Need Help With Finnish Systems

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
davidtlewis

Post by davidtlewis » Sun Dec 20, 2015 4:42 am

Hello!

I have accepted a job in Finland and am moving from the states. I am having a difficult time understanding what the benefits would be for my family upon moving. My wife does not have a job (yet) and I have 2 children. I understand they might be able to apply for benefits (unemployment, child benefit, day care benefits), but have not been able to get a good answer on how much that would be and if my wife would be applicable. I also wonder what my take home pay might be. All this in order to try to build a budget for a city I've never been to and a far different (better?) social security system.

Help? Thanks all.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Rip

Re: Need Help With Finnish Systems

Post by Rip » Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:41 am

The child benefit for two children is ~200€/month for the two children total (tax free)
http://www.kela.fi/web/en/child-benefit_amount

Regarding daycare fees / home care allowance/labor market subsidy that may apply it think it would be useful if you told what kind of residence permit you have (if you have it by now) and what kind of contract you have (fixed period (how long) or for "until further notice"?) and how old your children are. Frankly I am bit confused by the rules myself, but somebody here should have recent experience.
Last edited by Rip on Sun Dec 20, 2015 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Beep_Boop

Post by Beep_Boop » Sun Dec 20, 2015 1:30 pm

There are more pressing issues you need to think about; for example, will your take-home salary be enough to fulfill the immigration requirements for supporting your family? According to Migri, in your case you need 2600/month, which is about 4000 euros in gross income. (minus some benefits)

Since you already accepted the job, then you know your monthly salary. You can use this calculator to get your take-home http://prosentti.vero.fi/VPL2016/Sivut/ ... ieli=en-US

Edit: Corrected a miscalculation.
Last edited by Beep_Boop on Sun Dec 20, 2015 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Every case is unique. You can't measure the result of your application based on arbitrary anecdotes online.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Sun Dec 20, 2015 3:06 pm

adnan wrote:There are more pressing issues you need to think about; for example, will your take-home salary be enough to fulfill the immigration requirements for supporting your family? According to Migri, in your case you need 3300/month, which is about 5200 euros in gross income.
How did you get the 3300 hundred?

"If the family consists of two adults and two minor children, for example, the required income totals €2,600 per month (€1,000+€700+€500+€400)."

It also does not seem, that you would have deducted social benefits:

"Certain social benefits reduce the level of income demanded and are described as expense offsetting social security benefits."

This will include at least the child benefit Rip mentioned which puts as at net 2400€. Once Rip's questions are answered an accurate gross income can be given.

Beep_Boop

Post by Beep_Boop » Sun Dec 20, 2015 3:33 pm

betelgeuse wrote:How did you get the 3300 hundred?.
Oops. Looks like I added 700 two times by mistake. I'll correct my original comment.
Every case is unique. You can't measure the result of your application based on arbitrary anecdotes online.

davidtlewis

Post by davidtlewis » Sun Dec 20, 2015 5:49 pm

My take home salary would be enough. I think. A lot of the factors in the take home pay calculator I can't answer (ie. social benefits, child maintenance, travel, location), but it feels doable. A little tight, but ultimately doable. Nothing huge, but enough to hit that benchmark (I think). The job is permanent and my children are 5, 9 years old. Thanks everyone for helping. Really as a total outsider its a dense system.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Sun Dec 20, 2015 8:34 pm

davidtlewis wrote:My wife does not have a job (yet) and I have 2 children. I understand they might be able to apply for benefits (unemployment, child benefit, day care benefits), but have not been able to get a good answer on how much that would be and if my wife would be applicable.
davidtlewis wrote:My take home salary would be enough. I think. A lot of the factors in the take home pay calculator I can't answer (ie. social benefits, child maintenance, travel, location), but it feels doable.
Most likely all the above for you are zero.
davidtlewis wrote: A little tight, but ultimately doable. Nothing huge, but enough to hit that benchmark (I think). The job is permanent and my children are 5, 9 years old. Thanks everyone for helping. Really as a total outsider its a dense system.
Once in the country your wife will be eligible for labor market subsidy. It's fine to have been reliant on it temporarily for the next permit but it can't be included in the calculations for the first permit. If your wife does not get a job, she will most likely be put to Finnish courses.

http://www.te-services.fi/te/en/jobseek ... index.html
http://www.kela.fi/web/en/labour-market-subsidy

davidtlewis

Post by davidtlewis » Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:11 pm

Thanks everyone. Big help. I'll assume I'll figure a lot out as I dig in too. Just nice to have any advice from first-handers. Happy holidays.