Moving to Kajaani and question about health cover

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
ccraltro

Post by ccraltro » Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:08 pm

Hello everyone ,
I've been lurking and reading on this forum for a while soaking up lots of useful information. As we are moving from the UK to Kajaani on Sunday I figured it's about time I step out of the shadows and say Hi! Myself and my two children , ages 3 and 6 are moving to Kajaani as I'm marrying my lovely Finnish man next month . Is anyone else on here based anywhere near Kajaani? I have some friends in the area but it would be lovely to meet some more ! As I'm ticking the last few things off my to do list ready for Sunday's move I started thinking more about travel insurance/ healthcare so would appreciate some advice . We all have our EHIC cards , will we need any further cover till we are fully registered residents ? I want to make sure we are properly covered as would hate to find out the hard way if something were to happen to any of us . Should I just get regular travel insurance to cover us in the interim or is there something more suitable ? Thanks in advance for your help and advice !

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Upphew

Re: Moving to Kajaani and question about health cover

Post by Upphew » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:06 pm

ccraltro wrote:Hello everyone ,
I've been lurking and reading on this forum for a while soaking up lots of useful information. As we are moving from the UK to Kajaani on Sunday I figured it's about time I step out of the shadows and say Hi! Myself and my two children , ages 3 and 6 are moving to Kajaani as I'm marrying my lovely Finnish man next month . Is anyone else on here based anywhere near Kajaani? I have some friends in the area but it would be lovely to meet some more ! As I'm ticking the last few things off my to do list ready for Sunday's move I started thinking more about travel insurance/ healthcare so would appreciate some advice . We all have our EHIC cards , will we need any further cover till we are fully registered residents ? I want to make sure we are properly covered as would hate to find out the hard way if something were to happen to any of us . Should I just get regular travel insurance to cover us in the interim or is there something more suitable ? Thanks in advance for your help and advice !
"If you intend to take up permanent residence in Finland, you will normally be covered by the Finnish social security system and will qualify for Kela benefits as soon as you move to Finland."
http://www.kela.fi/web/en/moving-to-finland

edit. moving to Finland might have given you answer faster.
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.

tuttu

Post by tuttu » Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:40 pm

have you ever visited kajaani before moving there?

Flossy1978

Post by Flossy1978 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:15 pm

She said she has friends there. So one would assume she has visited.

ccraltro

Post by ccraltro » Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:05 am

Hi and thank you for your replies and the link was very helpful. Yes I've spent a good amount of time in Kajaani and Finland in general and it seems like a very good place for me and my family and I have some good Finnish friends for support and company and my partners family are very kind and friendly . I've only got two nights left in England so feeling a but emotional from all the goodbyes but ready and excited to start our new chapter in Finland . Any tips for settling in it adapting to Finnish life would be very welcome .
Thanks again ,
Chloe

Rosamunda

Post by Rosamunda » Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:49 am

Learn Finnish. :idea: