Hungry in Helsinki!

Find information on places to go, things to see, eating out, Finnish food, recipes and more
Galith

Hungry in Helsinki!

Post by Galith » Wed Dec 30, 2015 2:55 pm

Hi, hopefully it's ok to share, but this has been a great community for me to read about other foreigners in Finland and their food quest and conquests, i thought it would be a cool concept to write about and for a few months I have been working on compiling my recipes in an english food blog :) I hope you find interrsting stuff there, but more importantly i'd like to hear if you woukd be interrested in sharing your food stories with me and having articles made about your experience? This is a joint project with a photographer, so you'd also have pictures taken :)

Check out the concept here: http://www.hungryinhelsinki.com

You don't have to be in Helsinki to be part of it :)

What do you desire? What are you willing to give up to get it?

Hungry in Helsinki!

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Rosamunda

Re: Hungry in Helsinki!

Post by Rosamunda » Wed Dec 30, 2015 3:37 pm

Thanks for sharing! Nice stories.

Are you a member of Slow Food Helsinki?
http://slowfoodhelsinki.com/en/
https://www.facebook.com/slowfoodhelsinki/

Look us up and join! Most of our meet ups and events are in English (many international members) and we also do events with other Slow Food groups eg in Western Uusimaa. We visit foodie places in and around Helsinki. We also promote the local REKO - there are now several in the Helsinki area.

I'm in Olari - I have bee hives in my back garden and produce honey which I sell locally (sold out for 2015, mostly through REKO) but you are welcome to come and take some pictures next spring!

Galith

Post by Galith » Wed Dec 30, 2015 5:14 pm

Yes Rosamunda i have liked the page, but not yet participated to activities. I'll definitely chedk it out!
And wow your own bee hive, i'd love to learn more about it! Check out the FB page https://www.facebook.com/Hungryinhelsinki for the blg so we can stay in touch and discuss a spring visit? It would be wonderful!!

Rosamunda

Post by Rosamunda » Wed Dec 30, 2015 5:28 pm

Galith wrote: And wow your own bee hive, i'd love to learn more about it!!

Galith

Post by Galith » Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:09 pm

Rosamunda wrote:
Galith wrote: And wow your own bee hive, i'd love to learn more about it!!
:) - where are you located? do you organize visits? do you have a website/ pictures? sorry so many questions :)

Galith

Post by Galith » Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:10 pm

Anyone else in this group interested in sharing their food stories?
Do you know any english written blogs from people in Finland ?

Rosamunda

Post by Rosamunda » Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:35 pm

Slow Food Helsinki has links to some blogs on their website. There are quite a few. When I get back to the mainland I'll check and post them here. Not enough sunlight to recharge my battery

Querfeldein

Post by Querfeldein » Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:17 am

My Helsinki food story of 2015, partly thanks to this forum, has been the discovery of Elävä Maa: http://www.elavamaa.fi/

You have to join and volunteer (for about 2 hours once every 8 weeks), but in return you can buy fresh fruit and vegetables every week, as well as dried foods, tofu, and all sorts of pantry fillers. The products are seasonal and local where possible, all organic, at much higher quality than I've seen in the supermarkets, and often at surprisingly cheap prices. You also get to learn Finnish, everything from kesäkurpitsa to raakakaakao, and meet other friendly foodies :)

Galith

Post by Galith » Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:25 pm

Querfeldein wrote:My Helsinki food story of 2015, partly thanks to this forum, has been the discovery of Elävä Maa: http://www.elavamaa.fi/

You have to join and volunteer (for about 2 hours once every 8 weeks), but in return you can buy fresh fruit and vegetables every week, as well as dried foods, tofu, and all sorts of pantry fillers. The products are seasonal and local where possible, all organic, at much higher quality than I've seen in the supermarkets, and often at surprisingly cheap prices. You also get to learn Finnish, everything from kesäkurpitsa to raakakaakao, and meet other friendly foodies :)
Wow, I love that tip! thanks for sharing :) I'll definitely check it out :) How long have you been part of it? IS there a way to test it out first?

Querfeldein

Post by Querfeldein » Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:45 pm

I've been a member for about 3 months, and just did my second shift as a volunteer last Wednesday. You can definitely try it out first - we sent an email, asked if we could come along on a Wednesday to see what it was like, and then decided to sign up pretty much straight away once we'd seen it.

I don't think you can buy anything through the web interface (which is how orders by members are handled) before you are a member, but if you don't arrive too late, you'll be able to take a look at all the products we have, and you will be able to buy some of the non-perishable items for cash right away, if you like. I guess the best time of day would be during the evening shift, when there is the most "buzz" - people will be a little busier, but you get the best picture of what's going on.

I should say that, while there is a requirement to volunteer and it can sometimes get a bit hectic, it is all very friendly, and feels very much like "free time" rather than work.

onkko

Post by onkko » Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:17 pm

Galith wrote:Hi, hopefully it's ok to share, but this has been a great community for me to read about other foreigners in Finland and their food quest and conquests, i thought it would be a cool concept to write about and for a few months I have been working on compiling my recipes in an english food blog :) I hope you find interrsting stuff there, but more importantly i'd like to hear if you woukd be interrested in sharing your food stories with me and having articles made about your experience? This is a joint project with a photographer, so you'd also have pictures taken :)

Check out the concept here: http://www.hungryinhelsinki.com

You don't have to be in Helsinki to be part of it :)

So you choose to come helsinki and be hungry.... Idiot.
Caesare weold Graecum, ond Caelic Finnum

CTninja

Post by CTninja » Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:19 am

Burger mafia in Helsinki?

Galith

Post by Galith » Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:06 pm

CTninja wrote:Burger mafia in Helsinki?
Never heard of them - Where is this? is there a website?

Peach

Post by Peach » Sat Apr 09, 2016 1:21 am

Thank you! :D that's an awesome option, i will do it, next time i'm in Helsinki.

Querfeldein wrote:My Helsinki food story of 2015, partly thanks to this forum, has been the discovery of Elävä Maa: http://www.elavamaa.fi/