Resident Permit Processing Time

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
Arco loka

Post by Arco loka » Sat Jul 04, 2015 4:16 pm

Hi All,
I am a post doctoral scientist in Finland with 2 years of type 'A' residence permit and my wife had applied for a residence permit based on family ties. The application was submitted on 30th March 2015 and the Finnish Immigration acknowledged the same on April 15th 2015. On June 2nd I received a letter from them asking for further clarifications to which I replied on the same day through an email.After that we haven't received any more letters. The last time we called the Immigration they said that the application was getting processed and I assume it has reached the decision making stage. We need to know how long it will take from here to get a decision from them as it is already the 4th month now since we applied. Usually how long does take to hear from them after we replied to the letter asking for further clarifications.
Note: The questions asked in the letter were very straightforward and we supplemented the answers with the required documents.

Thank you,
Arco

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Flossy1978

Re: Resident Permit Processing Time

Post by Flossy1978 » Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:32 pm

No one can tell you, as every case is treated differently.

Don't be calling them all the tine. It only pisses them off and could infact delay your RP even more.

Just wait.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:43 pm

Arco loka wrote:We need to know how long it will take from here to get a decision from them as it is already the 4th month now since we applied. Usually how long does take to hear from them after we replied to the letter asking for further clarifications.
edit: tummansininen pointed in the next comment that this original comment was wrong so ignore it: "You are well above the average processing time so it's hard to tell as Flossy1978 said."

http://www.migri.fi/services/processing ... sing_times
Flossy1978 wrote:No one can tell you, as every case is treated differently.

Don't be calling them all the tine. It only pisses them off and could infact delay your RP even more.

Just wait.
I agree repeated asking is counterproductive. However, in this instance I would consider using once the legal right to get an estimate on when the application will be decided on:

https://www.finlex.fi/fi/laki/ajantasa/ ... 0434#L5P23
Last edited by betelgeuse on Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:39 pm

tummansininen wrote:
betelgeuse wrote:
Arco loka wrote:We need to know how long it will take from here to get a decision from them as it is already the 4th month now since we applied. Usually how long does take to hear from them after we replied to the letter asking for further clarifications.
You are well above the average processing time so it's hard to tell as Flossy1978 said.

http://www.migri.fi/services/processing ... sing_times
Am I reading the wrong one or misunderstanding what you mean by "above the average"? That link says "Spouse of other foreign national 121" is the average processing time, and it hasn't even been four months yet - it has been three months and five days. 121 days is (give or take) four months. This application wasn't standard because they had to ask for clarification, which causes processing delays. So the application is not yet really any kind of overdue.

Which might make the OP re-think whether they yet want to be asking for an ETA.
I mistakenly looked at the times for scientific research.
tummansininen wrote: Regarding the law, is it possible they will simply reply with the average processing times already posted on that site? :(
They are not supposed to just refer to the website. However, they could say that your case is expected to process in the average time and refer to the website for the value.

Arco loka

Post by Arco loka » Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:56 pm

We called the immigration and they said that now they are handling our application.Thanks for the replies and we shall wait.

londun1

Post by londun1 » Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:46 pm

Hey Does anyone know İf guardian of child father can apply the ctizenship , my first resident permit was from 1.11.2013 to 1.11.2014 l renew the permit now I have 4 years valid resident permit from 1.11.2014 to 1.11.2018 ,I just wonder after 4 years do need to apply ctizenship or Permenet reaident (P) ?

Many thanks .

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:35 pm

londun1 wrote:Hey Does anyone know İf guardian of child father can apply the ctizenship , my first resident permit was from 1.11.2013 to 1.11.2014 l renew the permit now I have 4 years valid resident permit from 1.11.2014 to 1.11.2018 ,I just wonder after 4 years do need to apply ctizenship or Permenet reaident (P) ?
No-one needs to apply for citizenship. If you don't satisfy the conditions or don't want to apply, you apply for a permanent residence permit.

londun1

Post by londun1 » Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:37 pm

betelgeuse wrote:
londun1 wrote:Hey Does anyone know İf guardian of child father can apply the ctizenship , my first resident permit was from 1.11.2013 to 1.11.2014 l renew the permit now I have 4 years valid resident permit from 1.11.2014 to 1.11.2018 ,I just wonder after 4 years do need to apply ctizenship or Permenet reaident (P) ?
No-one needs to apply for citizenship. If you don't satisfy the conditions or don't want to apply, you apply for a permanent residence permit.
Why no one need to apply ,I want to apply so ?

sky2

Post by sky2 » Wed Dec 30, 2015 6:28 pm

londun1 wrote: Why no one need to apply ,I want to apply so ?
Did you check migri website, there is detailed information about the requirements and the process.
It's too soon to worry about citizenship right now, you never know if the laws will be same after 4 years but if you will have a reason to stay in Finland by then, you will get your residence permit/citizenship done. No need to worry about that already.

londun1

Post by londun1 » Wed Dec 30, 2015 6:39 pm

I have strong ties here my son is Finnish ctizen ,I'am lived here and still live almost 3 years.
I just wanted to know What I need to do can I apply for Permanet resident or I wait till 1.11.2017 to apply for ctizenships .
My first resident permit was one year secınd one is 4 year second one is end 1.11.2018
İs it better to apply for P or ctizenship When I done my 4 years here .?

leisl

Post by leisl » Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:42 pm

For citizenship you have to pass the YKI at level 3 so if you want citizenship make sure your Finnish is good enough to pass it and register & pay for the exam as soon as you can. The exams fill up in minutes.

Do you mean 11th of January 2013 not 1.11 (in Finland 1.11 is the first of November). Also was your first permit type B.

The first year on a B permit only counts for 6 months. If you are married to the child's father, you need 4 years before applying for citizenship. That means 11th July 2017 you can apply for citizenship. If the first permit was type A you can apply after 11th January 2017.

Both are still before your 4-year permit expires. Then you can apply for citizenship if you want it.