Another question about US/Finland Taxes and Kela Income

Where to buy? Where can I find? How do I? Getting started.
nanghelo

Post by nanghelo » Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:00 pm

Hi! We're trying to figure out our U.S. taxes and I thought I'd see if anybody has insights about how to report Kela benefits. I've seen this post viewtopic.php?f=3&t=38563, which is helpful and both encouraging and discouraging (depending on whether I take a micro or macro perspective on the issues), but since it deals with integration assistance, I wanted to ask if anybody has experience with reporting other kinds of benefits -- some taxable, some not. (We had a baby last year and so had a lot of parental leave pay, in addition to housing assistance and some other benefits, including our children's monthly allowances.)

Of course it all adds up to well under $86,000, so I guess we shouldn't be liable if these benefits really can be listed as earned income. And I'm pretty sure we paid a higher tax rate than we would have in the US, so if we took the tax credit, we shouldn't owe anything in the end, either. But we're not sure what route to take, or, in the latter case, which taxes paid in Finland count towards the foreign tax credit and how to separate them.

Any recommendations would be much appreciated!

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic