Do you have to serve Finnish Army as a naturalized citizen?

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
Sami-Is-Boss

Re: Do you have to serve Finnish Army as a naturalized citiz

Post by Sami-Is-Boss » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:26 pm

I tell you what, if I was coming to Finland and looking to improve my Finnish in short order, the army is the first place I'd go. I assume foreigners aren't allow to serve?

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

onkko

Post by onkko » Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:21 am

Sami-Is-Boss wrote:I tell you what, if I was coming to Finland and looking to improve my Finnish in short order, the army is the first place I'd go. I assume foreigners aren't allow to serve?
Your assumption is right. No foreigner can serve in finnish army or work for finnish army (yeah, right, in peacetime that maybe is but if !"#¤% hits a fan every russian would be nice). Civilian part of voluntary defense training should )if i understood it correcly) be open all over 15 but dunno how they think about non finnish. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_D ... of_Finland
Anything what makes you to go out of your comfort zone and be with finns 24/7 would do so look partio http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scouting
Caesare weold Graecum, ond Caelic Finnum

eirinn

Post by eirinn » Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:43 pm

Hi all! I've just stumbled on this thread. I'll be moving to Finland next month with my wife (I'm italian, she's finnish), and by reading this thread title now I'm a bit curious...
I'll have the possibility to gain the finnish citizenship (once I've managed the language...), will I have to serve the army even if I'm 38? No problems about that, but what wuold happen to my job?

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:51 pm

You're too old, but say if you were 28 or 18... as it is an obligation, your boss has to keep your job for you. That is why they ask that in job applications - young men can disappear for 6-12 months...
"By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes."

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:12 pm

Pursuivant wrote:You're too old, but say if you were 28 or 18... as it is an obligation, your boss has to keep your job for you. That is why they ask that in job applications - young men can disappear for 6-12 months...
As a side note asking that routinely is illegal. See for example:

http://www.tietosuoja.fi/uploads/2rg3ed0lzorr1.pdf

"TSV 18.9.2006 -> mm. asevelvollisuutta tai terveydentilaa koskevien tietojen kysyminen rutiininomaisesti lomakkeilla kaikilta työnhakijoilta ei täytä lain 3 § ja 5 §:n vaatimuksia."

SOF

Post by SOF » Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:28 pm

Seeing this thread a little aged, gonna resurrect it with a bit of the same question. Same thing here, about to move to Finland to live with my girl. But I'm on the other side boys, i wanna ask if I am able to get citizenship before 30 (I'm 25 now) will i be eligible for military service ? And even furthermore, will i be eligible to stay in the army after the mandatory 6 or 12 months of service, I mean professional service. I served two years in the Bulgarian army, just left a month ago, but the army never really left me. Please somebody with more knowledge on the issue, enlighten me.

Upphew

Post by Upphew » Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:07 pm

SOF wrote:Seeing this thread a little aged, gonna resurrect it with a bit of the same question. Same thing here, about to move to Finland to live with my girl. But I'm on the other side boys, i wanna ask if I am able to get citizenship before 30 (I'm 25 now) will i be eligible for military service ? And even furthermore, will i be eligible to stay in the army after the mandatory 6 or 12 months of service, I mean professional service. I served two years in the Bulgarian army, just left a month ago, but the army never really left me. Please somebody with more knowledge on the issue, enlighten me.
Sure there are jobs in army, but you better get your language skills honed before you start to think that career. Check mil.fi
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.

SOF

Post by SOF » Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:55 pm

Upphew wrote:
SOF wrote:Seeing this thread a little aged, gonna resurrect it with a bit of the same question. Same thing here, about to move to Finland to live with my girl. But I'm on the other side boys, i wanna ask if I am able to get citizenship before 30 (I'm 25 now) will i be eligible for military service ? And even furthermore, will i be eligible to stay in the army after the mandatory 6 or 12 months of service, I mean professional service. I served two years in the Bulgarian army, just left a month ago, but the army never really left me. Please somebody with more knowledge on the issue, enlighten me.
Sure there are jobs in army, but you better get your language skills honed before you start to think that career. Check mil.fi
Yeah, definetly will, I'm gonna have plenty of time to learn finnish while I'm waiting for citizenship. Just hope to get drafted in the army after that, and get a chance to stay there. I served as infantry and paratrooper in Bulgaria, hope that gives me a little boost too.

Oho

Post by Oho » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:36 am

Upphew wrote: Sure there are jobs in army, but you better get your language skills honed before you start to think that career. Check mil.fi
Well he already is near the upper age limit for launching an actual military career in Finland. If he pulls it off by the time he is naturalized the odds are good that boat has sailed. Certainly if he fancies an commissioned or cadet officer career path.

SOF

Post by SOF » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:49 am

Oho wrote:
Upphew wrote: Sure there are jobs in army, but you better get your language skills honed before you start to think that career. Check mil.fi
Well he already is near the upper age limit for launching an actual military career in Finland. If he pulls it off by the time he is naturalized the odds are good that boat has sailed. Certainly if he fancies an commissioned or cadet officer career path.
Meaning that the only way I can stay in the army at that age 28-30, is taking an NCO or reserve officer course ? It will be quite a sh*t load for me if i get cut off because of age... What about the police, how are things there, any chance of a naturalized foreigner gettin in some of the hit squads ( Bear Squad for example ). Or military police ? Any and all info would be useful guys, I'm open to all opinions and advice.

Beep_Boop

Post by Beep_Boop » Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:21 am

SOF wrote:(I'm 25 now) will i be eligible for military service ? And even furthermore, will i be eligible to stay in the army after the mandatory 6 or 12 months of service, I mean professional service. I served two years in the Bulgarian army.
I must agree with Oho.
You'll be 29-30 by the time you get your citizenship. That's definitely too old to start a military career in a new country. Unless you're exceptionally talented in some practical field, I doubt you'll be able to have such career in Finland in your situation.
Every case is unique. You can't measure the result of your application based on arbitrary anecdotes online.

SOF

Post by SOF » Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:26 am

Beep_Boop wrote:
SOF wrote:(I'm 25 now) will i be eligible for military service ? And even furthermore, will i be eligible to stay in the army after the mandatory 6 or 12 months of service, I mean professional service. I served two years in the Bulgarian army.
I must agree with Oho.
You'll be 29-30 by the time you get your citizenship. That's definitely too old to start a military career in a new country. Unless you're exceptionally talented in some practical field, I doubt you'll be able to have such career in Finland in your situation.
I guess you have a point there, but I will try everything none the less.

Rosamunda

Post by Rosamunda » Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:31 am

Isn't it so that if a someone with dual citizenship has already completed military service in their own country (EU?) they are exempt in Finland. It's like double taxation - they don't expect you to give twice.

Beep_Boop

Post by Beep_Boop » Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:06 pm

Rosamunda wrote:Isn't it so that if a someone with dual citizenship has already completed military service in their own country (EU?) they are exempt in Finland. It's like double taxation - they don't expect you to give twice.
This seems to be tricky. http://www.usp.fi/ajanko/index2.php?sivu=320
The rule is that if you have dual citizenships and your permanent living address is not in Finland, then you are exempt. The thing with serving somewhere else is a case-by-case kind of thing; I cannot find a concrete official source that says you are exempt. Only a few official sources say that you may apply for exemption.
That being said, a friend of mine from Switzerland had already served a while ago in his country. Last year, he got his Finnish citizenship and was called up for service in Finland a bit after that. He applied for exemption, but it was rejected on the grounds of him having "close ties Finland and Finland being your permanent home".
Every case is unique. You can't measure the result of your application based on arbitrary anecdotes online.

SOF

Post by SOF » Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:32 pm

Beep_Boop wrote:
Rosamunda wrote:Isn't it so that if a someone with dual citizenship has already completed military service in their own country (EU?) they are exempt in Finland. It's like double taxation - they don't expect you to give twice.
This seems to be tricky. http://www.usp.fi/ajanko/index2.php?sivu=320
The rule is that if you have dual citizenships and your permanent living address is not in Finland, then you are exempt. The thing with serving somewhere else is a case-by-case kind of thing; I cannot find a concrete official source that says you are exempt. Only a few official sources say that you may apply for exemption.
That being said, a friend of mine from Switzerland had already served a while ago in his country. Last year, he got his Finnish citizenship and was called up for service in Finland a bit after that. He applied for exemption, but it was rejected on the grounds of him having "close ties Finland and Finland being your permanent home".
I don't want to be exempted from service at all guys... even if i can't stay in the army, least can go in the barracks again for a few months. Army is my home, wherever it is.