Cost of living in Helsinki

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
tejashm

Post by tejashm » Sat Oct 15, 2016 1:21 pm

Hello everyone,

I have been offered a job in Helsinki but I am not sure how much salary should I ask for. I would like to know the minimum cost to live there so I can decide on how much salary should I ask for.

Please help me out. Thanks!

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Beep_Boop

Re: Cost of living in Helsinki

Post by Beep_Boop » Sat Oct 15, 2016 3:34 pm

3000 euros.
Every case is unique. You can't measure the result of your application based on arbitrary anecdotes online.

Flossy1978

Post by Flossy1978 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:30 am

Would it not be better to tell us what your job title is? So people can give you a rough idea of what salary you should ask for? Otherwise you could end up short ending yourself.

wolf80

Post by wolf80 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 2:04 am

tejashm wrote:Hello everyone,

I have been offered a job in Helsinki but I am not sure how much salary should I ask for. I would like to know the minimum cost to live there so I can decide on how much salary should I ask for.

Please help me out. Thanks!
That's impossible to say as we don't know which standard of living you are looking for. You aren't even giving your home country, so hard to compare it. But living in Helsinki is rather expensive.

Flossy1978 wrote:Would it not be better to tell us what your job title is? So people can give you a rough idea of what salary you should ask for? Otherwise you could end up short ending yourself.
That's the right question!

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Sun Oct 16, 2016 6:05 pm

tejashm wrote: I have been offered a job in Helsinki but I am not sure how much salary should I ask for. I would like to know the minimum cost to live there so I can decide on how much salary should I ask for.
The public sector considers the minimum for a single person to be around 1200 € after tax. This is how much is given as income support to guarantee minimum acceptable standard of life.

leisl

Post by leisl » Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:02 am

About 8 or 9 euros per hour would be the lowest job offer I have seen. Something around 1350 euro per month before tax, and if you accept less than this what on earth is your job... food taster perhaps or forum poster.

tejashm

Post by tejashm » Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:19 pm

I am from India and I work as a Game Tester at Ubisoft. I might get an offer at the Redlynx - Ubisoft office in Helsinki. I have an experience of 3 years at the same company, so how much should I ask for? Please note that I am planning to live a decent life and also try to save some money to send something back home to my family as well. But I dont want to ask for a high salary as I might lose the opportunity. It should be a reasonable salary.

Beep_Boop

Post by Beep_Boop » Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:44 pm

3500 euros.
Every case is unique. You can't measure the result of your application based on arbitrary anecdotes online.

bd_tkk

Post by bd_tkk » Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:50 pm

Like Beep_Boop said, I also think 3000-3500 €/month salary range can be a good negotiation. You will probably get around 2300 € in hand after tax.

Living cost can vary.However, as you want to save and send money to your family, then I would say you can try the followings.

Housing: a single room in a shared apartment would cost you at least 350-500 €/month. It could be difficult to find such a room in Helsinki. However, you might find someone from India who would share his room with you. In that case, the rent will be much less.

http://asuntohelppi.fi/ilmoitukset/vuok ... index.html

http://www.tori.fi/uusimaa/asunnot?ca=1 ... =118&m=313

https://www.facebook.com/groups/accommodationinfinland/

Food: 100 € is fine if you cook yourself and take lunch box with you.

Transportation: 50 €

Others/entertainment: 50-100 € depending on what you like.