do I have/can I get the dual nationality or not?

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
starlight90

Post by starlight90 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:52 am

Dear all,
I am a woman of 26 years old, and I was born in France from a french father and a finnish mother. I have the french nationality since I am born. Although I do not speak finnish I have a great love for Finland as the country of my mother and I have travelled there several times for holidays since I was a child. This feelings grows also stronger with age.
This is why, surprisingly, a question occurred in my mind only now.
Have I ever got the dual french finnish nationality?
My parents were married at the time of my birth in France, they even got married in Finland. My mother came to live in France, where she is still by now, although my parents are divorced. However I know my mother still owns a finnish passport and goes sometimes to the embassy for extending her right to stay in France.
Can I claim a dual nationality?
It is a curious question but I realize this is part of me, I feel like I belong somewhere up there.. and should be able to answer this.
Thanks a lot for any hint to the situation, if you have lived similar things or know something about it.
Best

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

betelgeuse

Re: do I have/can I get the dual nationality or not?

Post by betelgeuse » Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:28 am

starlight90 wrote: I am a woman of 26 years old, and I was born in France from a french father and a finnish mother. I have the french nationality since I am born. Although I do not speak finnish I have a great love for Finland as the country of my mother and I have travelled there several times for holidays since I was a child. This feelings grows also stronger with age.
This is why, surprisingly, a question occurred in my mind only now.
Have I ever got the dual french finnish nationality?
Finland did not allow dual citizenship before 2003 so you have not.
starlight90 wrote: My parents were married at the time of my birth in France, they even got married in Finland. My mother came to live in France, where she is still by now, although my parents are divorced. However I know my mother still owns a finnish passport and goes sometimes to the embassy for extending her right to stay in France.
Can I claim a dual nationality?
You can't. The only way to Finnish citizenship for you is to naturalize.

http://www.migri.fi/finnish_citizenship ... quirements

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:31 am

starlight90 wrote:a finnish passport and goes sometimes to the embassy for extending her right to stay in France.
On a side note this can't be what she is doing in the embassy (I assume the Finnish embassy). I assume she goes there to renew her passport but that is not connected to her right to stay in France. As an EU citizen with more than 5 years of residence, she has the right of permanent residence.

"You can then apply for a permanent residence document, which confirms your rights to live in the country where you now live permanently, without any conditions."

http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/re ... dex_en.htm

Rip

Post by Rip » Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:20 am

betelgeuse wrote: Finland did not allow dual citizenship before 2003 so you have not.
You could not actively acquire more than one of them. Still somebody born around 1990 from Finnish mother would have been considered a Finnish citizen at the time of her birth.
http://www.finlex.fi/fi/laki/ajantasa/k ... 8.1984-584

OP would have lost the Finnish citizenship at some point, either because of age or some other reason (I vaguely recall that under the old law acquiring passport of another country could have been considered such and active act that you would have disqualified for Finnish nationality). The details here do not really matter. The procedure for acquiring a Finnish citizen when you're a former citizen is the same in any case:
http://www.migri.fi/finnish_citizenship ... sh_citizen

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:32 am

Rip wrote:
betelgeuse wrote: Finland did not allow dual citizenship before 2003 so you have not.
You could not actively acquire more than one of them. Still somebody born around 1990 from Finnish mother would have been considered a Finnish citizen at the time of her birth.
http://www.finlex.fi/fi/laki/ajantasa/k ... 8.1984-584
I stand corrected. Thanks.

Rosamunda

Post by Rosamunda » Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:09 pm

I think my kids (born in France in the 90s to UK mother and Finnish father) held both UK and Finnish passports before 2003. They were given their Finnish citizenship when we arrived in Finland. While we were in France the Finnish embassy would not acknowledge their citizenship because we were not married. Or something like that (we did get married before we moved here).

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:00 pm

The easiest thing is you fill and send the form KAN_9 "determination of citizenship status" that costs 34 euros to process, it will take some time, but ifyour mother has kept the embassy/finnish system "informed" it shouldn't be that difficult.

http://www.migri.fi/finnish_citizenship ... itizenship
"By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes."