Clothing for Finland Visit

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
gls33_1984

Post by gls33_1984 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:47 pm

Hello Folks

We are travelling to Finland to get married in December. We know what we need to wear to keep warm etc.
Since booking our wedding we have been blessed with a daughter. What we'd like to know is what to dress our little one in to keep her warm. She'll be 10 months when we visit. There seems to be a lack of thermals and what not for little people. Snow suits seem to be the same as we use in the UK. We were told to stay away from cotton as under layers, baby clothes tend to mostly be cotton. So any helpful hints and tips would be appreciated. Any links to shops etc.
Any related help concerning bringing a baby to Finland. I'm grateful for any information!

(I hope I have posted in the correct place, please forgive me if i havent)

Gemma :)

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Rosamunda

Re: Clothing for Finland Visit

Post by Rosamunda » Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:12 am

Helsinki is not necessarily much colder than London in December and we don't seem to get much snow before Xmas these days but... Who knows.

But presumably you are heading for Lapland...

Probably better to wait until December to see what the local weather is like.

Lots of layers is good but indoors can be stifling hot so don't overdo it. Overheating and dehydration can cause as many problems as frostbite! Probably not a great idea to take the baby outside if its very cold anyway. Baby will be miserable.

Flossy1978

Post by Flossy1978 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:03 pm

Why no cotton? Better for your body and temperature regulating than god awful fleece. Fleece doesn't let your body breathe. That is bad. Especially in winter. You don't want your child sweating out in the cold. Only to then get cold and be wet. Nothing wrong with cotton. If you are talking about clothes under outerwear. Naturally outdoor clothing in cotton would be crap. Not waterproof.

When I visited England, I found average winter outdoor outfits for children to be crap. Not very waterproof etc. Decent stuff will cost you money. It is important it is wind resistant.

You should buy a proper rain outfit. Jacket, pants, gumboots and gloves. Proper waterproof stuff.

leisl

Post by leisl » Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:21 am

I'm assuming they mean no cotton as outer layers. Cotton is totally appropriate for thermals. People are probably pointing out that wool makes a very good second layer. But realistically, it isn't a newborn, just use common sense and dress them in the same number of layers as you dress yourself. A layer of cotton long sleeves & cotton/lycra leggings under ordinary long pants and shirt plus the outer parka suit is perfectly fine. Last December I wore only a t-shirt under my parka (plus stretch leggings under jeans) and you might well discover that the long sleeve thermal top for the baby is unnecessary and that a normal sleeveless vest under their shirt is enough. Bring both, and decide when you get here.

Just make sure the hat covers the ears and their neck is warm. We have these balaclava things here for babies like this, usually made of thin t-shirt material and which go under the outer beanie hat http://cdn.childrensalon.com/media/cata ... 152050.jpg - might be tricky to buy before you arrive but it's not the end of the world if you can't get it beforehand, you can just go for a roll top skivvy / turtleneck and odds are pretty good it'll be around zero degrees so no big deal if they're in a parka and sitting inside a pram.

Rosamunda

Post by Rosamunda » Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:25 am

A quick google produced this: https://heyhelsinkiblog.com/2015/01/12/ ... sh-winter/
A young mum on a steep learning curve but the pictures might be helpful.

Goretex mittens that rise up to the elbows are really useful. http://www.littletrekkers.co.uk/images/ ... IN_mpz.jpg

Rip

Post by Rip » Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:43 am

Flossy1978 wrote: You should buy a proper rain outfit. Jacket, pants, gumboots and gloves. Proper waterproof stuff.

The kid will be ten months old, so she most likely won't walk yet. If the weather is wet then outdoors she best in her prams (with a rain cover or similar. Moderately cold dry or dryish clean snow is OK is to play for a while.

Goretex mentioned earlier is fine as such, but seems also excessive for the age group.

Cotton is find for underwear, sufficient number of layer for temperature (less needed for +5 than -25 C). If in doubt, rather put bit more than less and don't stay out the first time too long and check when you get home (inside the outermost layer things should feel warm but not sweaty)

gls33_1984

Post by gls33_1984 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:02 pm

Thank you everyone, you've been so kind!
My partner read online that you couldn't use cotton thermals because they made you sweat too much! The man has me mentally deranged tbh!
The way i see it is that people have lived in Finland for years and long before Regatta came to be.
We'll layer up and do well!
We're going to the Snow Village to get married in the Ice chapel.

Thank you all so very much! :)

mstrzelecc

Post by mstrzelecc » Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:03 pm

I heard that, in Finland is very cold, so you should take warm cotton clothes.