Applying both residence permit and short-term visa

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
xiaohan2012

Post by xiaohan2012 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 3:14 pm

My residence permit expires by Aug 1st this year and I will apply for an new one(status A) by the end of June.

However, I will be traveling to other Schengen countries around middle August(right after the expiration date).

I'm afraid I won't have the new residence permit card ready by the time I am traveling because I was told status A residence permit usually takes 3~4 months to process.

My question is: is it possible to apply for a visitor visa for Finland meanwhile applying for the residence permit extension?

Thanks!

PS:
I called the police customer service unfortunately it's not served in English.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

JK_Ironak

Re: Applying both residence permit and short-term visa

Post by JK_Ironak » Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:49 pm

I had to call Poliisi (Pasila) after they changed the phone number/system (I think it was last week). The automated menu is only in Finnish/Swedish, but after I got through it, I talked to the an actual person in English.

So if that's what is bothering you, go through the menu and someone will speak English. I had to select 1 for Finnish, and then 4 for foreign affairs and nicely ask person to speak English.

xiaohan2012

Post by xiaohan2012 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:23 pm

JK_Ironak wrote:I had to call Poliisi (Pasila) after they changed the phone number/system (I think it was last week). The automated menu is only in Finnish/Swedish, but after I got through it, I talked to the an actual person in English.

So if that's what is bothering you, go through the menu and someone will speak English. I had to select 1 for Finnish, and then 4 for foreign affairs and nicely ask person to speak English.
Sounds cool, thanks!

Tarja2905

Post by Tarja2905 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:38 pm

No you can not apply for another visa/permit when you have the other one being processed.

Beep_Boop

Post by Beep_Boop » Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:40 pm

Can you even apply for a visa to Finland from inside Finland? (regardless of whether you have an RP application or not)
Every case is unique. You can't measure the result of your application based on arbitrary anecdotes online.

Rip

Post by Rip » Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:41 am

xiaohan2012 wrote: I called the police customer service unfortunately it's not served in English.

Really rather tricky (and what worked earlier might not work any more)

I'd probably go to Pasila some morning around 7:30 and wait for the doors to open go to line to ask my questions...

xiaohan2012

Post by xiaohan2012 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:02 am

Rip wrote:
xiaohan2012 wrote: I called the police customer service unfortunately it's not served in English.

Really rather tricky (and what worked earlier might not work any more)

I'd probably go to Pasila some morning around 7:30 and wait for the doors to open go to line to ask my questions...
I guess I will do that after failing several times getting connected to a real person at the police station. :(

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:31 am

Beep_Boop wrote:Can you even apply for a visa to Finland from inside Finland? (regardless of whether you have an RP application or not)
You can't. "Viisumihakemukset käsittelee ja päätöksen viisumin myöntämisestä tekee aina Suomen edustusto."

http://formin.finland.fi/Public/default ... 20viisumia?
xiaohan2012 wrote: However, I will be traveling to other Schengen countries around middle August(right after the expiration date).

I'm afraid I won't have the new residence permit card ready by the time I am traveling because I was told status A residence permit usually takes 3~4 months to process.

My question is: is it possible to apply for a visitor visa for Finland meanwhile applying for the residence permit extension?
I would try to apply for a Schengen visa from the embassy of the other Schengen country in Finland.

Marzeilla

Post by Marzeilla » Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:03 pm

Hello,

Actually, you can. At least in Morocco when I was receiving my first residence permit this guy had applied for visa because his extended residence permit was issued in Finland.

Tarja2905

Post by Tarja2905 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:08 am

betelgeuse wrote:
Beep_Boop wrote:Can you even apply for a visa to Finland from inside Finland? (regardless of whether you have an RP application or not)
I would try to apply for a Schengen visa from the embassy of the other Schengen country in Finland.[/quote]

The Finnish immigration data already recorded that you applied and are waiting for rp, you can not apply for another visa/permit when your first application is being processed.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:55 am

Tarja2905 wrote: The Finnish immigration data already recorded that you applied and are waiting for rp, you can not apply for another visa/permit when your first application is being processed.
I am not aware that the Aliens Register would be shared with foreign agencies nor that RP applications would be recorded in the visa information system. Can you provide a source?

Beep_Boop

Post by Beep_Boop » Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:38 pm

Tarja2905 wrote:The Finnish immigration data already recorded that you applied and are waiting for rp, you can not apply for another visa/permit when your first application is being processed.
No true. You can apply for a visa while you're waiting for your RP application to be decided on. The problem here is applying for a visa from inside Finland.
Every case is unique. You can't measure the result of your application based on arbitrary anecdotes online.

Tarja2905

Post by Tarja2905 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:15 pm

betelgeuse wrote:
Tarja2905 wrote: The Finnish immigration data already recorded that you applied and are waiting for rp, you can not apply for another visa/permit when your first application is being processed.
I am not aware that the Aliens Register would be shared with foreign agencies nor that RP applications would be recorded in the visa information system. Can you provide a source?
As I understand from her question, she wants to apply for Finnish tourist visa while she is waiting for decision on Finnish residence permit renewal. That's why I say it is not possible.

Tarja2905

Post by Tarja2905 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:25 pm

Beep_Boop wrote:
Tarja2905 wrote:The Finnish immigration data already recorded that you applied and are waiting for rp, you can not apply for another visa/permit when your first application is being processed.
No true. You can apply for a visa while you're waiting for your RP application to be decided on. The problem here is applying for a visa from inside Finland.
This is according to my cousin's experience last year. She was waiting for Finnish rp. It took so long and she asked the Finland embassy in my home country if it was possible to apply for tourist visa to go to Finland and wait for the decision in Finland, the answer was no. I am not sure if law changes or different laws applied for different countries. My home coutry is Vietnam.

And me neither, I dont think the OP can apply for a Schengen visa while she is staying inside Schengen area. Schengen visa needs to be applied from outside of Schengen area.