moving first day questions

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
try

Post by try » Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:08 pm

Hi, I am probably moving to Turku very soon and I have some questions:

1. can I sign an electricity contract with for example fortum.fi without the login bank-codes stuff?
I have a finnish social security number but not the login things that I saw turkuenergia required.
(I haven't written a contract yet so I can't continue on their Sign a contract thing since I dont have an address to put in)

2. can I sign an internet contract with for example elisa.fi without the login bank-codes stuff?

3. if I move to an empty apartment and I don't have any furniture, what could I do the first day to get furniture? I have no car so is there some cheap furniture place with home delivery or something?

thank you in advance

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

betelgeuse

Re: moving first day questions

Post by betelgeuse » Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:02 pm

try wrote: 1. can I sign an electricity contract with for example fortum.fi without the login bank-codes stuff?
I have a finnish social security number but not the login things that I saw turkuenergia required.
(I haven't written a contract yet so I can't continue on their Sign a contract thing since I dont have an address to put in)
You need an address for an electricity contract so the question is moot. I have signed providers without strong online identification. It varies per seller.
try wrote: 2. can I sign an internet contract with for example elisa.fi without the login bank-codes stuff?
Try. Probably not.
try wrote: 3. if I move to an empty apartment and I don't have any furniture, what could I do the first day to get furniture? I have no car so is there some cheap furniture place with home delivery or something?
Ikea home delivers or you can rent a van and go anywhere.

Rip

Post by Rip » Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:17 pm

try wrote:Hi, I am probably moving to Turku very soon and I have some questions:

1. can I sign an electricity contract with for example fortum.fi without the login bank-codes stuff?
http://www.fortum.com/countries/fi/asia ... fault.aspx
Contact phone numbers. Customer service if calling from abroad:
+358 10 45 66080
You can't sign a contract without an address, but you can find out how to proceed when you have one (but not banking codes).
2. can I sign an internet contract with for example elisa.fi without the login bank-codes stuff?
I' go to one of their physical stores, with a passport.
3. if I move to an empty apartment and I don't have any furniture, what could I do the first day to get furniture? I have no car so is there some cheap furniture place with home delivery or something?
If you want to do it cheap then it is probably question if may be question if you can get mattress somewhere to sleep the first night. I expect both local recycling centers (old stuff) and IKEA (new) can offer home delivery, but probably not on the same day. If you have driving lisence IKEA rents vans; even recycling center perhaps a trailer.

try

Post by try » Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:24 pm

Thank you for your replies, how long could it take before electricity and internet could work if I need to go there physically and sign it? Like can I do it the same day I arrive?

Upphew

Post by Upphew » Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:38 am

try wrote:Thank you for your replies, how long could it take before electricity and internet could work if I need to go there physically and sign it? Like can I do it the same day I arrive?
Electricity is most likely already working, unless it has been cut off because of previous tenant. If get prepaid sim when you step into Finland, you'll have working internet then and there. I wouldn't bother getting adsl/vdsl/fiber/cable before I knew I'd be living in the same address for a year. Newer apartments might have basic internet included in rent.
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.

try

Post by try » Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:28 pm

Upphew wrote: Electricity is most likely already working, unless it has been cut off because of previous tenant. If get prepaid sim when you step into Finland, you'll have working internet then and there. I wouldn't bother getting adsl/vdsl/fiber/cable before I knew I'd be living in the same address for a year. Newer apartments might have basic internet included in rent.
The apartment I'm writing a contract for is without electricity and internet, and I plan on staying for more than a year, so looking at Fortum it seems like they don'tt require you to log in with bank ids, so I could probably sign that before I go there, but for internet, it seems like I need to visit a store once there, I need internet for a desktop computer so I will need a router :x

Jukka Aho

Post by Jukka Aho » Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:48 pm

try wrote:1. can I sign an electricity contract with for example fortum.fi without the login bank-codes stuff? [...]
Can’t help you with that, but the official name for that authentication system is TUPAS. (Just so that you know.)
try wrote:3. if I move to an empty apartment and I don't have any furniture, what could I do the first day to get furniture? I have no car so is there some cheap furniture place with home delivery or something?
Try this search:

http://www.google.fi/search?q=turku+huo ... inkuljetus

huonekalut = furniture
kotiinkuljetus = home delivery
znark

try

Post by try » Sat Feb 27, 2016 6:31 pm

Jukka Aho wrote:
try wrote:1. can I sign an electricity contract with for example fortum.fi without the login bank-codes stuff? [...]
Can’t help you with that, but the official name for that authentication system is TUPAS. (Just so that you know.)
try wrote:3. if I move to an empty apartment and I don't have any furniture, what could I do the first day to get furniture? I have no car so is there some cheap furniture place with home delivery or something?
Try this search:

http://www.google.fi/search?q=turku+huo ... inkuljetus

huonekalut = furniture
kotiinkuljetus = home delivery
thank you, using google translate this seems to be good:
http://turunekotori.fi/

second hand and I can pay to get it home?(can someone check if thats correct: http://turunekotori.fi/tilaa-kuljetus-044-700-7400/ )

Piet

Post by Piet » Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:20 pm

try wrote: I need internet for a desktop computer so I will need a router :x
no you don't,

A 3G (or 4G) usb stick (modem) with sim card is all you need, available in prepaid too... plug it into your desktop, install the dialling software automatically and you are good to go..(on windows) for linux... well make sure you are techsavvy enough to get the right drivers for the usb modem.

Or if you have already a phone with internet, use your phone as access point to the internet....(with the usb cable or wifi tethering)

so there is really no need for any fixed internet any more (of course fiber is nice fast and more reliable than the F%¤%"g 4G " 8) )

good luck
If god would give us the source code, we could change the world

try

Post by try » Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:38 am

Piet wrote:
try wrote: I need internet for a desktop computer so I will need a router :x
no you don't,

A 3G (or 4G) usb stick (modem) with sim card is all you need, available in prepaid too... plug it into your desktop, install the dialling software automatically and you are good to go..(on windows) for linux... well make sure you are techsavvy enough to get the right drivers for the usb modem.

Or if you have already a phone with internet, use your phone as access point to the internet....(with the usb cable or wifi tethering)

so there is really no need for any fixed internet any more (of course fiber is nice fast and more reliable than the F%¤%"g 4G " 8) )

good luck
I was able to sign with elisa today via the internet but it takes some days before the internet works(monday) :D