Symbolic wedding

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
alyen

Symbolic wedding

Post by alyen » Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:21 pm

Hello!

I have a question about having a symbolic wedding in Finland.

I am not a resident of Finland, I am currently visiting 1 month at a time, several times a year because I am engaged to a Finn (who lives with me in the other side of the world) and we are very close to his family.
We are getting married in my home country next summer and have no intention to move to Finland any time soon since we both love our jobs and life here, but would love to have a symbolic wedding to celebrate our union with his family.

To those who don't know what I'm talking about, a symbolic wedding is a ceremony to represent the union but it's not legally binding.

I tried looking online but because Finland is not a touristic destination, I had no luck. I would very much appreciate any help in finding services and venues for a symbolic wedding.

Thank you!!

Symbolic wedding

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Rip

Re: Symbolic wedding

Post by Rip » Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:35 pm

The Lutherian church (at least) does "blessing ceremonies" ("avioliiton siunaaminen"), which closely follow the local marriage ceremony, but are done to couples that are already married (and have lo legal significance), if that is what you're looking for. Party afterwards is a matter of getting location/catering and what ever program you wish.

alyen

Re: Symbolic wedding

Post by alyen » Tue Sep 13, 2016 3:40 pm

Thanks!! I'll check those options. You've helped a lot!