Cancelling your right to Finnish Social security

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
inkku
Posts: 603
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:26 pm

Re: Cancelling your right to Finnish Social security

Post by inkku » Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:34 pm

myray wrote:
inkku wrote:I am a native Finn, and I have been dropped twice from the system. For them, if it looks you are not living PERMANENTLY in Finland, then you are out. If your friend goes all the time outside of Finland and spends very little time in the country, for sure it is seen that he is not living permanently in Finland. If there is a valid excuse to be outside of Finland (for instance working with the foreign service), then one needs to fill in an application form and to give the facts to stay covered by the system.
Dropped twice from the system? What happens if one is dropped from the system?and you were dropped twice?how and why,could you please share your experience.my friend has been holidaying abroad two to three times a year. Sometimes for a month ,sometimes for a week or two.
You apply to be reincluded, and give reasons why (liaisons to Finland, permanent move back to Finland etc). The rules apply to everybody, not just foreigners. Moving permanently to Finland requires a stay of several months in Finland, not just few weeks and Kela membership and social benefits entail more than just occasional visits to Finland.

Sorry to say, but your friend's case does not sound plausible, I strongly doubt Kela would drop somebody just for staying one month abroad. There must be more than what you tell us.



Re: Cancelling your right to Finnish Social security

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic
 

inkku
Posts: 603
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:26 pm

Re: Cancelling your right to Finnish Social security

Post by inkku » Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:05 pm

You seem to have a fixation that everybody has some kind of constitutional right to become a member in Kela system. There are certain rules, and those should be followed. Kela has the right to make decisions which then can be challenged if you have good justifications. Kela is not directly linked to paying taxes or working in Finland. The rules are different for taxation and Kela but often they go together.

The facts you are giving regarding your friend are all the time contradicting so seems there is something fishy going on.


Flossy1978
Posts: 1386
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2007 3:38 pm

Re: Cancelling your right to Finnish Social security

Post by Flossy1978 » Sun Aug 28, 2016 1:19 pm

I was not being emotional :lol: I was being factual. It is simply a case of do what KELA wants if your friend wants money. It might not seem fair for your friend, but it is what it is.

Also, how you lose a job affects when/how you are paid too. It might not affect your friend in this case, but it is also a fact.

You should keep us up to date with what happens. So we can all learn from this situation.


bm50
AKA cockney
Posts: 488
Joined: Sun May 27, 2007 12:24 pm
Location: Helsinki

Re: Cancelling your right to Finnish Social security

Post by bm50 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:51 pm

y myray » Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:02 am

Hello,
Does anyone have any idea of cases where someone has lived abroad for a year and the person returns to Finland to claim benefits from kela? Is the person still covered by Finnish social security after living abroad for a year?My cousin moved abroad to a non EU for a year and has returned to Finland.he made a change of address.He is on a four year A permit.Now kela is telling him to bring all his flight tickets and more information regarding his stay abroad.What for? If he has worked or while living abroad,If not he won't be covered by the Finnish social security.Please kindly share your experiences if you've gone through this before and suggestions are highly welcomed.Thank you for your time

Br
Myray


Very strange! Friend or cousin? Or him? 1 year!


myray
Posts: 49
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:44 pm

Re: Cancelling your right to Finnish Social security

Post by myray » Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:19 pm

inkku wrote:
myray wrote:
inkku wrote:I am a native Finn, and I have been dropped twice from the system. For them, if it looks you are not living PERMANENTLY in Finland, then you are out. If your friend goes all the time outside of Finland and spends very little time in the country, for sure it is seen that he is not living permanently in Finland. If there is a valid excuse to be outside of Finland (for instance working with the foreign service), then one needs to fill in an application form and to give the facts to stay covered by the system.
Dropped twice from the system? What happens if one is dropped from the system?and you were dropped twice?how and why,could you please share your experience.my friend has been holidaying abroad two to three times a year. Sometimes for a month ,sometimes for a week or two.
You apply to be reincluded, and give reasons why (liaisons to Finland, permanent move back to Finland etc). The rules apply to everybody, not just foreigners. Moving permanently to Finland requires a stay of several months in Finland, not just few weeks and Kela membership and social benefits entail more than just occasional visits to Finland.

Sorry to say, but your friend's case does not sound plausible, I strongly doubt Kela would drop somebody just for staying one month abroad. There must be more than what you tell us.

Hmmm Inkku,thanks for your contributions...so when you came back to Finland ,kela interrogated you and asked why you came back to Finland ? It seems kela is also a consulate issuing visas.I doubt if it applies to everybody.I doubt if they could ask such questions to native Finns . As a citizen it's your right to come to Finland and live so long as you wish.To the best of my knowledge ,native Finns and foreigners are not treated equally.Thats why you don't find foreigners in most government offices like kela.


myray
Posts: 49
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:44 pm

Re: Cancelling your right to Finnish Social security

Post by myray » Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:31 pm

Flossy1978 wrote:I was not being emotional :lol: I was being factual. It is simply a case of do what KELA wants if your friend wants money. It might not seem fair for your friend, but it is what it is.

Also, how you lose a job affects when/how you are paid too. It might not affect your friend in this case, but it is also a fact.

You should keep us up to date with what happens. So we can all learn from this situation.

Ha ha ha ha you're right,we all learn everyday,I wish he was a member of a union.these are things some people neglect.they're are still asking for more infos about why he came back to Finland and what ties he's got in Finland lol.as if he's applying for a visa or resident permit :D . Or may be its because he's not Finn.he is searching for a job and I hope he finds one and forget about them.if you're working,you don't really need kela at all and the meagre sum :lol: :lol:


SAHM
Posts: 25
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:12 pm

Re: Cancelling your right to Finnish Social security

Post by SAHM » Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:30 pm

You need KELA even if you have a job. Otherwise you will have to pay thousands of euros for medicines, surgeries etc. just like those Americans who doesn't have a private insurance. Because of Finnish social security, our medical treatments are affordable compared to US.

If you are staying abroad more than 6 months a year, you are asked to explain where were you and why. This goes for everyone, including Finns.

I know a person who lost his residence permit for staying more than year abroad. And this happened even though his kids lives in Finland.

If you are a Finn, moving back to Finland after years abroad, all you have to do is call KELA and you are back in system. Otherwise you need to fill an application and wait and see. Not everyone get in to finnish social security system. If you are foreigner, you need to have a job or someone who will provide for you. When I moved to France, I waited for months to find out if they accept me. But I was lucky because some people are waiting more than a year. And notice that I am a Finn, and EU citizen.


myray
Posts: 49
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:44 pm

Re: Cancelling your right to Finnish Social security

Post by myray » Sat Sep 10, 2016 1:34 am

SAHM wrote:You need KELA even if you have a job. Otherwise you will have to pay thousands of euros for medicines, surgeries etc. just like those Americans who doesn't have a private insurance. Because of Finnish social security, our medical treatments are affordable compared to US.

If you are staying abroad more than 6 months a year, you are asked to explain where were you and why. This goes for everyone, including Finns.

I know a person who lost his residence permit for staying more than year abroad. And this happened even though his kids lives in Finland.

If you are a Finn, moving back to Finland after years abroad, all you have to do is call KELA and you are back in system. Otherwise you need to fill an application and wait and see. Not everyone get in to finnish social security system. If you are foreigner, you need to have a job or someone who will provide for you. When I moved to France, I waited for months to find out if they accept me. But I was lucky because some people are waiting more than a year. And notice that I am a Finn, and EU citizen.

Wow...thank you for your time Sahm, And if I understand you correctly,it's an obligation to inform kela why you went abroad? why you're returning to Finland although you haves finnish resident permit? What ties you have in Finland ? So even native Finns are asked such questions? I doubt..... Hmmmm...so while living in Finland one shouldn't stay abroad longer ? I knew things would be diiferent for native Finns :lol: It's better to be a Finn in this case...converted Finn lol!


SAHM
Posts: 25
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:12 pm

Re: Cancelling your right to Finnish Social security

Post by SAHM » Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:25 am

Wow...thank you for your time Sahm, And if I understand you correctly,it's an obligation to inform kela why you went abroad? why you're returning to Finland although you haves finnish resident permit? What ties you have in Finland ? So even native Finns are asked such questions? I doubt..... Hmmmm...so while living in Finland one shouldn't stay abroad longer ? I knew things would be diiferent for native Finns :lol: It's better to be a Finn in this case...converted Finn lol![/quote]


Even Finns who are staying months abroad has to report to KELA if they want to stay in the system. If you read what Finns are writing in Spain forums (this is where many are spending the "cold" months), they are discussing a lot about this. But I am sure that if you work in a big company, and you travel for work, they will take care of this. When I moved to France, I had to explain to tax office and KELA that I am going to move permanently. In the same form there would have been opportunity for me to explain how long I would stay abroad and why, and based on what people write, KELA decides if this person is kicked out of Finnish social security or if he has a right to stay in it. And I too remember writing about my family ties even though I made it clear that I am out. And since we are planning to move back to Finland this year, I checked the form we are asked to fill unless we want to call KELA and it's the same foreigners fill.

For Finns rules are that you can stay abroad one year max. and still have Finnish social security but if you are constantly abroad more than six months, you are out. And they will know! There are exeptions like travelling for work but in those cases you need to give written explanation for KELA.


Post Reply