If you only have a "residency" can you get social assistance

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
niceguy40

Post by niceguy40 » Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:25 am

Quick question if anyone know this. Say you immigrate to Finland. You only get a residency. Can you still apply for social assistance? How much do you get and how long does it take to start getting the income?

Please don't get the wrong idea. This is just a hypothetical situation, but a question that I'd like to gather more details on. Thank you.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

niceguy40

Re: If you only have a "residency" can you get social assist

Post by niceguy40 » Mon Jul 04, 2016 8:17 am

I'll either be getting my Finnish Citizenship. If so that's pretty straight forward.

If not then the alternative if it goes this way is getting a residency based on ethnicity. So if that's the case I might be starting out from square one when I arrive. So that's where knowing this could come in handy.

interleukin

Post by interleukin » Mon Jul 04, 2016 8:56 am

Also, there are two types of assistance one can get, the residence-based ones and the "you have contributed to the system"-ones. You won't get unemployment money or stuff like that, assistance that is based on first having paid taxes/making payments. As a resident (except student) you are eligible for basic things such as maternal/paternal leave, health care subsidies, etc.
Have you looked at KELA's website already? (www.kela.fiweb/en)

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:44 pm

interleukin wrote:You won't get unemployment money or stuff like that, assistance that is based on first having paid taxes/making payments.
Labor market subsidy does not require having contributed to the system.
interleukin wrote: As a resident (except student) you are eligible for basic things such as maternal/paternal leave, health care subsidies, etc.
Everyone including students can get income support from the municipality. However, for students this can lead to deportation since you do not satisfy the conditions for the residence permit any more.

leisl

Post by leisl » Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:43 am

All semantics instead of coming back to the basic issue.

Stop trying to move to Finland with no money and no way to support yourself and think you can live like Bear Grylls on berries and squirrels without cash. It's a bad idea and nobody will appreciate it let alone support you in doing so. Facts won't change by making another fifty new threads asking things like whether you can illegally occupy someone else's house, live in a tent in the forest or get everything free off the government while contributing nothing to our society :(

A practical plan is: check your eligibility for the residence permit based on descent, apply, and get that first. Have enough savings for a rental deposit. Make sure you can tie up your affairs in your home country. Think about planning your integration here, which will be 3-5 years of learning Finnish plus a degree or a practical trade qualification so that you can actually make a life here.

Rocking up with a backpack and a sleeping bag is a rubbish plan and isn't going to come up roses. It will only transfer your poverty here and give you an equally crappy existence except with snow and hunger and societal exclusion added in.

niceguy40

Post by niceguy40 » Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:30 am

leisl wrote:All semantics instead of coming back to the basic issue.

Stop trying to move to Finland with no money and no way to support yourself and think you can live like Bear Grylls on berries and squirrels without cash. It's a bad idea and nobody will appreciate it let alone support you in doing so. Facts won't change by making another fifty new threads asking things like whether you can illegally occupy someone else's house, live in a tent in the forest or get everything free off the government while contributing nothing to our society :(

A practical plan is: check your eligibility for the residence permit based on descent, apply, and get that first. Have enough savings for a rental deposit. Make sure you can tie up your affairs in your home country. Think about planning your integration here, which will be 3-5 years of learning Finnish plus a degree or a practical trade qualification so that you can actually make a life here.

Rocking up with a backpack and a sleeping bag is a rubbish plan and isn't going to come up roses. It will only transfer your poverty here and give you an equally crappy existence except with snow and hunger and societal exclusion added in.
it's only a bad plan to a brainwashed zombie robot who has no ability to think outside the box. Sorry. but there is other realities than what "the man" wants you to think in.

Post by 007 » Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:06 am

Oh..we are seeing residual sisu here. RP granted on descent ground. :lol:
“Go where you are celebrated – not tolerated."
"Aina, kun opit uuden sanan, opettele samalla sen monikko!"

niceguy40

Post by niceguy40 » Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:34 pm

I apologies for saying that. That wasn't right. I was drinking though.

leisl

Post by leisl » Sun Jul 10, 2016 4:02 am

niceguy40 wrote:it's only a bad plan to a brainwashed zombie robot who has no ability to think outside the box. Sorry. but there is other realities than what "the man" wants you to think in.
Of course there are :roll: But thinking counts for nothing. Doing counts. I did stuff. I get a return that makes strangers sit up and take notice. I did stuff that left the taxman gobsmacked and unsure how to tax me. I pay a big chunk in tax from it and still earn more from it than any bank can offer in interest rates. And I did it because I thought outside the box - the vast masses never did and they haven't figured out the secret yet. But I didn't sit on my secret and just imagine it. I got off my backside and did it. It took years of work.

Your ideas are all dreaming. We've yet to see you actually note a single, tiny, minuscule thing that you've put in place or changed or achieved to give any evidence whatsoever that you do more than dream and hope.

Nobody cares what you think or who you are or if you're nice or if you can think outside the box. Big deal, anyone can say that. They care what you can do. They want results. Here's an article for you. And if you can't figure out how it relates to you, do some more dreaming.
http://www.cracked.com/blog/6-harsh-tru ... person_p1/

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:26 am

Think outside the box! Be open-minded!
... just don't be so open-minded that your brains drop on the floor, and without the box, when the hard-reality bus comes...
"By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes."

PJG

Post by PJG » Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:05 am

niceguy40 wrote:
leisl wrote: it's only a bad plan to a brainwashed zombie robot who has no ability to think outside the box. Sorry. but there is other realities than what "the man" wants you to think in.
It's a bad plan for a guy who thinks his 'ethnicity' and some beer goggles (rose tinted spectacles) will somehow turn Finland into some kind of Shangri-La.

You need to start taking the advice that's offered in reply to your questions and stop thinking you know better when the answer doesn't suit you. You don't know better.

If you want any chance to make a life for yourself here then you need to prepare yourself to get a job, pay your taxes and support yourself, properly.

The fictitious Walter Mitty had more realistic ideas about what he could do than you have about a life in Finland. You need to stop daydreaming and get on with your life. Boozing it up then arguing online with people who actually have the answers to your questions, while generally coming across as an aspiring leech just puts you at the bottom of the pile, pal.

Finland's a great country. It won't work for someone who wants to do things the way you think you can. To be very blunt, there's little in the attitude you display that I would recognise as being any way Finnish.

Stop talking, start doing. Finn's don't care much for smack-talk. Only action matters here.