Moving from Persian Gulf to Northern Finland?

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
Ayman1977

Post by Ayman1977 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:05 am

Hello everyone,

I was googling stuff on moving to Finland and came across this wonderful forum. I fell in love with Finland (especially Lappland) when I was touring Scandinavia a couple of years ago. It was winter time, so I have an idea what to expect climate wise! Now I'd like to move to Northern Finland permanently and I hope that you could maybe provide me with some tips.

I'm a friendly man from a relatively wealthy country in the Gulf region that I don't wish to mention for the time being. The reason I wish to relocate to someplace completely different is the fact that I've grown so tired of the harsh business mentality that is prevalent everywhere in my country and in the whole region. I personally prefer modesty and simplicity.

One of the main reasons why I've chosen Finland is because I'm bit of a hermit and kind of an ascetic. I value privacy very high. I'd love to live alone in isolation and meet other people just occasionally. It would be great to just spend the days chopping firewood, writing a book and walking in nature. Maybe I could even learn to hunt my own food from the forest!

What should I take into account when planning to move to Lappland? Is there housing easily available or am I expected to build my own house? Can I get a permission to buy land without being a Finnish resident first? Do the real estate and building companies generally speak any English or do I need a translator?

And most importantly, can I get a permanent residency permit just by demonstrating that I have sufficient funds to support myself in Finland for the rest of my life if necessary? I have no need to abuse the welfare system I know Finland is very proud of and I'm willing to make a written agreement about this with the immigration officers.

I'm not planning to apply for any job in Finland as I already have more than sufficient income from other investments and in order to maintain this I would probably have to travel back to my home country only occasionally. I can manage mostly with internet and phone, though. But once I've settled in Finland and have a residency permit, am I free to travel and return as I please?

I imagine that the language makes things difficult because I speak no Finnish at all, but I would like to learn. Don't know how long that might take, though... Does everyone in Lappland speak Finnish, or do I need to learn Sami Indian language as well?

Am I likely to encounter racism in Northern Finland because I'm Middle Eastern?

And please recommend some nice, beautiful and scenic places in Lappland that I should look into. It's such a big area that I don't know where to start looking! I'm going to purchase a proper car and maybe a snow mobile too, so as long as there are roads available long distance won't be an issue.

I'm very sorry for the long post. Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Rip

Re: Moving from Persian Gulf to Northern Finland?

Post by Rip » Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:50 am

Ayman1977 wrote: Is there housing easily available or am I expected to build my own house?
There are houses available, I don't know if they are to your liking
Can I get a permission to buy land without being a Finnish resident first?
You do not need a permission to buy land. Without a residence permit it would only use for short vacations though.
Do the real estate and building companies generally speak any English or do I need a translator?
At least larger real estate agencies should have also English speaking staff. Expect documents to be in Finnish though. My guess is that regarding building companies the situation varies. Bigger companies more likely do than smaller ones. Again the actual contracts would be most likely in Finnish. Usually I guess more money you're ready to spend, more interested they are in getting you as a customer.
And most importantly, can I get a permanent residency permit just by demonstrating that I have sufficient funds to support myself in Finland for the rest of my life if necessary?
No. You might be able to get a temporary permit on "other grounds" on that basis, but generally speaking you should be able to show a job or realistic business plan for an own company. I guess the latter one could be something that would look more like a hobby to you, if it still would generate enough revenues to live on for somebody needing that.
I have no need to abuse the welfare system I know Finland is very proud of and I'm willing to make a written agreement about this with the immigration officers.
unfortunately such agreement would not be enforceable, so that won't work.
I can manage mostly with internet and phone, though. But once I've settled in Finland and have a residency permit, am I free to travel and return as I please?
In general, yes.
With citizenship applications there are explicit rules how much of time you can have spent outside Finland to be still eligible. There might be some limit with the permanent residence permit (you would not be eligible for that in any case before four years after getting your first permit) if you've spent very little time truly here.
or do I need to learn Sami Indian language as well?
I don't think there are anybody who would speak Sami only nowadays.
[/quote]
Currently I'd expect that fairly many would think you're an Iraqi living on public welfare when they see you. Would there be something worse than that , I don't know.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:56 am

Ayman1977 wrote: Can I get a permission to buy land without being a Finnish resident first?
Anyone can buy land so you don't need permission.
Ayman1977 wrote: Do the real estate and building companies generally speak any English or do I need a translator?
Some of them should.
Ayman1977 wrote: And most importantly, can I get a permanent residency permit just by demonstrating that I have sufficient funds to support myself in Finland for the rest of my life if necessary?
No.
Ayman1977 wrote: I have no need to abuse the welfare system I know Finland is very proud of and I'm willing to make a written agreement about this with the immigration officers.
Such an agreement is not possible.
Ayman1977 wrote: I'm not planning to apply for any job in Finland as I already have more than sufficient income from other investments and in order to maintain this I would probably have to travel back to my home country only occasionally.
Your best hope to qualify for a residence permit would be to structure the cashflow from investments so that it becomes salaried income giving you access to a job based permit.
Ayman1977 wrote: I can manage mostly with internet and phone, though. But once I've settled in Finland and have a residency permit, am I free to travel and return as I please?
Yes.
Ayman1977 wrote: I imagine that the language makes things difficult because I speak no Finnish at all, but I would like to learn. Don't know how long that might take, though... Does everyone in Lappland speak Finnish, or do I need to learn Sami Indian language as well?
I don't know about everyone but learning Sami should not be necessary.
Ayman1977 wrote: Am I likely to encounter racism in Northern Finland because I'm Middle Eastern?
Yes.

Ayman1977

Post by Ayman1977 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:03 am

I want to thank you both for your useful answers.

But I would like to clarify that is it really so that Finland doesn't have any kind of investor based residency option? Do I really have to have a salary based income? What if I, for example, invest in Finnish stock market and generate sufficient annual revenue from that? Or what if I become a partner to a pre-existing Finnish company?
Currently I'd expect that fairly many would think you're an Iraqi living on public welfare when they see you. Would there be something worse than that , I don't know.
This is very sad news. Because I really don't like Iraqi people. Are there lots of Iraqi people living in Northern Finland then? I wonder why they choose to live there. Or does the government send them there because it's remote?

Upphew

Post by Upphew » Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:25 am

Ayman1977 wrote:But I would like to clarify that is it really so that Finland doesn't have any kind of investor based residency option? Do I really have to have a salary based income? What if I, for example, invest in Finnish stock market and generate sufficient annual revenue from that? Or what if I become a partner to a pre-existing Finnish company?
That overtaking lane is probably coming, but it is still under scrutiny. The idea was in news in March and it is not likely anything happens this year, imho.
Ayman1977 wrote:This is very sad news. Because I really don't like Iraqi people. Are there lots of Iraqi people living in Northern Finland then? I wonder why they choose to live there. Or does the government send them there because it's remote?
Refugees are in the news, not in the streets. Many came here because of false advertising and have decided that Finland isn't for them, hopefully spreading news how living here really is. Especially for refugees. Refugees, regardless of their nationality, tend to cost money for taxpayers and when there are lot of them the taxpayers don't like it. Not to mention when said refugees boast that they have 2013 Mustang back home in Iraq.
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.

rinso

Post by rinso » Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:41 pm

I wonder why they choose to live there. Or does the government send them there because it's remote?
There is a refugee route through Russia, entering Lapland. So many arrive that way and stay there. And the government discourages the concentration of refugees in big cities. (i.e. incentives with lower rents in smaller places)

Rip

Post by Rip » Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:16 pm

Ayman1977 wrote:I want to thank you both for your useful answers.

But I would like to clarify that is it really so that Finland doesn't have any kind of investor based residency option?
At least for now no,
Or what if I become a partner to a pre-existing Finnish company?
That should work (if you can show some income from it)
What if I, for example, invest in Finnish stock market and generate sufficient annual revenue from that?
I assume that could work again if you wrap it into some investment company. I won't start arguing with you if you think it feels bit stupid.

This is very sad news. Because I really don't like Iraqi people. Are there lots of Iraqi people living in Northern Finland then?
You must have encountered the news about asylum seekers to Europe last year. There was over 30 000 of them to Finland. 20 000 from Iraq and 5000 from Afghanistan (the average Finn couldn't tell the difference based on looks). Predominant route was across the Swedish border fairly high in the North. They have been accommodated all over the country, including the Northern parts.

Anyway, the number of current or former asylum seekers that are Arabs or look roughly like that is currently higher probably by about factor of 100 at least compared to the number of wealthy people from Gulf states living here because they like the local nature.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:42 pm

Rip wrote:
Ayman1977 wrote:What if I, for example, invest in Finnish stock market and generate sufficient annual revenue from that?
I assume that could work again if you wrap it into some investment company. I won't start arguing with you if you think it feels bit stupid.
As a Finnish resident, for significant investments, you would want an investment vehicle any way for tax reasons. Once you are resident here, you will be taxed Finnish rates on your global personal income.