UK National moving to Finland. Finnish wife. Process?

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
betelgeuse

Re: UK National moving to Finland. Finnish wife. Process?

Post by betelgeuse » Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:47 pm

Piet wrote: As I recall from my own situation, as soon as you register with the police (as a resident of Finland so you are no longer a tourist) you are not allowed to drive a car with a foreign license plate any more.
Vehicle tax is tied to intent to take / taking permanent residence. Aliens Act requires registration for stays longer than three months. Since it's possible to drive a vehicle as a tourist car for six months, it's possible to be registered with the police and not import a car.
Pursuivant wrote:Thats what I was saying. The moment you have an ID number, you can't legally drive that bike any more.
Bogus. You can have an ID number without ever taking up residence.
Piet wrote: you will have to choose a Finnish insurance (I recommend IF) .
It's worth looking at pop.

https://www.popvakuutus.fi
Piet wrote: This was for my car, for my motor bike, I just waited with officially importing it when the driving season started again. for the motorbike, the insurance does not need to be the whole year, you can have a special insurance something called a seisontavakuutus, the company IF offers this too (not many do) this is cheaper if you drive your bike less than 5 or 6 months, the insurance company can tell you all about it.
seisontavakuutus is not a special type of insurance. With any normal insurance you can take a car "off the road" and for this period you do not have to pay vehicle tax or insurance. These days it's pretty easy to do since you can do it online (through trafi or insurance company). The processing fee is quite low so it often pays off to do.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:06 pm

Pursuivant wrote:
Thats what I was saying. The moment you have an ID number, you can't legally drive that bike any more.

*sigh* yes I know. I even got a Finnish passport - I could come ride his bike as much as I pleased, as I am an UK resident.
Once he signs up to be a Finnish resident, he can't, as a Finnish resident can't (generally) drive a foreign-registered vehichle.

You just don't want to be explaining once you get nicked by the Customs on one of their raids.
"By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes."

Pariah

Post by Pariah » Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:00 pm

betelgeuse wrote:
Piet wrote: As I recall from my own situation, as soon as you register with the police (as a resident of Finland so you are no longer a tourist) you are not allowed to drive a car with a foreign license plate any more.
Vehicle tax is tied to intent to take / taking permanent residence. Aliens Act requires registration for stays longer than three months. Since it's possible to drive a vehicle as a tourist car for six months, it's possible to be registered with the police and not import a car.
Pursuivant wrote:Thats what I was saying. The moment you have an ID number, you can't legally drive that bike any more.
Piet wrote: you will have to choose a Finnish insurance (I recommend IF) .
It's worth looking at pop.

https://www.popvakuutus.fi
Piet wrote: This was for my car, for my motor bike, I just waited with officially importing it when the driving season started again. for the motorbike, the insurance does not need to be the whole year, you can have a special insurance something called a seisontavakuutus, the company IF offers this too (not many do) this is cheaper if you drive your bike less than 5 or 6 months, the insurance company can tell you all about it.
seisontavakuutus is not a special type of insurance. With any normal insurance you can take a car "off the road" and for this period you do not have to pay vehicle tax or insurance. These days it's pretty easy to do since you can do it online (through trafi or insurance company). The processing fee is quite low so it often pays off to do.

Thanks, this was my understanding too. I registered with Police as I am staying more than three months as EU Tourist. I have been given a personal identity code. I talked to Tulli and they were OK with me having the bike here for six months. I will not be riding it anyway now until spring (when I will ride back to the UK) as it doesn't come with skis :D

My UK Insurance covers me whilst I am overseas for 90 days. I am asking them to extend this.

Many thanks for all your assistance.

I have one last question. WHERE can I get a MOTORCYCLE COVER (plastic rain cover) in Helsinki? There is a bike shop out in Vantaa but before I get three buses out there I thought I would ask here.

Upphew

Post by Upphew » Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:22 am

Pariah wrote:I have one last question. WHERE can I get a MOTORCYCLE COVER (plastic rain cover) in Helsinki? There is a bike shop out in Vantaa but before I get three buses out there I thought I would ask here.
Motonet.fi moottoripyörän suojapeite
biltema.fi moottroipyörän kokopeite
clasohlson.com moottoripyörä-/mopopeite
Last one is probably easiest to reach for you, but they seem to have stock in yellow, dunno if that means out of stock or that they have couple stashed somewhere.
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.

Pariah

Post by Pariah » Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:19 am

Thanks Upphew, never thought to try Clas Ohlsen. I looked in K Rauta but was set for a bus ride out today.

Winter has come.