old residence permit, new passport

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
angelina voll

Post by angelina voll » Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:55 pm

Hi all!

I'd like to ask, does anyone here has a successful experience with the returning to Finland with the new passport and with the old but valid residence permit card?

In fact I've read on the site of migri fi something like an answer to this question:

9. I have a new passport. What do I do with my residence permit card?

Your residence permit card must have the same personal data as your passport. If your personal details in your new passport are the same as in your old passport and in your residence permit card, you do not need to do anything.
If your personal data, such as your name, has changed, you must apply for a new residence permit card. Fill out the form OLE_KORTTI and submit the application to a police service point in Finland.

So that means that if you name, age, sex are the same in the new passport you can return with it?

But I still have some doubts because the new passport will have the new passport number for sure! And I don't want to change my passport in the embassy of my home country (Belarus) because it takes 3 months in the embassy and only 2 weeks in Belarus.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Rip

Re: old residence permit, new passport

Post by Rip » Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:40 am

angelina voll wrote: So that means that if you name, age, sex are the same in the new passport you can return with it?
Yes. I don't think your passport number is even in the card, right?

Beep_Boop

Post by Beep_Boop » Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:32 pm

Rip wrote:Yes. I don't think your passport number is even in the card, right?
Correct.

To OP: With the 2012 scheme, RP card is a separate entity from the passport. As long as your identity is still the same (name, sex, DoB, etc.), it's all good.
Every case is unique. You can't measure the result of your application based on arbitrary anecdotes online.

angelina voll

Post by angelina voll » Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:27 pm

Ok...I''ve got it...Thank you all for the answers!