Residence card?

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
Adrian42

Re: Residence card?

Post by Adrian42 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:17 am

Making the situation clear for the OP:

Does your husband already have a job offer in Finland?
If yes he will be able to register his Right of Residence in Finland and you will get a Residence Card. In this case you will also be covered by the Finnish healthcare system and don't have to buy health insurance.

If no, then your husband might not find a job in Finland for years.
Does he anyway want to move to Finland, and do you two have enough money in your bank account to finance a several years long stay together in Finland without a job? Considering the costs of living in Finland, we are talking about over € 10,000 per year.
If yes your husband will be able to register his Right of Residence in Finland and you will get a Residence Card.

If no, then your husband will not be able to register his Right of Residence in Finland.
If you can show a valid health insurance and € 6,720 in your bank account, then you can apply for a one year Residence Permit as a student.

Whether or not you have a Czech Residence Permit is completely irrelevant for your intended move to Finland.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

chilly2908

Post by chilly2908 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:35 am

To make the situation clear too. :D

*Both, my husband and I, are going to move to Finland.
*We will have the 20400 euros requirement or some less amount plus his work income. His current employer is offering a remote work in Finland (the company has some filial there).

*Thank you both for clarifying that I don't need the Czech residence permit to prove the right for getting the residence card, but actually the fact that my husband registers there his right of residence there first.

*In the case that my husband has the work in Finland, I won't need any extra health insurance?

*If we only have the mean of support, we will both have to get a health insurance policy, right? In my case, can it be the one required for students?

Thanks, and sorry for the trouble... :)

Adrian42

Post by Adrian42 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:33 am

chilly2908 wrote:*Both, my husband and I, are going to move to Finland.
*We will have the 20400 euros requirement or some less amount plus his work income.
There is no 20400 euros requirement for you, that would only apply if your husband was not an EU citizen.
chilly2908 wrote:His current employer is offering a remote work in Finland (the company has some filial there).
OK, so he can register his Right of Residence.

Now timing is the only question:

By law, your husband has to get the certificate for registering his Right of Residence immediately.

By law, after applying for your Residence Card it will have to be issued within six months.

You will get a certificate of the application for the Residence Card immediately. Will your university accept that?
chilly2908 wrote:*In the case that my husband has the work in Finland, I won't need any extra health insurance?
When he has a Finnish employment contract (taxes and social security are paid in Finland, and his wage is not lower than the minimum wage for his profession according to the applicable Finnish collective agreement) that is permanent or for at least 2 years, then he and his family members are covered by the Finnish social security system.

rlmedinburgh

Post by rlmedinburgh » Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:40 pm

I have posted my question on Moving to Finland. Some of the posters here seem to state that a non-EU family member (spouse or registered partner) of an EU citizen does not have the right to live and work in Finland unless they have a Residence Card in Finland. This contradicts EU law. According to EU law, EU citizens, who qualify to reside in another EU country, and their non-EU spouses/registered partners, have the right to live and work freely from day one in another EU country. I am very concerned that I am getting a similar response from the Helsinki Police. This would be my first time in 7 years that an EU country has told me that I have to wait the 6 months for a Residence Card (and therefore would lose a job offer).

What I find interesting is that the UK is accused of not adhering to EU law, but they seem to be adhering to the law exactly. It shocks me that a Nordic country seems to be so confused on the topic, and may even be breaking EU law (and getting away with it).