When should we apply for my wife's residence permit?

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
seti

Post by seti » Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:49 pm

Hi all,

firstly I thank you all because during my rp progress you patiently replied my questions, now I got my id card :) For a short reminder, I was hired by a company and applied as an employed person to the residence permit. There are some questions we wonder about, I tried to search forum database but I couldn't get answers clearly. My wife will apply for residence permit too, but when/where? She is a research assistant in a university and we are non-eu citizens. Also we married at end of 2013 with no child..

1- When should she apply?
I got my card last week and I'm not in Finland yet, waiting for employer's call. Would she wait for a few weeks after when I start to work? Because of some paperwork like tax payments etc.

2- Is there any advantage/disadvantage to visit me with tourist visa and then apply in Finland for rp?
I know everyone think about these but processing times really long especially for married couples.

3- Ok, let say we applied in our country so during the progress for rp, could she get tourist visa to visit me? then she will return to here before expire date.
I searched about this on migri.fi, they say she can't but maybe I missunderstand.

Thank you for your time,

:beer_yum: beer for all :D

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

farfaraway

Re: When should we apply for my wife's residence permit?

Post by farfaraway » Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:11 am

1. As soon as possible. As the police is very busy, the sooner you apply the faster you can get your permit
2. I don't know about this, but my wife applied from her country and it only took 9 months to process...
3. They are 2 separate things, I think your wife can still apply for a Visa to visit you while waiting for her permit

betelgeuse

Re: When should we apply for my wife's residence permit?

Post by betelgeuse » Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:15 pm

seti wrote: 1- When should she apply?
Normally she would have applied with you and you would both already have the decisions.
seti wrote: 2- Is there any advantage/disadvantage to visit me with tourist visa and then apply in Finland for rp?
Applications in Finland and in embassy are processed by different entities so they have different processing times. This will change beginning of 2017 when Migri does them all.
seti wrote: 3- Ok, let say we applied in our country so during the progress for rp, could she get tourist visa to visit me? then she will return to here before expire date.
I searched about this on migri.fi, they say she can't but maybe I missunderstand.
She could but it would depend on whether they believe her intention to return.