Stay in Finland before Residence Permit?

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
MinhChau010416

Post by MinhChau010416 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:34 pm

Hi friends,
I am married a Finnish man. I am in Finland now by tourist visa 30 days, the last day of visa is 20 Apr. I am going to apply for Resident Permit in Finland, but the Immigration only have schedule in 07 Jun :!: :!: :!: .
Can I stay in Finland until Jun ?
what procedure need I do ?

Missä minun rahani? Mieheni kokki, mieheni pestä, mieheni suudelma :D :twisted: :beamer: :wink: :thumbsup:

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

betelgeuse

Re: Stay in Finland before Residence Permit?

Post by betelgeuse » Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:02 am

MinhChau010416 wrote: I am married a Finnish man. I am in Finland now by tourist visa 30 days, the last day of visa is 20 Apr. I am going to apply for Resident Permit in Finland, but the Immigration only have schedule in 07 Jun :!: :!: :!: .
Police stations must accept applications by queue numbers so just go on site and go through the wait (potentially long).

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:03 am

You need to apply before your visa runs out.
"By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes."

MinhChau010416

Post by MinhChau010416 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:58 am

Pursuivant wrote:You need to apply before your visa runs out.
How can I apply before when they only have schedule on Jun ?
Missä minun rahani? Mieheni kokki, mieheni pestä, mieheni suudelma :D :twisted: :beamer: :wink: :thumbsup:

MinhChau010416

Post by MinhChau010416 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:00 am

betelgeuse wrote:
MinhChau010416 wrote: I am married a Finnish man. I am in Finland now by tourist visa 30 days, the last day of visa is 20 Apr. I am going to apply for Resident Permit in Finland, but the Immigration only have schedule in 07 Jun :!: :!: :!: .
Police stations must accept applications by queue numbers so just go on site and go through the wait (potentially long).
Joo. But my visa is run out before the queue number. what should I do ?

rinso

Post by rinso » Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:44 am

MinhChau010416 wrote:
betelgeuse wrote:
Do as betelgeuse said; que. (= wait in line)

Upphew

Post by Upphew » Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:42 am

MinhChau010416 wrote:
betelgeuse wrote:
You march to police station before they open the doors. You take your queue number and wait. Take some snacks with you. And all the papers.
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.

Oombongo

Post by Oombongo » Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:05 pm

and if you are unlucky to get a slot of cancelled appointment during that day then you may have to repeat the process the next day. Anyone else feel free to correct me here.

I booked appointment for my zirochka on February for May.
Image Image

MinhChau010416

Post by MinhChau010416 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:11 pm

I think you all don't understand my poor English.
The problem is: The Fin police said my turn is in Jun (after 2 months), but my visa is expired in 20 Aprl (after 6 days).

JK_Ironak

Post by JK_Ironak » Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:17 pm

What people are saying is that you can go to Poliisi without your "turn". But you have to get there at 8 in the morning, take a number from machine and be prepared to wait the whole day, and if it fails the first day, try the next one.

The scheduled appointment in June you are talking about is the other option to get appointment, and then you know exact time and place and you don't have to waste a whole day at Poliisi.

I don't know if you have to have a valid visa when you apply for residence permit, but if you do you go to Poliisi tomorrow already, you don't have much time.

Beep_Boop

Post by Beep_Boop » Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:20 pm

MinhChau010416 wrote:I think you all don't understand my poor English.
No, you don't understand them.

There are two ways to get matters done at the police station:
- Option #1: Booking beforehand. This what you did and your appointment is in June
- Option #2: Going there without appointment, getting a queue number in the station, and sitting there on the chair and waiting.

Option #1 -> Doesn't work for you because your visa expires soon.
Option #2 -> Works for you because you can go tomorrow morning and finish the application on the same day.
Every case is unique. You can't measure the result of your application based on arbitrary anecdotes online.

MinhChau010416

Post by MinhChau010416 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 4:21 pm

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I told the same to my husband, I read this information in the immigration website.
But my husband said it's impossible.

http://www.migri.fi/services/service_points
http://www.migri.fi/services/service_points

Service points

Virka Info

We serve our customers at the Helsinki office and at the Citizen's Service Office (Virka Info) at the City Hall in Helsinki (Pohjoisesplanadi 11–13).

Open
from Monday to Friday 9.00–19.00
Saturday and Sunday 10.00–16.00

Appointments can be made by phone, tel. (09) 310 11 111, but it is not necessary to make an appointment. Virka Info serves customers in over ten languages. Please note that you cannot submit documents to Virka Info that are to be submitted to the Finnish Immigration Office.

At the Citizen’s Service Office you can get advice on:
citizenship issues
residence permits
alien's passports.

Please note that you cannot submit any applications to the Citizen’s Service Office. Applications are submitted to Finnish embassies abroad and to police service points in Finland.

The Finnish Immigration Service

You can deliver supplementary documents to the Finnish Immigration Service in Helsinki (Lautatarhankatu 10) during business hours (from Monday to Friday 8.00–16.15) to receive your documents.
Please, put the documents in an envelope and drop the envelope in the postbox in the entrance hall.
If you need copies of your documents, you are welcome to use our copy machine (copying subject to a fee, 40 cents/page, the machine accepts 5, 10, 20 and 50 cent as well as 1 and 2 euro coins).

You can’t deliver documents to the regional offices of the Finnish Immigration Service in Lappeenranta, Oulu, Kuhmo and Turku.

MinhChau010416

Post by MinhChau010416 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 4:23 pm

Could you pls explain what they mean in the the Bold text?

Beep_Boop

Post by Beep_Boop » Thu Apr 14, 2016 4:47 pm

MinhChau010416 wrote:I told the same to my husband, I read this information in the immigration website.
And you expected your husband, a regular Finnish man, to know anything about immigration issues?
The Finns here know about these things either from occupation-related experience or just by virtue of being here. Most Finns know nothing about these matters. Heck, most Finns I know assumed that I just waltzed into the country and got the residence permit stamp and soon I get the passport. :|

Who the f*ck cares what the bold text says?! (for the record, it's info about Virka, which is NOT what you want)
Do as you're advised:
1- Take your pre-filled application with all your papers to the immigration police point (in Helsinki, it's on Pasilanraitio 11)
2- Take a queue number
3- Sit on the chair and play mobile games
4- Wait until your number appears on the screen
5- Go the desk and submit the application.
6- If the employee says "No, you book appointment", say "It's my right to be served without appointment if I wait in the queue). Done.
Every case is unique. You can't measure the result of your application based on arbitrary anecdotes online.

MinhChau010416

Post by MinhChau010416 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:01 pm

Kiitos paljon!!!

I will go to the poliisi on tomorrow. Should I go there earliest or 8am is ok ?
I wonder if there is queue before open time.

P/S maybe my questions are weird, but the first time in Finland then confused :? :ochesey: