Brother lives in Finland, Can I get a residence permit?

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
whatmika

Post by whatmika » Sat Jul 09, 2016 10:26 pm

I have a very close sibling that used to live with me in the United States, but due to unforeseen circumstances, he had to move back to Finland. Would I be able to obtain a residence permit based on family ties? I have been reading up on the migri website and I came across, http://www.migri.fi/moving_to_finland_t ... r_relative, but I'm not sure if I would be eligible for a residence permit under this category. My brother is a Finnish citizen, if that helps. I'm currently under 18, but I really want to move to Finland, and was hoping I could maybe move to Finland when I'm a little older...

Please give me any advice that could help me out. Thank you!

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

leisl

Re: Brother lives in Finland, Can I get a residence permit?

Post by leisl » Sun Jul 10, 2016 4:11 am

No, under the definition of family ties you are not a dependent. Him being a citizen won't change that.

There have been people in here who discussed trying to make guardianship happen (set the brother as legal guardian, then apply) but to my knowledge they never indicated whether it was successful, and there were genuine, unusual circumstances, such as, the parents had passed away or something similar. If the Finnish immigration service was ok with people joining siblings under the scheme, we would have a thousand applications overnight - so it is a basic "no, you can't, it's not in the guidelines". In addition for it to go through your brother would have to demonstrate sufficient income to support you under the new family reunification rules.

Yes, someone will point out there is an option to apply under special circumstances. Feel free, if you want to risk the expensive application fee for a likely rejection - it's for special circumstances and you're not one, as far as we can tell from your post. If you actually have a demonstrable reason feel free to elaborate below. And remember it will have to be something you can prove to Migri. "I miss him" or "he looked after me" are insufficient.
whatmika wrote:I'm currently under 18, but I really want to move to Finland, and was hoping I could maybe move to Finland when I'm a little older...

Please give me any advice that could help me out. Thank you!
YES! :) IMO you are more likely to achieve this by applying and getting accepted to a Finnish university; this will require you to have finished high school and pass the entrance exam, then you apply for a residency permit based on study, show your 8000 euros in the bank, and can come over all without using him as the anchor. Much better plan. Work hard, get good grades, think about what you'd like to do over here, perhaps look into the degrees and trade qualifications offered in English. :)