Student is moving to Finland

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
Emertha

Post by Emertha » Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:14 pm

Hello,

Sorry for my mistake I somebody had similar problem - but when I was reading all topics, I didn't see a solution for me.

I am in Finland from 3 weeks - at this moment, I am a Trainee from Erasmus from my university, for exacly 3 months (until 20th of Sep). I would like to move to Finland - and now, about my problems...
I have a few questions to you, because I was asking everyone (Finnish people + office for imigrants) about how to do it. Now I have only the Traineeship, after 20th of September I think, I won't get any work (I dont know Finnish language) but I would like to learn this - I heard about learning courses for unemployed where you can get the money for this (this is true?). Although, I am a student and I dont know, if I am on the last year of psychology in my country (Poland) I can register like unemployed and get money because of these lessons.
The second thing is... I know that I have to register at the police station for this... Finnish number - but: I dont know if I can register there during my Traineeship (so less than 3 months) and if I need contract of employment (but as I said, I dont believe, that I will get a work here without language...) so how I can do this?
for this moment I understand, that I can't register as an unemployed because I dont have the Finnish number, but from the other side - I cant register myself at the police station, because I dont have a work here...
Can somebody tell me, what I can do?
Thank you in advance for any tips,

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

rinso

Re: Student is moving to Finland

Post by rinso » Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:51 am

Emertha wrote:Hello,

Sorry for my mistake I somebody had similar problem - but when I was reading all topics, I didn't see a solution for me.

I am in Finland from 3 weeks - at this moment, I am a Trainee from Erasmus from my university, for exacly 3 months (until 20th of Sep). I would like to move to Finland - and now, about my problems...
I have a few questions to you, because I was asking everyone (Finnish people + office for imigrants) about how to do it. Now I have only the Traineeship, after 20th of September I think, I won't get any work (I dont know Finnish language) but I would like to learn this - I heard about learning courses for unemployed where you can get the money for this (this is true?). Although, I am a student and I dont know, if I am on the last year of psychology in my country (Poland) I can register like unemployed and get money because of these lessons.
The second thing is... I know that I have to register at the police station for this... Finnish number - but: I dont know if I can register there during my Traineeship (so less than 3 months) and if I need contract of employment (but as I said, I dont believe, that I will get a work here without language...) so how I can do this?
for this moment I understand, that I can't register as an unemployed because I dont have the Finnish number, but from the other side - I cant register myself at the police station, because I dont have a work here...
Can somebody tell me, what I can do?
Thank you in advance for any tips,
The general principals are:
- students don't get any financial help
- if you need financial help the police won't register you

So forget about a shortcut to the social security system. Either find a job, live of your savings or go back.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:24 pm

Emertha wrote: Although, I am a student and I dont know, if I am on the last year of psychology in my country (Poland) I can register like unemployed and get money because of these lessons.
Once you graduate in Poland, you have the option to get Polish benefits (if there's any) in Finland while you look for work.

http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/wo ... dex_en.htm

However, this will not probably give you access to language courses.

leisl

Post by leisl » Sun Jul 10, 2016 3:49 am

Loosely speaking the free Finnish language courses are for people who are registered as residents in Finland for reasons other than study. Students are a special case, as are EU citizens who can be here under "freedom of movement" without being registered residents (you).

Your answer will be no. Of course you can pay for your own course, but it won't help you get a job anyway, you're only here for three months, you're not going to learn Finnish in that time, it's impossible.