SHORT AND LONG TERM BENEFIT OF HAVING A BABY IN FINLAND

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
Sidajaem

Post by Sidajaem » Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:37 pm

Hi house,

I kindly want to know what benefits are there having a baby in Finland. My wife is soon to have a baby i want to know if there are any benefit so i could pursue it.

Cheers house

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

betelgeuse

Re: SHORT AND LONG TERM BENEFIT OF HAVING A BABY IN FINLAND

Post by betelgeuse » Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:27 am

Sidajaem wrote:Hi house,

I kindly want to know what benefits are there having a baby in Finland. My wife is soon to have a baby i want to know if there are any benefit so i could pursue it.

Cheers house
In comparison to? At least Finland has one of the lowest infant mortality rates:

http://data.worldbank.org/indicator/SP. ... t&sort=asc

Sidajaem

Post by Sidajaem » Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:48 am

@Betelgeuse,

Thanks. I mean as compare to US. Documents and recognision etc. Like I heard that Finland I one the best places to give birth.

Beep_Boop

Post by Beep_Boop » Sun Feb 28, 2016 1:15 pm

From your recent posts, it seems you're trying to use the pregnancy to secure a permanent stay in Finland. It's not gonna work. You don't gwt any benefit in that aspect from having your kid delivered in Finland.
Every case is unique. You can't measure the result of your application based on arbitrary anecdotes online.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:25 pm

In the future please don't use multiple threads for the same topic.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=91355&start=15#p558231

Sidajaem

Post by Sidajaem » Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:30 pm

@beep_boop. Oh!!! Thanks a lot for that info. Will have the baby there anyways.

@betelgeuse, sorry bout that. Thanks same.

wolf80

Post by wolf80 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:54 pm

So summarized:

- It seems you and your family are in Finland on a tourist visa.
- All costs for the birth have to be covered by you or your own health insurance. Finland is not paying anything.
- You will not get any child benefits from Finland.
- Your child will not get the Finnish citizenship just because it is born in the country.
- You will not get a residence permit as you are here on a tourist visa. You have to apply for a residence permit at the Finnish embassy in your home country. Latest you have to leave Finland when your tourist visa expires.

- In case it was your plan (and like as others I also got the impression that it was) to have your child being born in the country and get the Finnish citizenship, and get a residence permit for the rest of the family based on that, you failed.

biscayne

Post by biscayne » Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:22 pm

Jus soli and jus sanguinus are the two legal principles by which a child might inherit citizenship upon birth.

Jus soli means "of the soil" and means that a child is the citizen of the land into which he or she is born.
Jus sanguinus means "of the blood" and means that a child is entitled to citizenship of his parents, in some cases two citizenships if the parents are from different countries.

Very few countries nowadays operate on the Jus soli system - where just being born somewhere gives you the right to stay there and any other benefits arising from that (financial or otherwise). The USA is still operating on that system, hence the term "anchor babies".

Ireland used to have it until about 10 years ago, it was in the constitution that anyone born on the island of Ireland was a citizen. But the constitution was written in the 1920s. Not many people were trying to get to Ireland, most were leaving. As a result of that law, we got a large Nigerian population in the 1990s.......

Then we had a referendum. Now it is Jus sanguinus.......

Sidajaem

Post by Sidajaem » Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:12 am

Thanks guys. Appreciate all of the contributions. She is there, she can't flight out at this point so, she needs to deliver safely and we go back home to allow the years of the visa count for more travels. Cheers folks.

To answer one of the questions, yes. We will like like to leave or reside abroad. Don't you like as well? But if not possible. We try other ways. Cheers again

Sidajaem

Post by Sidajaem » Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:47 pm

Hi,

Does anyone know the cost of child birth in Finland for tourist and which hospital if possible???

JK_Ironak

Post by JK_Ironak » Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:54 pm

I see google/forum searching is really rare skill these days: Link

Sidajaem

Post by Sidajaem » Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:21 pm

@JK_Ironak,

Thanks for the info, sorry bout the weak time to Google atimes your link is helping.

Can you lead her to any nearby public hospital for this pls. Thanks

JK_Ironak

Post by JK_Ironak » Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:04 am

As far as I understand, you will never be denied medical services in case of emergency, but you will have to pay for it.

Why don't you just travel back home, by train or whatever? This is just crazy...you could have researched all of this before coming to Finland...

Sidajaem

Post by Sidajaem » Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:12 am

@JK_Ironak,

I did research. She came in for other things (education) to get out as soon as done but the process took longer than expected hence she couldn't fly back and don't want to over stay the 90days. This is it.

JK_Ironak

Post by JK_Ironak » Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:28 am

If she came here on tourist visa, and is now weeks away from giving birth, it means she was at least 5 months pregnant when she got here... I'm not really sure what was expected, and how she planned to study here if she was close to giving birth....

I just find lack of travel insurance unforgivable... Well, it seems you will have to pay for it, but I find it sad when people avoid taking insurance, and then hope someone else will pay for costs...