Health insurance and maternity coverage

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
bf421

Post by bf421 » Wed May 25, 2016 7:58 am

Can anyone suggest a health insurance plan that can cover maternity without a 12 month waiting period?

My wife and I are planning on moving to Finland, and we are concerned about the fact that we can't seem to find any reasonable plans that offer maternity coverage without a waiting period. The only one we found was GeoBlue, and the price they wanted was completely outrageous.

We are thinking about another child, and we would not want to have to wait a year just because of an insurance rule. Additionally, though, even if we did wait, it seems like it wouldn't be a very good idea not to have coverage. After all, the only way to completely avoid pregnancy is abstinence, and let's be frank, that is not realistic.

If, worst case scenario, we have to pay for maternity care entirely out-of-pocket without insurance, what are the costs?

On the topic of insurance, does anyone know how the United States "get fined if you don't have a certain health insurance plan" law works for expats?

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Rip

Re: Health insurance and maternity coverage

Post by Rip » Wed May 25, 2016 1:40 pm

bf421 wrote:The only one we found was GeoBlue, and the price they wanted was completely outrageous.
Define outrageous?
If, worst case scenario, we have to pay for maternity care entirely out-of-pocket without insurance, what are the costs?
Roughly 2000-3000 € if everything goes fine. Potentially tens if not hundreds of thousands of euros (with no definite upper limit) if things do not go fine.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Wed May 25, 2016 1:45 pm

bf421 wrote: My wife and I are planning on moving to Finland, and we are concerned about the fact that we can't seem to find any reasonable plans that offer maternity coverage without a waiting period. The only one we found was GeoBlue, and the price they wanted was completely outrageous.
Are you planning to be here only temporarily and move out in the near future? Otherwise you will most likely get a home municipality (kotikunta) and the public sector will cover you. This applies even to students as longs as the program takes at least two years.

"Saat hoitoa Suomen julkisessa terveydenhuollossa kuntalaisen asiakasmaksulla, jos sinulla on Suomessa kotikunta."

http://www.kela.fi/oikeus-sairaanhoitoon-suomessa

"3) hänellä on voimassa oleva työsopimus tai muu siihen rinnastettava selvitys Suomessa tehtävää vähintään kaksi vuotta kestävää työtä tai opiskelua varten; taikka"

http://www.finlex.fi/fi/laki/ajantasa/1 ... 40201#L2P4

bf421

Post by bf421 » Thu May 26, 2016 12:59 am

Has anyone used the company "Visit International Health Insurance" (visitinsurance.com)? It sounds like they have a plan that might work for me, but their website looks potentially sketchy.

tjawatts

Post by tjawatts » Sun Jun 12, 2016 11:12 pm

Are you going to be permanently residing in Finland? Working here? Then surely you will be covered by the public healthcare system. You dont find the kind of health insurance you are looking for because it doesnt really exist here.

T

ashleaearl

Post by ashleaearl » Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:16 pm

Is that so, no health insurance their, me too moving to Finland with my husband on his business trip. Although I will be staying for only 1-2months, and if by that time I deliver my baby their, then I can face problem right?

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:54 pm

ashleaearl wrote:Is that so, no health insurance their, me too moving to Finland with my husband on his business trip. Although I will be staying for only 1-2months, and if by that time I deliver my baby their, then I can face problem right?
No entity in Finland would cover your care so you would be charged for it.

Rip

Post by Rip » Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:43 pm

ashleaearl wrote:Is that so, no health insurance their, me too moving to Finland with my husband on his business trip. Although I will be staying for only 1-2months, and if by that time I deliver my baby their, then I can face problem right?
As airlines don't even usually accept women that are nearing the expected end of their pregnancies It seems you are worried about the unlikely case the delivery will be unexpectedly very early. Maybe you can find an insurance (from your country) that would cover such a case.

Yes, you'd be charged here and if the baby is premature (requiring extended hospital care) then obviously the total costs would be much higher than the lowest rates mentioned.