prevent cancellation of Permanent resident permit

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
miminii

Post by miminii » Sat Mar 19, 2016 2:29 am

Hello,

I have a question regarding "preventing cancellation of my Permanent resident permit". I have a Finnish permanent resident permit for few years and now I decided to continue my education to PhD level. I will be leaving Finland for 4 years (during PhD) but I would like to keep my resident permit in Finland because my parents are living in Finland and I would like to go back after I am done with my studies.

I know that I could write an informal letter to migration office before 2 years of absence but is it possible to be away from Finland for temporary Purpose and doing phd?

Thank you for your answers and suggestions,
Mimmi

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

betelgeuse

Re: prevent cancellation of Permanent resident permit

Post by betelgeuse » Sat Mar 19, 2016 12:05 pm

miminii wrote: I know that I could write an informal letter to migration office before 2 years of absence but is it possible to be away from Finland for temporary Purpose and doing phd?
Yes.

http://www.finlex.fi/fi/laki/kaannokset ... 040301.pdf

Section 58: "A fixed-term or permanent residence permit is cancelled if the alien has moved out of the country permanently or has continuously resided outside Finland for two years for permanent purposes."

I don't think studying for PhD counts are a permanent purpose. I would consult Migri just in case though.

miminii

Post by miminii » Sat Mar 19, 2016 12:39 pm

Thank you, my concern is only staying outside of Finland for 4 years.

Beep_Boop

Post by Beep_Boop » Sat Mar 19, 2016 1:01 pm

betelgeuse wrote:I don't think studying for PhD counts are a permanent purpose. I would consult Migri just in case though.
I'd be very interested to know what Migri think about that.
When come to Finland to study a 4-year degree, the population register counts you as a "permanent resident" (nothing to do with immigration/lice/Migri status). In fact, as long as you can show any evidence that your stay in Finland is longer than two years, the population register counts you as a permanent resident.
Now I wonder if they use the same rule for those going from Finland to reside somewhere else.
Every case is unique. You can't measure the result of your application based on arbitrary anecdotes online.

Rip

Post by Rip » Sun Mar 20, 2016 2:55 pm

A fixed-term or permanent residence permit is revoked if the person who has been granted the permit

- has moved away from Finland on a permanent basis, or

- has resided outside Finland for two years without interruption with the intention of staying there permanently.

If there is an acceptable reason for the absence, the Finnish Immigration Service may decide not to revoke the permit. An application to halt the revocation of the permit must be submitted before the period of absence reaches two years.
http://www.migri.fi/services/faq/reside ... rmit_types
It seems contacting migri is a must to you.