Finland and LGBT Tourism

Find information on places to go, things to see, eating out, Finnish food, recipes and more
n8ive_siren

Finland and LGBT Tourism

Post by n8ive_siren » Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:16 am

Ya'at'eeh Nahoditsʼǫʼłání Bikeyah (Hello Finland),
I am a Native American transsexual and my boyfriend of almost 4 years wants to visit Finland for vacation. He is part Scandinavian and loves Finland though he hasn't been there. He makes it seem like this amazing place to go and I do want to. I am especially intrigued with the indigenous Sami people and the Northern lights. I really do want to visiti Finland but being trans, I am very wary of international travel to places I'm not familiar with, especially the treatment of LGBT individuals. So my question is: how do Finnish people view and treat transgender individuals? What are the legalities of being trans? Is it a bad thing? Will I face harassment? Is being trans even welcomed in Finland? A Finnish-American friend of mines referred me to this site to ask so here I am. :D
Ahe'hee' (Thank you)

Finland and LGBT Tourism

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

rinso

Re: Finland and LGBT Tourism

Post by rinso » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:26 am

n8ive_siren wrote:Ya'at'eeh Nahoditsʼǫʼłání Bikeyah (Hello Finland),
I am a Native American transsexual and my boyfriend of almost 4 years wants to visit Finland for vacation. He is part Scandinavian and loves Finland though he hasn't been there. He makes it seem like this amazing place to go and I do want to. I am especially intrigued with the indigenous Sami people and the Northern lights. I really do want to visiti Finland but being trans, I am very wary of international travel to places I'm not familiar with, especially the treatment of LGBT individuals. So my question is: how do Finnish people view and treat transgender individuals? What are the legalities of being trans? Is it a bad thing? Will I face harassment? Is being trans even welcomed in Finland? A Finnish-American friend of mines referred me to this site to ask so here I am. :D
Ahe'hee' (Thank you)
No need to worry. You probably get some weird stares, but then again, Finns stare at everybody :D .
Just keep the public display down and you'll be fine.

leisl

Post by leisl » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:31 am

Finland: the place where if you don't run about yelling "Look at me!" then nobody will even look at you.

That's not a transgender thing, either. It's an anyone thing. Finns mind their own business when it comes to other people and in general are remarkably tolerant. Nor is there anything illegal about being whatever gender suits you.

Sure, every country has its few intolerant idiots but our penchant for keeping mouth firmly closed means you're unlikely to have anyone say a word.

*YMMV; I haven't a clue how well you pass or how flamboyant or loud you are. Quiet people are the norm here. If you attract attention for one of those reasons? They might look, but probably still not say anything.

Post by 007 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:08 am

leisl wrote:Finland: the place where if you don't run about yelling "Look at me!" then nobody will even look at you.
Yes and no. Finns don't seem to care your presence be it at shops or streets most of the time; however, I have been looked at and also stared at a lot. I esp. don't like the staring. The @#$% stares that have their heads even slightly turning as we walk pass by..... :x this often happens when I jog or use park gym.

On the other hand, this cannot be that bad I suppose as it's mostly from ladies and young women...but often from not-so-attractive ones. :roll: And, it won't surprise me if others have similar experiences.

To OP, I think if you are not bothered by the random stares, no need to feel insecure or unsafe here. :thumbsup:
Last edited by 007 on Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Go where you are celebrated – not tolerated."
"Aina, kun opit uuden sanan, opettele samalla sen monikko!"

n8ive_siren

Post by n8ive_siren » Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:03 am

Thank you for all the answers. To answer some questions, I wouldn't say that I'm flamboyant. I'm expressive but not flaming. I am considered "blendable" rather than "passable" from my peers. So not too crazy feminine looking where I look unnaturally "woman" but just enough to get by (even using the women's restroom, no one looks). Also how will Finns especially the police react if I use the women's bathroom? I use it all the time here in the States even though they installed gender neutral ones. Will I go to jail for it? If I do, I'd rather just fly to North Carolina to experience that lol. I guess I'm really worried about the legalities of being trans. Like what will happen if something goes on and police are involve and it is revealed that I'm trans. Being in a place that has little regard for my wellbeing scares the crap out of me. That's why I'm hesitating about going to Finland.

Beep_Boop

Post by Beep_Boop » Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:27 am

If you stand out, people will stare. Not a Finnish thing, but a human thing.
Other than that, nobody really cares. No legal issues. You're overcomplicating this.
Every case is unique. You can't measure the result of your application based on arbitrary anecdotes online.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:41 pm

n8ive_siren wrote:If I do, I'd rather just fly to North Carolina to experience that lol. I guess I'm really worried about the legalities of being trans. Like what will happen if something goes on and police are involve and it is revealed that I'm trans. Being in a place that has little regard for my wellbeing scares the crap out of me. That's why I'm hesitating about going to Finland.
You will probably find that the Finnish police has much more regard for your wellbeing than their counterparts in the states. Check this Youtube link to an episode of the series The Norden to get an idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbM9uCxEJDM

The description has links to other episodes (the Gender one might interest you, I haven't watched it personally).

leisl

Post by leisl » Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:48 pm

n8ive_siren wrote:Also how will Finns especially the police react if I use the women's bathroom? I use it all the time here in the States even though they installed gender neutral ones. Will I go to jail for it? I guess I'm really worried about the legalities of being trans. Like what will happen if something goes on and police are involve and it is revealed that I'm trans. Being in a place that has little regard for my wellbeing scares the crap out of me. That's why I'm hesitating about going to Finland.
leisl wrote:Nor is there anything illegal about being whatever gender suits you.
Finland is a "leave people alone" society. Literally. You will probably be struck by just how literal that is when nobody talks to you, ever, unless you force them into conversation.

No such thing as a random person remarking on the nice weather while on the bus. It just never happens unless the person is very strange, or foreign.

wolf80

Post by wolf80 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:49 pm

I would also say, if you want to blend in it is not a matter of being transgender. Just be less 'American' and accept how local people behave and adjust accordingly. Don't talk too loud on the streets, in restaurants and especially on public transport. Don't talk to people you don't know unless you have a very specific question or need help. Don't be too outgoing, tone it down a notch. You will see that nobody will be much interested in you. If you mind your own business so will they.

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:22 pm

Finns just stare. Its something they notice, and are either curious or then giving a death-state you broke "the rules", if its old ladies. In the cities nobody generally gives a damn. They'll stare at you firstly being American (as you will dress funny), secondly for them exotic looks being Native (unless you're an okie from muskogee and 'pass as white'), anything else to stare for is a cherry on top. You'll be abused way less for being a two-spirit than being from "The Idiocracy" and you'll need to be more needing to explain why police shoot black people and about Trump and his gringo wall, rather than which toilet you use.
"By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes."

leisl

Post by leisl » Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:02 am

Pursuivant wrote:and you'll need to be more needing to explain why police shoot black people and about Trump and his gringo wall, rather than which toilet you use.
Oh yes... and mind you, this only counts for people who you've intentionally engaged in conversation. Others, staring or otherwise, will not spontaneously begin a nice chat about America.

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:34 pm

Or - after hearing your accent (because you're speaking loudly), some extrovert (drunk) will spontaneously start a chat, anout America, but not necessarily nice...
"By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes."