1st time in Finland

Find information on places to go, things to see, eating out, Finnish food, recipes and more
AuroraBorealis

1st time in Finland

Post by AuroraBorealis » Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:30 pm

Me and my hubby are coming to Finland for the first time :D . Would any of you friendly souls have tips for places where we definitely must go and what we definitely must try and eat?

We're heading to Helsinki in the end of July (and staying for 3 weeks), but we're aiming to travel around quite a bit.

All tips are welcome!

1st time in Finland

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

umi

Re: 1st time in Finland

Post by umi » Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:53 pm

If you coming here at least jump on a train north to the Artic circle, that way you get to see the country side, Helsinki is a typical city in Europe. Best to get out and see the real Finland.

Oombongo

Post by Oombongo » Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:33 am

AuroraBorealis wrote:Me and my hubby are coming to Finland for the first time :D . Would any of you friendly souls have tips for places where we definitely must go and what we definitely must try and eat?

We're heading to Helsinki in the end of July (and staying for 3 weeks), but we're aiming to travel around quite a bit.

All tips are welcome!
For starters, don't forget umbrella and jackets.
Image Image

Jukka Aho

Post by Jukka Aho » Sat Jul 09, 2016 10:14 pm

Oombongo wrote:For starters, don't forget umbrella and jackets.
Life jackets?

Here's what The New York Times suggests:

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016 ... .html?_r=2

The OP might want to try some of the A&S restaurants, all of which have different themes:

http://www.asravintolat.fi/en/
znark

SecretCode

Post by SecretCode » Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:19 pm

In Helsinki, see the cathedral (obviously). I liked the Temppeliaukio Church carved into bedrock. It's about 2km from the Esplanade. And the Natural History Museum.

Places I haven't been to - for complicated reasons - but mean to, include the island fortress Suomenlinna and the open-air island museum Seurasaari.

Try a Lappish restaurant - like Lappish Restaurant Saaga - Lappish and Finnish food in Helsinki city center, Bulevard.

Outside Helsinki ... lots of mosquito repellent. You should visit one of the 100,000+ lakes and see some pine and spruce forest - you can do all this in one of the nature reserves like Nuuksio, about 40km north-west of Helsinki. You might just be in time to pick bilberries. There are millions.