrote:
Is it just me or have these embedded YouTube videos stopped working on this forum? Your message above shows as blank when viewed normally. (I quoted it and removed the embed codes in the quote so people can at least see the naked URL.)
At least now it seems to be fine.
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.

Jukka Aho

Post by Jukka Aho » Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:14 pm

Upphew wrote:
Jukka Aho wrote:Is it just me or have these embedded YouTube videos stopped working on this forum? Your message above shows as blank when viewed normally. (I quoted it and removed the embed codes in the quote so people can at least see the naked URL.)
At least now it seems to be fine.
Oh, OK. It was the FlashBlock extension on Firefox. It is supposed to prevent the infuriating autoplay of Flash content, only allowing anything Flash-based to run when explicitly clicked (which should be the default, anyway.) Has worked fine for me for years. But it now seems the latest releases of Firefox have become partially incompatible with it. Instead of just preventing Flash from running automatically, it now appears to hide embedded Flash content on some sites. Whitelisting the problematic sites does not help. Switching the blocking functionality off the normal way from the UI does not help. Disabling or uninstalling the extension altogether is the only way to remedy the situation.

Edit: Found another extension with similar functionality: "Click to play per-element". Seems to work. So all is now fine and dandy. I guess.
znark

niceguy40

Post by niceguy40 » Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:37 pm

Piet wrote:
AldenG wrote:The species I've been "bitten" by in Finland have really wimpy bites compared to all the North American mosquitoes I've ever encountered. The Finnish bites fade in hours (if that long), the North American ones in days.
Weird, with me it is the other way around and the Finnish ones really really love my blood, the ¤%&""#¤ vampires.

But... the only thing that actually really works is the Bug zapper lamp for inside.. and for outside use the repellent spray, but use the concentrated one 500mg/g solution, the mild ones do not work...(should be at least above 250mg/g) and reapply after 2 hours, don't trust the mentioning of 8 hours on the package. Make sure you have a big tube of Hydrocortison 2,5% or Bemetson 0,1% in your pocket and apply right after being bitten. Than you will survive. :wink:
north america has the biggest mosquotes in the world. But there not that big of a deal because they fly kinda slow. The worst are the smaller faster flying ones that can just land and reland super fast. They're like that here before they get big and that's when they're really annoying.

natives

Post by natives » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:17 pm

What I would say is that IF YOU CHOOSE YOUR PLACE AND TIME WELL, YOU DON´T NEED MOSQUITOE REPELLENTS ( I never use them myself, I´m native Finn and spend a lot of time out in nature both summer and winter.

To get an idea what I´m talking of go visit http://glampingfinland.fi/planningguide.html (almost at the bottom of the page)

It´s just about where you go.... :)