Returning to Finland after working holiday

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
chelseab1

Post by chelseab1 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:00 am

Hi there,

I had been living in Finland under a working holiday residence permit that commenced on March 26th 2015. I left Finland on 8th January 2016 to return to New Zealand permanently and have not been back to Finland since.

The expiry date on my residence permit is 25th March 2016.
I've been asked to be a bridesmaid in Finland for a friend in the middle of May. I recall reading somewhere that I'm not able to return to Finland for a set period after the expiration date of my permit. Is this correct, and will it hinder a return to Finland for a holiday? Or is it the 90 day in 180 day period rule that I would be adhering to? I would only be going back for a maximum of 14 days, and return airfares will be booked.

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide :)

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

betelgeuse

Re: Returning to Finland after working holiday

Post by betelgeuse » Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:28 am

chelseab1 wrote: I had been living in Finland under a working holiday residence permit that commenced on March 26th 2015. I left Finland on 8th January 2016 to return to New Zealand permanently and have not been back to Finland since.

I've been asked to be a bridesmaid in Finland for a friend in the middle of May. I recall reading somewhere that I'm not able to return to Finland for a set period after the expiration date of my permit. Is this correct, and will it hinder a return to Finland for a holiday? Or is it the 90 day in 180 day period rule that I would be adhering to? I would only be going back for a maximum of 14 days, and return airfares will be booked.
You will be able to use the 90 days.

http://www.migri.fi/services/faq/residence_permits

A15: "If you are a foreign national free of visa you may stay in Finland and Schengen area for a maximum period of 90 days. Other foreign nationals must leave Finland when the residence permit expires. Residence permits cannot be granted for holiday travel. Your local police will be able to give further information."

chelseab1

Re: Returning to Finland after working holiday

Post by chelseab1 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:10 am

betelgeuse wrote:
chelseab1 wrote: I had been living in Finland under a working holiday residence permit that commenced on March 26th 2015. I left Finland on 8th January 2016 to return to New Zealand permanently and have not been back to Finland since.

You will be able to use the 90 days.

http://www.migri.fi/services/faq/residence_permits

A15: "If you are a foreign national free of visa you may stay in Finland and Schengen area for a maximum period of 90 days. Other foreign nationals must leave Finland when the residence permit expires. Residence permits cannot be granted for holiday travel. Your local police will be able to give further information."
Thank you for taking the time to get back to me! I figured that was the case but wanted to check with someone who knew better, and I've had quite a bit of trouble trying to call through to immigration.
The bride will be happy!