Not registering after 3 months

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
dura7s

Post by dura7s » Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:44 am

Hello,

I am an EU resident (UK) and have been in Finland over 90 days with out registering "right of residence", yes I know this is required now but did not at the time. I have been in and out of Finland a lot over the last 4 years (girlfriend) how ever now I have a work contract for a Finnish company and need to apply for a ID number / social security number so I can open a bank account to receive wages and pay tax etc.

The forms ask what date I moved to Finland, but my last flight into Finland was in June and I have also been to Tallinn and back by ferry in September. Would this count as a moving date or is this going to cause problems when I go to the office to apply for the Social Security number? When ever I have travelled into or out of Finland they never say anything at passport control about the amount of time I have been here so assumed there was no problem. To be honest they barely seem to look at my passport at all at the airport.

Thanks for any information.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Pursuivant

Re: Not registering after 3 months

Post by Pursuivant » Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:58 pm

It is like when you apply for leave to remain in the UK - the date you entered "with intent" to stay. Previous attempts don't count. Unless then you rethink wanting to get nationality.
"By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes."

dura7s

Post by dura7s » Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:17 pm

Pursuivant wrote:It is like when you apply for leave to remain in the UK - the date you entered "with intent" to stay. Previous attempts don't count. Unless then you rethink wanting to get nationality.
I'm sorry I dont quite follow what you mean by " apply for leave to remain in the UK" ?

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:54 pm

What the limeys call a RP
"By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes."

Rip

Post by Rip » Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:40 pm

I'd assume the non-registered staying would not qualify for citizenship application anyway. Then simplest to put the last Estonia trip date there?

leisl

Post by leisl » Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:56 pm

Rip wrote:I'd assume the non-registered staying would not qualify for citizenship application anyway. Then simplest to put the last Estonia trip date there?
The police even tell people to go take a Tallinn trip to reset that three months if they're not registered. Nobody's checking.

Essentially nobody gives a stuff that you're been here unregistered. EU law allows you to be here. Yes you sort of break Finnish law when you don't register, but as long as you don't hold up a convenience store (etc) in practice it's no big deal and the police won't care.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Tue Nov 01, 2016 3:02 pm

Rip wrote:I'd assume the non-registered staying would not qualify for citizenship application anyway. Then simplest to put the last Estonia trip date there?
The only category in the Nationality Act that seems to apply to EU migrants is the date of entering the country.

http://www.finlex.fi/fi/laki/ajantasa/2 ... 0359#L3P14

dura7s

Post by dura7s » Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:58 am

OK, I kinda thought that anyway. So if i turn up to register for social security number and tax number they will ask me to register for 'right of residence first', and if so does that cost anything?

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:08 pm

dura7s wrote:OK, I kinda thought that anyway. So if i turn up to register for social security number and tax number they will ask me to register for 'right of residence first', and if so does that cost anything?
There's no social security number in the Finland (since the 70s). It's called personal identity code and the distinction is important. You can get a tax number and personal identify code from vero without registering if you are, for example, working shorter time than 3 months.