Self Emplyed and Taxes

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
bolcas

Self Emplyed and Taxes

Post by bolcas » Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:09 am

Hello.

Next year I will spend most of the time in Finland with my fiance. I'm a Spanish citizen, and Spain is my country of residence, so every two months i will return home to visit familly (although I will spend more than 6 months total in 2017 in Finland, I will never be there more than 2 consecutive months).

I'm also self employed, with all my incomes coming from outside of Europe (Canada and USA only).

My question is this: in my situation do I need to pay taxes in Finland? Or do I keep paying taxes in Spain, which is my country of residence?

Thank you

Self Emplyed and Taxes

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

betelgeuse

Re: Self Emplyed and Taxes

Post by betelgeuse » Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:16 am

bolcas wrote: I'm also self employed, with all my incomes coming from outside of Europe (Canada and USA only).

My question is this: in my situation do I need to pay taxes in Finland? Or do I keep paying taxes in Spain, which is my country of residence?
Finland does consider you tax resident since you spend more than half the time here. If Spain also considers you tax resident, then general liability is done using the tax treaty tie breaker rules. The first tie breaker rule is having a residence available. Presumably this would be where you live with your fiancé since I assume you will stay with family in Spain. However, it's impossible to conclusive answer your question based on the information available.

bolcas

Re: Self Emplyed and Taxes

Post by bolcas » Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:42 pm

betelgeuse wrote:
bolcas wrote: I'm also self employed, with all my incomes coming from outside of Europe (Canada and USA only).

Finland does consider you tax resident since you spend more than half the time here. If Spain also considers you tax resident, then general liability is done using the tax treaty tie breaker rules. The first tie breaker rule is having a residence available. Presumably this would be where you live with your fiancé since I assume you will stay with family in Spain. However, it's impossible to conclusive answer your question based on the information available.
Yes, that is correct. I will stay with family in spain, and in the house my fiancé is renting in Finland.