EU citizen moving to Finland

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
Y77

Re: EU citizen moving to Finland

Post by Y77 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:37 pm

getting a Finnish social security number without job or being married to a Finn is very very very hard, the only option is to prove to be able to support yourself, which is what I did, I went to the police station with a printout of my bank account showing 66k on my German bank account and a week after the registration of the right of residence was in my letter box. Money rules the world.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:51 pm

Y77 wrote:getting a Finnish social security number without job or being married to a Finn is very very very hard, the only option is to prove to be able to support yourself, which is what I did, I went to the police station with a printout of my bank account showing 66k on my German bank account and a week after the registration of the right of residence was in my letter box. Money rules the world.
It is very hard to get a social security number because such a thing does not exist in Finland. You can get a personal identity code (the distinction is important) but you seem to be confusing that with registration of right of residence.

Y77

Post by Y77 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:32 am

betelgeuse wrote:
Y77 wrote:getting a Finnish social security number without job or being married to a Finn is very very very hard, the only option is to prove to be able to support yourself, which is what I did, I went to the police station with a printout of my bank account showing 66k on my German bank account and a week after the registration of the right of residence was in my letter box. Money rules the world.
It is very hard to get a social security number because such a thing does not exist in Finland. You can get a personal identity code (the distinction is important) but you seem to be confusing that with registration of right of residence.
in fact if you read my post carefully, what i got from the police was the registration of the right of residence, with that you go to the maistratti and they give you the SSN or whatever you want to call it,the 2 things are intertwined,let's not split hair please, doesn't make you look cleverer than you are

interleukin

Post by interleukin » Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:52 am

Y77 wrote: in fact if you read my post carefully, what i got from the police was the registration of the right of residence, with that you go to the maistratti and they give you the SSN or whatever you want to call it,the 2 things are intertwined,let's not split hair please, doesn't make you look cleverer than you are
In fact, registering your right of residence and getting the social security is two totally different things. Two different government agencies that make independent decisions. Kela decides if you get social security, not Maistratti. You can have an ID number and not be covered by Kela, so making the distinction between ID number (which only shows that you are "in the computer") and social security, is quite relevant. No reason to spread the sloppy language/info just because the two are often intertwined.

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:16 pm

Yeah, the maistraatti can give you an ID number without the police paper, but the computer will say "temporary". It is got to do what in UK would be "habitual residence", I prefer using the word "domiciled" as it confuses less with resident/permit. So we're not talking of country, but county/city.

It is the same way when you were a student, in olden days you didn't or weren't allowed to "permanently" "change your books" to the city you were studying in, so your "permanent domicile" was home at Nowheremäki at the farm, and you were "temporary domiciled" in Helsinki where you went to uni.

This domicile lark got to do - surprise - with benefits. Like the matkakortti for "locals" and "not locals" price difference. So if you are in as "temporary"... Also effects health care and a few other things, so "getting domiciled" is one of the things you really want to get sorted as it can jump back and bite later on when a "computer says no".

And quite correct, KELA decides on the social security and elegibility, they use the existing ID number so there isn't a separate SSN (actually the ID number was created as a SSN for pensions back in the day, but its usage switched).

Confused? Yeah, it is.
"By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes."

LockHowl

Post by LockHowl » Sat Aug 27, 2016 3:42 pm

----------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by LockHowl on Sun Aug 28, 2016 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rinso

Post by rinso » Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:23 am

So I went to the police station to register my right of residence and I was told literally that it is highly exceptional for EU-citizens to be turned down; they always find a way to get you in.
This I find strange. I can recall many cases where the police simply rejected registration if there was no clear source of income.

LockHowl

Post by LockHowl » Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:14 am

-----------------------------
Last edited by LockHowl on Sun Aug 28, 2016 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Beep_Boop

Post by Beep_Boop » Sun Aug 28, 2016 1:05 pm

LockHowl wrote:Just wanted to let everyone that helped me know that I did it, despite the nay-sayers.
LockHowl wrote:a copy of my girlfriend's rent contract along with a statement from her mother saying that she would help support me in case of necessity.
The nay-sayers (rather, pragmatists) assumed you're an adult who will be supporting himself and living off of his own hard-earned money and effort, which is why they told you that. Actually, you were specifically told that each case is taken individually
betelgeuse wrote:For EU registration, it's illegal to use predefined limits. All cases must be processed individually. If girlfriend is providing accommodation, then less than 12k could suffice.
The "nay-sayers", as you called them, didn't think you'll be leeching your in-laws money to secure residence in Finland. Since you didn't mention that you'd go that route, people gave their suggestions based on the information you provided. People on the internet don't possess crystal balls that give them knowledge on your situation beyond what you describe.

Luckily for your in-laws, though, you won't be needing their money. Now that you're in the system, the rest of us will be paying for your stay, at least until you get your TE-sanctioned paper delivery job.
Every case is unique. You can't measure the result of your application based on arbitrary anecdotes online.

Flossy1978

Post by Flossy1978 » Sun Aug 28, 2016 1:11 pm

Or maybe you got a cop who was in a good mood that day? :lol: :lol: :lol:

LockHowl

Post by LockHowl » Sun Aug 28, 2016 1:29 pm

-----------------------------------------------
Last edited by LockHowl on Sun Aug 28, 2016 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

leisl

Post by leisl » Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:52 pm

LockHowl wrote:My girlfriend's dad put me on a language course for beginners as a birthday present. The course starts next month and it's about 90 euros for 70+ hours of lessons. Twice per week for 2,5 hours per session.
Congratulations, keep that up for 20 years and you'll be close to fluent.
LockHowl wrote:
Beep_Boop wrote:The nay-sayers (rather, pragmatists) assumed you're an adult who will be supporting himself and living off of his own hard-earned money and effort, which is why they told you that. Actually, you were specifically told that each case is taken individually
I am an adult currently living off saved money I took with me to invest in your economy. Also, such a weird thing to live together with your partner. I guess even though my girlfriend has a place here and wants me to live with her I should find my own place, otherwise it's not fair.
And we should be licking your backside while we support you? What the heck did you expect, prancing around telling us how you're better than we are because you managed to get a handout, paid for by us?

It's the height of arrogance to come in here complaining about nay-sayers and bragging about how great you are for having defeated the system. Good job, you're displaying Finland's least-valued ethic, it should serve you very well in job interviews for shovelling snow in winter.
Beep_Boop wrote:Luckily for your in-laws, though, you won't be needing their money. Now that you're in the system, the rest of us will be paying for your stay, at least until you get your TE-sanctioned paper delivery job.
And what's wrong with paper routes? You would rather not receive your mail because no one wants to have that job? I would be glad to take any job opportunity that comes my way while I pick up the Finnish language and move up in the ranks later. But I guess 'leeching' foreigners don't deserve a shot at living in your holy country.
Nobody said the mail. We said papers. Newspapers, leaflets maybe. And TE-sanctioned... that means no pay, it'll be "work practice" which you'll be forced to do or lose your benefits. Native Finnish speakers with degrees can't get work right now, did you think you can opt to do whatever work suits you? The Post service is cutting jobs and losing millions of euros, why would they want to hire anyone, let alone you?

Rip

Post by Rip » Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:07 pm

leisl wrote:What the heck did you expect, prancing around telling us how you're better than we are because you managed to get a handout, paid for by us?
If I remember (he deleted his post) so far it was just the registration, and he is still working with KELA etc. I guess one can always hope that the continuation of the registration will be less easy if he fails to get job and the sin-in-laws will not honour their commitment? (although I am not too hopeful)

Beep_Boop

Post by Beep_Boop » Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:11 pm

Rip wrote:If I remember (he deleted his post) so far it was just the registration, and he is still working with KELA etc. I guess one can always hope that the continuation of the registration will be less easy if he fails to get job and the sin-in-laws will not honour their commitment? (although I am not too hopeful)
Since I know a large number of EU citizens who came here based on "family ties" (similar to this dude's case), I can assure you it's gonna be as easy as he described with his previous steps.
Once you get in the computer and it says you're not here for studies, you're good to go. After that, it's all a matter of a few weeks until you get a positive Kela decision.

Honestly, I was on board with this guy at first. I mean, hey, he's coming for love, and who of us wouldn't. He annoyed me when he accused people advising him based on information he provided to be "nay-sayers", just because they tried to open his eyes to reality. I was with him up until he dismissed people's advice like that.
I mean, really, nobody here expected his in-laws to vow to pay for his livelihood.
Every case is unique. You can't measure the result of your application based on arbitrary anecdotes online.