Looking for Viili Culture

Find information on places to go, things to see, eating out, Finnish food, recipes and more
Dora_Ray

Post by Dora_Ray » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:08 am

Hello Everyone,

I just came across this forum, frantically looking for a Finish Viili Culture (the one that is very "stringy" "gloopy" and utterly delicious.

I wonder, if anyone would be able to mail me a small amount of the Viili. I am in England. Goes without saying that I will cover all the costs related (paypal perhaps?)

I will be happy to reciprocate with a small gift from England (name your poison :).

Thank you for reading this. Hope this is not to obtuse to introduce myself with a request.

PS. I am a holistic health practitioner trained in Chinese Medicine, Orthomolecular medicine and nutrition and would be happy to offer any advice related to health to reciprocate the favour.

"Do not fear death but rather un-lived life. You don't have to live forever. You just have to live"
Tuck Everlasting

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Cynde

Re: Looking for Viili Culture

Post by Cynde » Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:19 pm

Did anyone send you any? If not, I'll do it.
Cynde
Knitting takes balls...

lisalevi

Post by lisalevi » Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:50 am

Hi Cynde,

I am also looking for "long", would you have any to share? I can cover all shipping cost
Thanks in advance.

Lisa

Cynde

Post by Cynde » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:31 pm

Hi Lisa, I have no idea what 'long' is. Sorry!
Knitting takes balls...

javi_sp

Post by javi_sp » Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:33 am

Hi there! Just like the OP, I came across this thread looking for a pure viili culture, due to the fact that it's been nearly impossible for me to find authentic ropey viili from Finland.
I've only found dry cultures that haven't worked all right.
So, my question is: would someone kinldy send me some fresh sample in order to start my culture? Of course I'll cover the shipping cost and the hassle :wink: I'm from Spain by the way.
Thank you all!

Cynde

Post by Cynde » Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:36 am

Sure that would work, I'm sure.Someone can just buy it from the shop and repackage it. But I can warn you that when I have brought fresh to the US it still didn't work. It must have had to do with the local milk.
Cynde
Knitting takes balls...

javi_sp

Post by javi_sp » Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:38 pm

What a pity, that's not very encouraging! I'm using whole pasteurized milk and it does curdle, but nothing to do with the typical consistence that makes viili yogurt unique, it turns out more like a regular yoghurt.
I'm wondering if this current consistence is part of the regeneration process of the dry microorganisms, maybe sooner or later the viili yogurt will become as it should be..?
Anyway, if someone could send me a good strain from and original fresh culture, I would be very grateful!

wolf80

Post by wolf80 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:03 pm

You could also buy a live Viili starter culture in an online-shop, such as here: http://happykombucha.co.uk/collections/ ... tarter-kit

Cynde

Post by Cynde » Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:59 am

Very possible that it just takes it some time to get used to your environment. There are a lot of Finns in Spain. I wonder what experience they have. I can ask around but I can probably send you some.
Knitting takes balls...

inkku

Post by inkku » Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:41 am

You could try to translate this blog writing, there are quite many good practical advice.

http://kysymammalta.blogspot.ug/2011/03 ... otona.html

and
http://www.maku.fi/kysymykset/itsetehty-viili

Cynde

Post by Cynde » Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:32 pm

Great link! The first viili one says:
Viili I
1 l maitoa 1l milk
½ dl hapanta kermaa ½dl sour cream
Lämmitä maito 37° C:een. Jaa hapan kerma tasaisesti 5-6 kuppiin. Kaada päälle maito ja vie lämpimään ja vedottomaan paikkaan hapattumaan, noin vuorokauden kuluttua viili on valmista. Voit jäähdyttää viilin kellarissa tai jääkaapissa ennen tarjoilua
Warm the milk up to 37 degrees and divide the sour cream into 5-6 blobs in separate bowls. Pour on the warmed milk and leave it undisturbed in a warm dark place until ready (12-24 hrs. usually)
Knitting takes balls...

Greet

Post by Greet » Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:35 pm

Hello Cynde,

I'm looking for an original birthdaygift for my husband. He is extremely fond of the Viili culture of Finland.
Is there a possibility you could send me some? Of course I'll pay for your costs and more.

It would be nice hearing from you...

Greet
Belgium