which country covers social security?

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
zastler

Post by zastler » Mon May 16, 2016 1:12 pm

Hei,

we are confused in an international social security situation

We used to live and work in Finland but have now moved to Germany (EU citizens, have Finnish henkilötunnus). My husband will start a 75% job in Finland in the autumn. He will be in Finland for about 2-3 months / year and work remotely from home in Germany for the rest. It is clear that me and kids will not be covered by any Finish social security as we live in Germany. Does anyone know what country would be responsible for my husband´s though? Pension, health and umemployment insurance? Kela says we have to apply to Eläketurvakeskus and TELL them which country will cover social security. I have no idea what to tell them...

Regarding tax we have to split it according to the percentage of how long he stays in either country.

Kiitos

Angela

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

interleukin

Re: which country covers social security?

Post by interleukin » Mon May 16, 2016 1:24 pm

I have a similar issue, I work in two countries. Which one gets the bill is not super-straightforward. Generally, you´d assume that the country where you are residing (where you spend >50% of your time) is the country to cover your social security, but it is not automatically so.
You can apply to KELA & assume you get covered through them, and they then send your file to Eläketurvakeskus for consideration. They will then decide if they consider you to be covered by the Finnish system or not.

(I illogically am covered by the country where I work 10%, as it is a government job, but my 100% in the other country is not).

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Mon May 16, 2016 5:01 pm

zastler wrote: We used to live and work in Finland but have now moved to Germany (EU citizens, have Finnish henkilötunnus). My husband will start a 75% job in Finland in the autumn. He will be in Finland for about 2-3 months / year and work remotely from home in Germany for the rest. It is clear that me and kids will not be covered by any Finish social security as we live in Germany. Does anyone know what country would be responsible for my husband´s though? Pension, health and umemployment insurance? Kela says we have to apply to Eläketurvakeskus and TELL them which country will cover social security. I have no idea what to tell them...
http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/wo ... dex_en.htm

See "Working in more than one country". Answer: Germany.
zastler wrote: Regarding tax we have to split it according to the percentage of how long he stays in either country.
More accurately the amount of hours worked in each country.

zastler

Post by zastler » Fri May 20, 2016 6:59 pm

Thanks, this was really helpful!

zastler

Post by zastler » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:57 am

Hi, we are getting a bit further but no less confused.

it is fairly clear which country is responsible for social security if you are employed in more than one country, ie. the over 25% rule. But my husband is not posted to Germany or has any kind of work based in Germany, he just works from home (home office). In this case the relevant German agencies all seem to think that Finland is definitely responsible. Can anyone verify this?? ETK says we have to get the A1 form (formerly E101) to clarify who is responsible, and think it is likely to be Germany. So we are getting two contradictory answers.

I think the nub is that home office is different to employment in a second country or being posted abroad. Anyone done home office from abroad and can enlighten us??

And as my husband is british, we have a whole lot more bureaucracy to look forward to in coming years :(