Applying for a working holiday visa

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
em93

Post by em93 » Sat Apr 09, 2016 12:06 pm

I am an Australian who is visiting Finland later this month to visit my boyfriend (I will be studying but not through a Finnish Institution, so I'll basically be a 'tourist' in the eyes of border control). I will be staying the maximum 90 days with the Schengen Visa before I have to leave the country. If possible I would like to stay longer... the only way I've found to do this is if I get a working holiday visa.

But when I emailed the Finnish Embassy in Canberra they told me a) I have to submit my application while I am still in Australia, and b) I would have to fly to Canberra (from the opposite side of the country) to get my fingerprints taken etc. to allow my application to go through?!

I can submit my application as I'm still in Australia at this point... but there's no way I can afford the cost of the visa as well as the cost of flying to Canberra. I emailed them to ask if it's possible to submit my application but then have my fingerprints taken when I am in Finland, but they said no, I have to come to Canberra.

A friend of mine visited Sweden a couple of years ago and told me that for his visa he was able to apply in Australia but then have his prints taken when he was in Sweden. Obviously it's a different case but I can't see why I can't do the same thing.

Basically my question is are the people at the Australian embassy wrong and is there a way to apply in Australia and have my prints taken in Finland. Or who should I contact IN FINLAND who knows what they're talking about and I can get a definitive answer from?

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

wolf80

Re: Applying for a working holiday visa

Post by wolf80 » Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:46 pm

em93 wrote:A friend of mine visited Sweden a couple of years ago and told me that for his visa he was able to apply in Australia but then have his prints taken when he was in Sweden. Obviously it's a different case but I can't see why I can't do the same thing.
Finland and Sweden are different countries. It's the same as to ask why Australia has different rules than New Zealand.

em93 wrote:Basically my question is are the people at the Australian embassy wrong and is there a way to apply in Australia and have my prints taken in Finland. Or who should I contact IN FINLAND who knows what they're talking about and I can get a definitive answer from?
As you need the right visa before you enter the country, and the Finnish embassy in Canberra is the one responsible for you, you have to follow their rules. (It's not Finland's fault that your country is so big and you have to travel from one end to the other to reach the capital.)

Flossy1978

Post by Flossy1978 » Sun Apr 10, 2016 12:04 am

Well, you got your definite answer.

I am in Australia, after having lived in Finland for many years. My child is Finnish. He needs to have his passport renewed. Guess what we have to do? Also go to Canberra. We live in Brisbane. So, we are going to make it a holiday.

This is how it is nowadays. The Honorary Consulates around the country have no legal standing, so cannot accept passports, sign anything, etc.

You need to rethink your plans, if you want to go to Finland for three months or more and don't have the funds to get to Canberra. If you think going to Canberra is expensive, then Finland is out of your league, financially.

Though, having since moved back home to Australia. Hell, stuff is expensive here. But it will be more so in Finland because the Australia Dollar is so weak.

There is no choice. You need to go to Canberra. It is how it is done nowadays, unfortunately.

em93

Post by em93 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:07 am

So I figured. I've already paid the expenses for my trip to Finland, but can't afford Canberra on top of that. Thanks for your replies, it was worth a shot anyway. Anyone know any other ways to stay longer than the 3 months without having to visit Canberra? Otherwise I'll stick to the 3 months like I originally planned.

wolf80

Post by wolf80 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 1:48 pm

em93 wrote:So I figured. I've already paid the expenses for my trip to Finland, but can't afford Canberra on top of that. Thanks for your replies, it was worth a shot anyway. Anyone know any other ways to stay longer than the 3 months without having to visit Canberra? Otherwise I'll stick to the 3 months like I originally planned.
Marry your boyfriend. (If he is a Finnish/European citizen or has a residence permit. Well, you asked.)

Beep_Boop

Post by Beep_Boop » Mon Apr 11, 2016 2:47 pm

em93 wrote:Anyone know any other ways to stay longer than the 3 months without having to visit Canberra?
So many options:
- Apply and get accepted in a Finnish higher education institution.
- Get a job in Finland.
- Marry your boyfriend.
- Marry anybody else legally residing in Finland.
- Have a Finnish citizen impregnate you so you'd be the mother of a Finnish citizen (assuming you're a female).
- Apply for asylum. You'll be rejected, but you can legally stay in Finland while they process your application, which can take a couple of months.
- Commit a crime prosecutable in Finland and serve time in Finland.
Every case is unique. You can't measure the result of your application based on arbitrary anecdotes online.

Flossy1978

Post by Flossy1978 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:49 pm

I believe you need to be out of the country to apply for a resident permit for studying, at least. And for a job, maybe.

em93

Post by em93 » Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:37 am

Would I need to be in Australia to apply for the work or study visa? Or just any country outside Finland? Doubt I can get a job or get accepted into a University there but... I'll try.

Rip

Post by Rip » Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:31 am

em93 wrote:Would I need to be in Australia to apply for the work or study visa?
You'd need to be a resident of that country.

em93

Post by em93 » Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:05 pm

Okay, so basically unless I get married, pregnant or sent to jail I'll be leaving after 3 months. Thanks everyone :)

wolf80

Post by wolf80 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:42 pm

roger_roger wrote:Isn't that working holiday for 12 months or so? you have to change the employer every 3 months, something like that.
She only has a tourist visa as she can't apply for the working holiday visa anymore.

cors187

Post by cors187 » Tue May 10, 2016 10:45 pm

em93 wrote:So I figured. I've already paid the expenses for my trip to Finland, but can't afford Canberra on top of that. Thanks for your replies, it was worth a shot anyway. Anyone know any other ways to stay longer than the 3 months without having to visit Canberra? Otherwise I'll stick to the 3 months like I originally planned.
I would go to Canberra , your going to scramble around at the end of the 3 month visa stay and your going to spend more money , Thats a fact.