work permit or family permit?

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
bibimbap

Post by bibimbap » Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:40 am

I came to Finland for my master on the student permit in 2014 Aug, I managed to find a permanent job and received a 1 year work permit (A) in June 2016. My previous permit should have expired in August 2016, but somehow they moved the starting date of my current permit to June 2016. So I have to renew my current permit before end of June 2017, but I don't know whether I should renew my permit as an extended work permit, or should I apply for a family permit, because I'm thinking about switching jobs or fields. But the problem is, I will only have lived with my Finnish partner for 2 years on 1st July 2017, and I have heard that the 2 years rule has to be fulfilled by the time of application, I'm wondering if a few days short really matters? What's the smart move here so my application won't get rejected? Thanks!

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

betelgeuse

Re: work permit or family permit?

Post by betelgeuse » Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:58 pm

bibimbap wrote:I came to Finland for my master on the student permit in 2014 Aug, I managed to find a permanent job and received a 1 year work permit (A) in June 2016. My previous permit should have expired in August 2016, but somehow they moved the starting date of my current permit to June 2016.
The starting day is from the date of approval so makes sense. They could not have investigated whether you satisfy the conditions in the future.
bibimbap wrote: So I have to renew my current permit before end of June 2017, but I don't know whether I should renew my permit as an extended work permit, or should I apply for a family permit, because I'm thinking about switching jobs or fields.
The family permit has better terms (no field restriction) so it would be preferable.
bibimbap wrote: But the problem is, I will only have lived with my Finnish partner for 2 years on 1st July 2017, and I have heard that the 2 years rule has to be fulfilled by the time of application, I'm wondering if a few days short really matters? What's the smart move here so my application won't get rejected? Thanks!
I have not seen a rule about time of application written down anywhere so I doubt it would hold on appeal. If you go down the route, you will at least want to apply at the very end so it's likely that a decision will not be made before 1st of July. I don't have time know to look too closely to administrative law on what the legislation / court practise says. If you don't mind paying the extra fee for two applications, you can always lodge in an application based on your work and then convert to a family permit later.