Moving for PhD -- shipping a vehicle from Canada et al.

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
Shedlock2000

Post by Shedlock2000 » Sat Jun 04, 2016 7:20 am

Hi Guys,

I am really pleased to find such a helpful forum!! I hope you will be able to help me out with a few questions.

Firstly, I apologise for the last minute questions and the rush -- but I have only just been offered a place at the university of Helsinki, and I have 15 days to research into moving! If I accept the position at the University of Helsinki, I estimate my program will take 3 years when I shall more than likely return to the UK (I am originally from there). I am a British Citizen (so part of the EU), but a permanent resident of Canada (where I have studied my BA and MA).

I have only a few simple questions:

1) I want to import my vehicle from Halifax, Nova Scotia (Canada) to Helsinki. It is a 2006 Land Rover LR3, I am pretty certain that I can handle the taxation issue (though a clear answer as to whether or not I would have to pay tax on my import would also help), but I am mostly after suggestions for shipping companies who can ship the vehicle from Canada to Finland and who can undertake whatever inspections and registrations I will need. It would be a boon if anyone could suggest one which would also help me ship a few personal belongings (computer, clothes, photos, tools, etc).

2) I have a dog, and am looking for suggestions to fly him over with the least distress possible.

3) If I accept the offer, I need to be in Helsinki by the middle of July (not much time at all!), can anyone offer suggestions for inexpensive furnished accommodation listings (I have tried http://www.vuokraovi.com/, and know about the student postings, but I am a bit older (and have a dog) so I was hoping for something which did not require sharing and that had a fireplace or stove.

I understand that some of this information will have been answered in other posts somewhere, but I am a bit tight on time to look through posts which may be relevant. I really only did find out yesterday that I had been offered a place at Helsinki, and I am currently already in the process of packing up to move to elsewhere in Canada (a move I will cancel, if I can find answers to my questions in sufficient time)!

Thanks in advance! 8)

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

inkku

Re: Moving for PhD -- shipping a vehicle from Canada et al.

Post by inkku » Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:49 am

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:42 am

Shedlock2000 wrote: 1) I want to import my vehicle from Halifax, Nova Scotia (Canada) to Helsinki. It is a 2006 Land Rover LR3, I am pretty certain that I can handle the taxation issue (though a clear answer as to whether or not I would have to pay tax on my import would also help), but I am mostly after suggestions for shipping companies who can ship the vehicle from Canada to Finland and who can undertake whatever inspections and registrations I will need.
Think if it's cheaper to sell it in Canada and buy one in Finland. You might also not need a car at all.
Shedlock2000 wrote: It would be a boon if anyone could suggest one which would also help me ship a few personal belongings (computer, clothes, photos, tools, etc).
Most of those look like you could get in extra luggage.
Shedlock2000 wrote: 2) I have a dog, and am looking for suggestions to fly him over with the least distress possible.
Travel by land to New York and fly direct. Otherwise minimize travel time which probably means Icelandair.
Shedlock2000 wrote: 3) If I accept the offer, I need to be in Helsinki by the middle of July (not much time at all!), can anyone offer suggestions for inexpensive furnished accommodation listings (I have tried http://www.vuokraovi.com/, and know about the student postings, but I am a bit older (and have a dog) so I was hoping for something which did not require sharing and that had a fireplace or stove.
Fireplaces are not that common in apartment buildings. Stoves are standard. What is your budget?

rinso

Post by rinso » Sat Jun 04, 2016 1:17 pm

I am a British Citizen (so part of the EU)
For now. :twisted:
a few personal belongings (computer, clothes, photos, tools, etc).
Remember we have here 240 V and 50 Hz. so you need adapters/transformers (= expensive) for them. For some it might be cheaper to buy new here.

Shedlock2000

Post by Shedlock2000 » Sat Jun 04, 2016 7:26 pm

betelgeuse wrote: Think if it's cheaper to sell it in Canada and buy one in Finland. You might also not need a car at all.
You would think so, but from what I've seen, Land Rovers are quite expensive in Finland and mine is fairly significantly modified. If I sold mine here, I could get about $17,500-$18,500; that would not be enough to cover the cost of buying a stock LR3 in Finland. If I added the shipping to it, I'd still only get $24,000 (€15,500) which is also not enough. Shipping the vehicle would also permit cheaper shipping for my personal belongings -- I have about a pallet of stuff (too much for extra plane baggage); shipping a pallet of stuff to Finland costs $2200 -- half the cost of shipping an entire car to Holland (a friend moved a car there last year, but they don't ship to Finland)
betelgeuse wrote: Most of those look like you could get in extra luggage.
possible.
Kinda, but I'd need several cases for clothes and have three computers plus a fair amount of heavy tools. I think I'd still need some non-plane shipping (though tools can come later, the car computers, and clothes need to make the trip relatively quickly!)
betelgeuse wrote: Travel by land to New York and fly direct. Otherwise minimize travel time which probably means Icelandair.
Thanks! I was thinking of flying from Toronto or Halifax to reduce air time.
betelgeuse wrote: Fireplaces are not that common in apartment buildings. Stoves are standard. What is your budget?
€800/900ish. I'm happy to travel a bit to the University and I'm told there are some cheaper places outside of Helsinki city that would be OK to commute from. I'd prefer a small two bedroomed house to an apartment -- for Jyp (my dog) as well as me.

Shedlock2000

Post by Shedlock2000 » Sat Jun 04, 2016 7:31 pm

Rinso wrote: For now. :twisted:
Lol!!
Rinso wrote: Remember we have here 240 V and 50 Hz. so you need adapters/transformers (= expensive) for them. For some it might be cheaper to buy new here.
Good to know!! The only electrical items I'm bringing are my computers, which are dual voltage (I checked). I was talking with my mum yesterday, and we were wondering about the voltage!

Shedlock2000

Post by Shedlock2000 » Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:06 am

roger_roger wrote: Import tax and VAT may cost you around 10K for the model you described.
Yeah, I heard that the VAT and Tax may be significant. I have emailed Finnish customs to inquire as the document they host has couple of contradictions in it: they say that vehicles (that have been owned for more than 6 months prior to import) from non EU states are not taxable -- and they hold that removed vehicles are to be taxed and VAT assessed when they are imported (a contradiction). They also claim that vehicles under 1,850kgs are taxable -- but my vehicle weighs more than that; they make no statement about vehicles that weigh more!
roger_roger wrote:
If you have applied to HOAS for studio apartment then you don't have to share it with other students. In Normal case, pets are not allowed in shared student apartments, so, your chances of getting shared apartments even via room sharing is slim.

Private landlords are being nasty and notorious these days in Finland, also the banks. They may ask you any documents they wish just to deny your application. Most of them asks for payslips even if you say them you are going to start new job, they want to see you have regular income so you could pay them. Its not that easy, but you could easily be caught in vicious circle, No room without Payslip, No payslip without working, No working without having a place to live. Ah, and add that Bank account and Internet banking facility that banks regularly deny for foreigners. Welcome to the wonderland !!!

Only realistic option could be HOAS studio apartments (I'm not sure if Ph.D candidates are offered student apartments, as they are not legally Students but are counted as employed).

Also be careful of housing scams, its on rise here. Do not pay anyone via the wire without seeing the room first, or asking someone trusted (maybe the tutor or ask the professor that accepted you proposal for help, when they are not busy they are very nice persons) to see and verify the informations are correct before paying.
This is good to know, but somewhat disappointing. I was hoping that the rental of accommodation would be problem free -- at least after finding a suitable place. I have not yet applied to HOAS, as I do not really like apartment blocks (too hot and uncomfortable, and I don't like shared laundry!) I was also trying to investigate things before I accept my position at Helsinki (if the property rental, dog, and vehicular issues could not be over come, then I doubt that I could accept my place. Sadly, my doctoral studies do not come with any kind of financial package -- I am very definitely not employed! But I understand how that is how most doctoral positions are perceived.

rinso

Post by rinso » Sun Jun 05, 2016 11:35 am

Yeah, I heard that the VAT and Tax may be significant. I have emailed Finnish customs to inquire as the document they host has couple of contradictions in it: they say that vehicles (that have been owned for more than 6 months prior to import) from non EU states are not taxable -- and they hold that removed vehicles are to be taxed and VAT assessed when they are imported (a contradiction). They also claim that vehicles under 1,850kgs are taxable -- but my vehicle weighs more than that; they make no statement about vehicles that weigh more!
When in doubt, assume you have to pay tax. (I don't know of any non-EU tax exemption) And the taxman determines the value of the car (based on Finnish prices) so you could be in for an unpleasant surprise.
Do the calculation again (transport, tax, extra winter tires, modifications to comply with the Finnish legislation. extra heating) and you might reconsider your plan.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Sun Jun 05, 2016 12:20 pm

rinso wrote:
When in doubt, assume you have to pay tax. (I don't know of any non-EU tax exemption) And the taxman determines the value of the car (based on Finnish prices) so you could be in for an unpleasant surprise.
Do the calculation again (transport, tax, extra winter tires, modifications to comply with the Finnish legislation. extra heating) and you might reconsider your plan.
The transition rules for cars brought when moving are in effect until the end of 2017. It is possible Shedlock2000 is eligible for this exception.
Viimeistään 31.12.2017 Suomeen muuttava henkilö voi saada veronalennuksen nykyisin edellytyksin, jos muuttoajoneuvona verotettava ajoneuvo on rekisteröity muuttajan käyttöön tai sen hankinnasta on tehty sitova ostosopimus viimeistään 31.12.2014.
http://www.tulli.fi/fi/yksityisille/aut ... ajoneuvot/
Shedlock2000 wrote: €800/900ish. I'm happy to travel a bit to the University and I'm told there are some cheaper places outside of Helsinki city that would be OK to commute from. I'd prefer a small two bedroomed house to an apartment -- for Jyp (my dog) as well as me.
Indeed you would have to travel. With those criteria I found nothing for search on Oikotie for Helsinki, Espoo and Vantaa (the big three municipalities in the capital region).

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Sun Jun 05, 2016 12:28 pm

Shedlock2000 wrote: I have not yet applied to HOAS, as I do not really like apartment blocks (too hot and uncomfortable, and I don't like shared laundry!) I was also trying to investigate things before I accept my position at Helsinki (if the property rental, dog, and vehicular issues could not be over come, then I doubt that I could accept my place.
Apartment blocks don't automatically mean shared laundry. I don't know about HOAS studios but private studios usually have places to pluck your own laundry machine. I don't know why Finnish apartment buildings would be any more hot than houses on average at least for newer buildings. Both have the same legal requirements for indoor temperatures.

Shedlock2000

Post by Shedlock2000 » Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:13 am

betelgeuse wrote: Apartment blocks don't automatically mean shared laundry. I don't know about HOAS studios but private studios usually have places to pluck your own laundry machine. I don't know why Finnish apartment buildings would be any more hot than houses on average at least for newer buildings. Both have the same legal requirements for indoor temperatures.
Hmmm, I shall check with HOAS about that. I'm fundamentally lazy, and I like to put on Laundry and forget about it while I research or write -- then I dry it or hang it on the line (BTW, is hanging clothes on a washing line to dry something that is done in Finland? It is illegal in some US states!)

My issue with apartments, is that I have never been able to reduce the temperature to a reasonable level as my apartment was heated by all the others and the residual heat from the corridors etc. My problem is not heating the apartment, but getting it to be cool enough! I tend to only like one warm room and I have all the others cold. This I have found difficult by the way Canadian apartments are heated.

Shedlock2000

Post by Shedlock2000 » Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:17 am

betelgeuse wrote: The transition rules for cars brought when moving are in effect until the end of 2017. It is possible Shedlock2000 is eligible for this exception.
Viimeistään 31.12.2017 Suomeen muuttava henkilö voi saada veronalennuksen nykyisin edellytyksin, jos muuttoajoneuvona verotettava ajoneuvo on rekisteröity muuttajan käyttöön tai sen hankinnasta on tehty sitova ostosopimus viimeistään 31.12.2014.
I shall try to learn Finnish as I progress through my degree -- but I am not quite there yet. Would you be able to translate this? Google Translate bodges it rather awfully.
betelgeuse wrote: Indeed you would have to travel. With those criteria I found nothing for search on Oikotie for Helsinki, Espoo and Vantaa (the big three municipalities in the capital region).
Urgh, disappointing. I have looked on the site I mentioned and I have found a few things for around the 800/900 Euro mark, but nothing spectacular and I do not know how far out of Helsinki they were. I have been told that I would be better using public transport to travel, but I am unable to use busses (extreme motion sickness) so I would have to live close to a railway line....

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:13 am

Shedlock2000 wrote: Hmmm, I shall check with HOAS about that. I'm fundamentally lazy, and I like to put on Laundry and forget about it while I research or write -- then I dry it or hang it on the line (BTW, is hanging clothes on a washing line to dry something that is done in Finland? It is illegal in some US states!)
Can generally be done. Check rental rules just to be safe.
Shedlock2000 wrote: My issue with apartments, is that I have never been able to reduce the temperature to a reasonable level as my apartment was heated by all the others and the residual heat from the corridors etc. My problem is not heating the apartment, but getting it to be cool enough! I tend to only like one warm room and I have all the others cold. This I have found difficult by the way Canadian apartments are heated.
Then you want a place with both central heating and cooling which results in a relatively constant temperature around the year.
Shedlock2000 wrote: I shall try to learn Finnish as I progress through my degree -- but I am not quite there yet. Would you be able to translate this? Google Translate bodges it rather awfully.
http://www.tulli.fi/en/finnish_customs/ ... 008_en.pdf
Shedlock2000 wrote:
betelgeuse wrote: Indeed you would have to travel. With those criteria I found nothing for search on Oikotie for Helsinki, Espoo and Vantaa (the big three municipalities in the capital region).
Urgh, disappointing. I have looked on the site I mentioned and I have found a few things for around the 800/900 Euro mark, but nothing spectacular and I do not know how far out of Helsinki they were. I have been told that I would be better using public transport to travel, but I am unable to use busses (extreme motion sickness) so I would have to live close to a railway line....
Which campus is your faculty in? If it's not the center campus, you can't reach them with railways. Kumpula can be reached with a tram but that's only from the center. Your search becomes easier if you drop down to one bedroom.

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:24 am

Also make note that if your campus is in the city, there is no parking. If you are crazy enough to try fit a truck in morning traffic through town. So you need to budget that 800-900 in paying for parking fees somewhere in a garage... and still use public transport to get wherever you want to be going.
"By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes."

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:53 am

Pursuivant wrote:Also make note that if your campus is in the city, there is no parking. If you are crazy enough to try fit a truck in morning traffic through town. So you need to budget that 800-900 in paying for parking fees somewhere in a garage... and still use public transport to get wherever you want to be going.
EuroPark Kluuvi is 400 euros/month and I think it's possible there are cheaper providers as well.

http://www.europark.fi/hki-kluuvi/