Dual nationality

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
Post Reply
mrkstndn
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:06 pm

Dual nationality

Post by mrkstndn » Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:20 pm

Hopefully someone can help me with this as I'm struggling to get the answers on the official websites!

I was born in England to a Finnish mother and English father - I have a British Passport. My mother is still a Finnish citizen but mostly living in England. As far as I know my birth wasn't registered in Finland. I have been considering getting dual nationality for a long time - partly because I'm proud of my Finnish heritage but also after the UK's decision to exit the EU I'm actively looking to get it. My wife and I (she's English) are also now considering moving to Finland with our two young kids.

Q1: What would be the process to get dual nationality? Q2: does that give me any benefit/advantage if we moved to Finland?

Thanks!



Dual nationality

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic
 

Upphew
Posts: 9910
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:55 pm
Location: Lappeenranta

Re: Dual nationality

Post by Upphew » Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:14 pm

mrkstndn wrote:Hopefully someone can help me with this as I'm struggling to get the answers on the official websites!

I was born in England to a Finnish mother and English father - I have a British Passport. My mother is still a Finnish citizen but mostly living in England. As far as I know my birth wasn't registered in Finland. I have been considering getting dual nationality for a long time - partly because I'm proud of my Finnish heritage but also after the UK's decision to exit the EU I'm actively looking to get it. My wife and I (she's English) are also now considering moving to Finland with our two young kids.

Q1: What would be the process to get dual nationality? Q2: does that give me any benefit/advantage if we moved to Finland?

Thanks!
A1: http://www.migri.fi/finnish_citizenship
A2: you are treated lika a Finn, no permits, no nonsense. That can be disadvantage too.
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.


User avatar
Beep_Boop
Posts: 1969
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:29 pm
Location: Niflheim, Suomi

Re: Dual nationality

Post by Beep_Boop » Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:37 pm

Upphew wrote:That can be disadvantage too.
Is it, really?
Step 1- Arrive to Finland
Step 2- Start receiving free money and returnee integration assistance almost immediately.
Every f*cking application is unique.You can't measure the result of your application based on random anecdotes online. Stop being a moron!


User avatar
Pursuivant
Posts: 15094
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2004 11:51 am
Location: Bath & Wells

Re: Dual nationality

Post by Pursuivant » Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:42 pm

But then again, you won't get any help with "stuff everyone knows about" as you being a Finn should "know everything everybody knows" and "integration" stuff like getting onto a language course etc. is for "foreigners"...

Nevermind depending on your age, theres the small question over national service.

As far as moving goes - have you looked at that sheepfarmer job in Outer Hebrides? See the difference is, there's a job there.
"By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes."


Rosamunda
Posts: 10609
Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2004 12:07 am

Re: Dual nationality

Post by Rosamunda » Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:00 pm

Actually I'm looking for a sheep shearer. There is a dearth of them in southern Finland. My personal best is just under an hour for one sheep (hand shearing) and the results are not particularly brilliant: punk mohican sort of. There must be someone out there looking for a couple of hours work (only three sheep need shearing, the rest were done in the spring).


leisl
Posts: 422
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:26 pm

Re: Dual nationality

Post by leisl » Mon Jul 04, 2016 2:50 am

Pursuivant wrote:But then again, you won't get any help with "stuff everyone knows about" as you being a Finn should "know everything everybody knows" and "integration" stuff like getting onto a language course etc. is for "foreigners"...

Nevermind depending on your age, theres the small question over national service.

As far as moving goes - have you looked at that sheepfarmer job in Outer Hebrides? See the difference is, there's a job there.
Actually Finnish nationals are just as entitled to integration as anyone else. I know a few who did the Finnish language courses alongside the rainbow of other foreigners.

And to be fair they don't tell any of the other foreigners all that stuff people are supposed to know either. "Integration" as a concept provided by the Finnish government is a joke. They tell you nothing at all at MOL except when to turn up at classes. Then it's "here, learn your minä olen" plus six weeks of work practice, chosen by the student, and half the students are canny enough to pick something easy with no Finnish language required. Churn, churn, the machine spits out people barely able to chat about the weather, with their employment prospects not much better than before they began.

Integration is about actually getting an interactive job communicating with Finns, and a social life with Finns, and in Finland neither are an easy thing to do. National service is probably the only shortcut.


007
Posts: 620
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:01 pm

Re: Dual nationality

Post by 007 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:55 am

leisl wrote:
Pursuivant wrote:Actually Finnish nationals are just as entitled to integration as anyone else...... to be fair they don't tell any of the other foreigners all that stuff people are supposed to know either.
I wanted to chip in to throw some lights in that claim, which is of course wanting a bit of a truth. Truth is refugees and asylum seekers are spoonfed by maahanmuuttajapalvelut offices for about two years in matters relating to social and health issues. The services are more or less the same but it's like with vip membership.

And, also In my case, as I had already lived in Finland for over 3 years (as a student)..didn't even get the integration program for good or bad..I was labeled a 'job seeker' on the spot by TE tomisto. I was seen to have already integrated into the society or something in their eyes. So, one cannot simply put all foreigners into one single basket.
“Go where you are celebrated – not tolerated."
"Aina, kun opit uuden sanan, opettele samalla sen monikko!"


slow nick
Posts: 11
Joined: Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:29 pm

Re: Dual nationality

Post by slow nick » Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:42 pm

A child acquires jus sanguinis Finnish citizenship at birth if the child's mother is a Finnish citizen.

You just need to make sure you are registered to the Population Information System, and then you can apply for a Finnish passport (the embassy in London is the only place you can do it in the UK, and it costs £110).

Multiple citizenship is great, and pretty much means you can go back and forward between the two with no restriction. My mother was Finnish & British too and hopped between the two well before Finland joined the EU, before finally settling in the UK.

Image


Rosamunda
Posts: 10609
Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2004 12:07 am

Re: Dual nationality

Post by Rosamunda » Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:18 am

Pursuivant wrote:
Nevermind depending on your age, theres the small question over national service.

.
How old are you? Being married with a young child is not sufficient to exempt you from conscription.


Arla
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:13 pm

Re: Dual nationality

Post by Arla » Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:24 pm

Did you find more information on this? I am currently hoping to get dual citizenship after Brexit. My father is from Finland and is still a Finnish national and uses his Finnish passport but he lives in the U.K. My mother is British and I have lived in Britain my whole life. Looking at different websites and I can't seem to find a clear answer. Some have said that I would need to be able to speak the language, is this correct? Any information would be helpful :D


User avatar
Pursuivant
Posts: 15094
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2004 11:51 am
Location: Bath & Wells

Re: Dual nationality

Post by Pursuivant » Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:59 pm

Just go to the MIGRI pages, theres a form you can fill out for "investigating" Finnish citizenship that is pretty straight forward. Its easier if your birth was registered at the embassy at the time, but sounds pretty straight forward.
"By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes."


leisl
Posts: 422
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:26 pm

Re: Dual nationality

Post by leisl » Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:09 am

Arla wrote:Did you find more information on this? I am currently hoping to get dual citizenship after Brexit. My father is from Finland and is still a Finnish national and uses his Finnish passport but he lives in the U.K. My mother is British and I have lived in Britain my whole life. Looking at different websites and I can't seem to find a clear answer. Some have said that I would need to be able to speak the language, is this correct? Any information would be helpful :D
The language aspect only applies if you try to get naturalised from zero. First go down the track of claiming, or reclaiming, the Finnish citizenship that might apply/might have previously applied - according to the post directly before this one. If that fails, go down the "close Finnish ties and descendant of a Finn" permanent residency option, which grants 99% of the rights that Finnish citizens get.


User avatar
Piet
Posts: 456
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:45 pm
Location: Finland

Re: Dual nationality

Post by Piet » Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:28 pm

Rosamunda wrote:
Pursuivant wrote:
Nevermind depending on your age, theres the small question over national service.

.
How old are you? Being married with a young child is not sufficient to exempt you from conscription.
I will ask you "rosamunda" because you seem to have an extensive knowledge of Finnish law, how does that work:

You live in f.e. UK like this guy and you already served in the UK army, then you get your Finnish Passport and nationality... but you stay in UK. what then? do you need to go forced to Finland to serve or will you have to serve as soon as you enter the country, or does serving in a foreign defensive force exempt you from service in Finnish army?

Please enlighten us with your knowledge :wink:
If god would give us the source code, we could change the world
Image


User avatar
Pursuivant
Posts: 15094
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2004 11:51 am
Location: Bath & Wells

Re: Dual nationality

Post by Pursuivant » Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:35 pm

If you have professionally/national service in another country, you will be generally exempt from Finnish national service due to:
- conflicting interests, and as below
- some countries like USA being very stroppy about "serving in foreign military"

So, its a question of "can we trust you"... Finland has had a history of sending their own professional military to foreign academies, and legionnaires aren't shunned, but some foreigner served professionally in a foreign military getting into the Finnish... yeah, not happening.
"By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes."


Post Reply