finnish moving companies - way + way, beweship

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
bretti_kivi

Post by bretti_kivi » Wed May 12, 2004 12:02 am

hi,

we've just decided that we're going to move our move.

we're now looking to shift everything mid June. the two companies named above are in the running at the moment to shift it; we're paying ourselves, so they should be reasonable price and sensitivitywise. we're asking for quotes now.

anyone have any experiences they'd like to share? positive and negative? we're moving from just south of frankfurt (odenwald) to Kuopio....

thanks

Bret

"I have no further comments at this time"

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

PeterF

Post by PeterF » Wed May 12, 2004 10:23 pm

Beweship are quite visible here and seem to be busy. I have seen several on route from the German ferrys waggons look smart and well maintained and their drivers dont seem to be cow boys.... ..never heard of the other outfit ..way + way...sorry.

Rosamunda

Post by Rosamunda » Wed May 12, 2004 10:49 pm

Beweship moved us here from Hungary. Didn't break anything but then we ended up doing most of the un-packing ourselves which was a (bad) surprise. Apparently our agreement ended at our front door. It took them several weeks, IIRC, to come back and collect all the packing materials that were piled up under our balcony. So make sure you know exactly what you are getting for your money. Your contract should stipulate exactly what they are going to do.

Victor Ek (or Viktor Ek???) is also quite busy in Finland. You may want to check them out too.

On the whole, any company that can flash an ISO 900* (or whatever) at you is probably OK. Ask for it. And get several quotes. We had differences of OVER 30% when we moved from Paris to Budapest.

bretti_kivi

Post by bretti_kivi » Thu May 13, 2004 12:03 am

beweship have made a positive impression in that they're coming tomorrow (we only contacted them yesterday! - they arranged by phone this afternoon!) to check the flat out and see how much they can charge...
apparently shipping the car would be really expensive? having said that, it can't be more than a one way ticket with finnair - they want 1700 for one way, 841 for return. 1 adult, 1 2yr old, FRA-HEL-KUO. scary stuff.

to be honest, i'd rather unpack myself. wife + daughter to mother in law, get father in law and wife's sister's avomies to come over and help. should be done in a day or so...keeps ukki busy...;)

anyway, i'm impressed with beweship.

we'll contact victor ek and nemi tomorrow and see what happens with them....

Bret

deeplymauritius

Post by deeplymauritius » Sat May 15, 2004 11:49 am

We used, or should I say that the forwarding agent we went through in the UK used, Beweship for the finnish end of the move. They seemed very helpful even though the UK firm made a bit of a mess with co-ordinating with them (see my soon to come guide to moving to Finland). They gave us good assurances and were particularly helpful when we had to send a relative to in HKI to pick-up our stuff as we were in Jyväskylä!!!

good luck with the move
The world was once so nice and shiny then Sh*t happened

bretti_kivi

Post by bretti_kivi » Sun May 16, 2004 12:39 am

thanks!

more info:

beweship's agent came over, checked everything out, asked intelligent questions, generally behaved like a reasonable human being and made a professional impression. i'm very interested in the offer they'll make....

way+way basically didn't bother to get in touch for a week; they've made an offer (with and without moving my car at the same time), and we'll see how that compares hopefully next week. (they say they've sent email and it hasn't arrived....twice(!). I'm a system administrator - you really shouldn't use excuses so poor to someone who knows better...)

we've also tried to get in touch with victor ek; they haven't contacted us yet.

for the record: way + way's offer: six yellow euronotes for moving my car (audi a2 - see sig :) ) from 50 kms south of frankfurt am main, germany to Kuopio.
the rest of the move will cost us approx nine big magenta banknotes.
but in the professionalism stakes, beweship is waaaayyy ahead....

this is going to be fun, i can feel it...:P

Bret

bretti_kivi

Post by bretti_kivi » Mon May 17, 2004 11:38 pm

victor ek have now also come back to us: they're 400 more expensive than way+way... no comment from beweship yet - we'll harrass them tomorrow....

Bret

Rosamunda

Post by Rosamunda » Tue May 18, 2004 8:51 am

Did they quote the same cubic metres... when we were getting our quotes done it amazed me that one firm in Paris said we had over 90 m3 of stuff whereas another said only 50 or so. And our employer would only pay for 35 m3 (stupid rule) so with the first company we would have ended up paying 2/3 of the bill ourselves.

bretti_kivi

Post by bretti_kivi » Wed May 19, 2004 12:05 am

this is the interesting (and problematic) part; i know we've got something like 40m3 of stuff. victor ek and way + way have quoted without seeing the flat; beweship have seen it (or at least their rep.) so i'm interested in the numbers they come up with. we called them today and they claimed they had no information from Germany yet...frustrating....

Bret

bretti_kivi

Post by bretti_kivi » Wed May 19, 2004 11:05 pm

beweship got back to us today.

i'm shocked.

they want 6 big pink notes to move the car.
they want a further 16 big pink notes to move everything else.

they say we have 50m3 stuff - i think that's a little OTT, but the price is ridiculous. €3000 just to transport the car to kuopio????!!!

scary. anyhow, i think we're going to be using way+way. speak to them Monday and see what they have to say....

Bret

Sara

Post by Sara » Thu May 20, 2004 10:38 am

have you considered driving from Germany? I dont think the price is too bad for the ferry. And if you all go in the car it would be cheaper than flying,

Rosamunda

Post by Rosamunda » Thu May 20, 2004 10:52 am

Beweship probably quoted you high because they don't want the business. If they are already busy through summer (eg they do a lot of the Nokia ex-pat personal moves, embassies etc etc) then your "small" amount of stuff does not interest them. You could consider renting a Hertz (or similar) truck and doing the move yourself. Your contents won't be insured for damage and you will have to do all the paperwork yourself, but I don't think that is a big deal inside the EU except for the car. When we moved last time we rented a man with a truck. He helped load the truck (with my husband, me and a couple of friends) and then drove all the stuff to our new house and helped us unload. We had to supply all the packing materials and pre-pack all the boxes and crates ourselves. It was only a local move (ie inside Espoo) but I am sure you could find an independent truck driver in Germany willing to do the same. Or even a Finnish guy. I can't remember how much we paid but if you are interested I can find out.

bretti_kivi

Post by bretti_kivi » Thu May 20, 2004 3:36 pm

i worked this all out before we even asked the companies.
europcar wanted €1200 for the truck for 8 days. 2500km included.
diesel = €250.
ferry = €350
cabin = €200
helpers in DE = €100 (food + drink + "thanks")
packing material = €300

total: €2500.
plus auto transport (OK, i could rent a trailer and hitch it on the truck, but then i'm pushing the weight limits), we're not insured and i have a lot of driving to do - or i ask someone to help and then i need to "thank" them too..... I don't see the point in putting myself through all the stress. plus i have to remontointi here as well....

we did the last two moves ourselves. the first alone, the second with three guys helping. cool, was great, but most of our friends are working.....

@sara: my wife's flying up early to keep the little one out of the way while i pack and organise....

@penelope: understood. we thought about this too, but the difference in price isn't going to be great enough to warrant it...

ssheikh

moving to finland

Post by ssheikh » Tue May 25, 2004 2:00 pm

Hei all,

My first time on the . forum (please be gentle).

My wife and I are moving to Helsinki in Aug and through my wife's work we've received a flyer for a shipping company called dolphinmovers.

has anyone heard of or used this company. ?

Also, seems to be a few people shipping their cars to finland....and being charged extortianate amounts for it. I hereby offer my services.....if anybody is willing to have me drive their car to Helsinki I'll be happy to for free. We're leaving from London early Aug. (no fixed date yet !). We're not moving furniture, just books, homewares, clothes etc so regular saloon would be suffice.

Answers to either or both Q welcome.

S