Applying for a resident permit

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
haxx

Post by haxx » Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:32 pm

Hi guys, so I'm going to be in Finland soon enough to visit my wife and we we're wondering if we can actually apply for a resident permit in Finland since I'll be there or do I have to do so from my home country, oh my wife is a Finnish Citizen.

Thank you for reading.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Beep_Boop

Re: Applying for a resident permit

Post by Beep_Boop » Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:46 pm

What passport do you have?
Every case is unique. You can't measure the result of your application based on arbitrary anecdotes online.

sky2

Post by sky2 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:01 pm

adnan wrote:What passport do you have?
I think that does not matter. Whatever passport you hold, if you are able to visit Finland, you can apply for the residence permit once you are here (unless rules have changed recently).

Upphew

Post by Upphew » Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:23 pm

haxx wrote:Hi guys, so I'm going to be in Finland soon enough to visit my wife and we we're wondering if we can actually apply for a resident permit in Finland since I'll be there or do I have to do so from my home country, oh my wife is a Finnish Citizen.

Thank you for reading.
You and your wife don't need to wonder anymore, nor ask from total strangers from internet: http://www.migri.fi/moving_to_finland_t ... sh_citizen

edit. fixed typo
Last edited by Upphew on Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.

Beep_Boop

Post by Beep_Boop » Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:05 pm

sky2 wrote:I think that does not matter.
I think it does.
His question is about whether he can apply in Finland or at the embassy. I just wanted to verify if he can come to Finland without a visa in the first place.
Every case is unique. You can't measure the result of your application based on arbitrary anecdotes online.

sky2

Post by sky2 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:10 pm

You're right but if reread his post, he wrote:
haxx wrote:I'm going to be in Finland soon enough to visit my wife and we we're wondering if we can actually apply for a resident permit in Finland
so according to my understanding, the question was not if he can enter Finland or not, it was if he can apply for the residence permit once he's in Finland.

Flossy1978

Post by Flossy1978 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:41 pm

It'd be quicker to apply from outside of the country.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:14 am

Flossy1978 wrote:It'd be quicker to apply from outside of the country.
I am not sure if this is the case. Applying outside the country goes to Migri which is swamped with asylum seekers. Situation in Finland depends on the local police station. In addition many people need to travel to reach the embassy in their country.

Tarja2905

Post by Tarja2905 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:33 am

I guess it also depends on from which country abroad you apply for resident permit.

I am from SE Asia and I decided to come here and applied in Finland. It took almost three months. I know at least two others applying from my home country and one had to wait for 5 months including 2 months the application was kept in the embassy (don't know why), the other has been waiting for 7 months.

htc

Post by htc » Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:41 am

Hi guys.

We received an invitation to visit police and it is about first residence permit application decision. Personally, I think it is negative decision and they want to make clear that applicant understands the decision. That's why they have given appointment. Can it be something different? Sharing similar experience is highly appreciated.

Thanks.

Tarja2905

Post by Tarja2905 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:38 pm

I was also invited to police station for further interview. I received rp card 3 weeks later. Don't worry and good luck :)

niceboy3434

Post by niceboy3434 » Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:18 pm

haxx wrote:Hi guys, so I'm going to be in Finland soon enough to visit my wife and we we're wondering if we can actually apply for a resident permit in Finland since I'll be there or do I have to do so from my home country, oh my wife is a Finnish Citizen.

Thank you for reading.

U CAN DO IT FROM YOUR HOME COUNTRY