ordering from amazon.co.uk

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
dzammes

Post by dzammes » Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:56 pm

I've never ordered anything from amazon since I've been in Finland. Anyone know how much it is for taxes and all that?

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Rosamunda

Re: ordering from amazon.co.uk

Post by Rosamunda » Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:45 pm

Amazon will charge Finnish VAT and P&P and then convert using their exchange rate unless you specify you want to order in €.
I suggest you make your order to see the fully loaded price and then abort before it asks you for your credit card.
There are lots of threads on this already.

harryc

Post by harryc » Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:09 pm

I believe one has to have CC info registered for AZ before one can see 'loaded price.' I just placed an order and that was the sequence.

However, one can still cancel before actually ordering.

Might I add some info? When AZ ships, the delivery costs can be VERY high. But when one buys from the 'trade merchants' - the delivery charges can be MUCH lower.

And btw - the payment via your own CC co. in Euros is cheaper than than using AZ's conversion - but one caution - S-Card Visa can possibly charge you a 2% conversion surcharge. I found out on a recent trip to US that S took such a commission while Hypo Master did not - and it is possible OP-Visa is also without the commission. It pays to check on these things if 2% is relevant for you.
Last edited by harryc on Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

riku2

Post by riku2 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:18 am

I would also check amazon.de, their delivery charges are different to amazon.uk.
I tend to use ali express for small items like usb cables, LED lights. They are normally post free and the cheapest prices i've seen so far. In Prisma I saw 5m LED RGB rolls for about 60e, at ali express they are about 8e.

harryc

Post by harryc » Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:32 am

That kind of stuff seems to be OK from Ali - but be careful with anything more sophisticated. Know someone who bought a car radio and it turned out to be a disaster as the unit didn't work - customer service turned out to be a joke. 300 euro went down the drain -some claim MIGHT have been doable via cc company but was impractical I heard. There's much better assurance for satisfaction via eBay.

Upphew

Post by Upphew » Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:05 pm

riku2 wrote:I would also check amazon.de, their delivery charges are different to amazon.uk.
I tend to use ali express for small items like usb cables, LED lights. They are normally post free and the cheapest prices i've seen so far. In Prisma I saw 5m LED RGB rolls for about 60e, at ali express they are about 8e.
I've been burned so many times with cheap leds that I just won't touch the cheap ones from ebay, dx etc.
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.

morie

Post by morie » Thu May 04, 2017 10:52 am

dzammes wrote:I've never ordered anything from amazon since I've been in Finland. Anyone know how much it is for taxes and all that?
one of my friend ordered 3 kindles from Amazon US to Finland. The shipping was something like $20, UPS had it at his door in 2-3 days. No complaints from him

harryc

Post by harryc » Thu May 04, 2017 8:14 pm

The numerous Kindle devices I looked at on AZ-US all said export to Finland was prohibited. Was there a particular brand?